World Cup

Londonboy

Reaction score
That early in the game during a tournament I would have went yellow.
If only to avoid being in the record books for earliest Red card given in a WC game.
But it wasn't a terrible call, just a game resulting one.
It was the only call the Ref could make, deliberate handball to stop a clear goal scoring chance is an automatic red card, the time it occurred is irrelevant.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ireland WON 3-1 against Uruguay last June. And it was a comfortable 3-1 win.

I'm not going to argue over European results. My point is that a lot of supposed mid ranking Europeans would qualify if they played in South American qualification. I think South America is over represented in the WC due to FIFA politics.

My view is that places should be determined by results. Should be 4 qualifying zones: Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia/Oceania. Each should havd only 4 automatic spots. The remaining 16 should be based on results alone - each zone getting a spot for each team that reached the final 16 in the most recent tournament. This would be fair to all regions.
You are simply wrong, lol.
Europe is not as hard to qualify as South America.

South America has no weak sides. They have only 10 teams period.
They don't get to avoid each other. EVERY South American side has to play Brazil and Argentina.
Chile is a top 10 ranked FIFA side that just missed the World Cup.

IF there was a ranking based spot the first one would have went to Chile. Northern Ireland would have gotten in before Ireland.

But poor Euros... ROFL. No one is crying for any Euro sides when they have 14 teams at the tourney.

If you can not ascend to the top 14 in Europe NO you do not deserve to be in the World Cup.

And yes, because it is the WORLD CUP they want every region represented.
This stuff is common sense to anyone that's not crying in their beer because their team sucked.

The Americans are right there with you on the sidelines and except we are all saying "too bad we sucked" like adults.
Not crying and making excuses.

Ireland has only ever made the World Cup 3 times, winning a meager 2 games.
If they had to play in the heat and humidity of South America they'd wilt and die over 90 minutes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It was the only call the Ref could make, deliberate handball to stop a clear goal scoring chance is an automatic red card, the time it occurred is irrelevant.
We've all seen more egregious calls not made there.
And time is usually a factor.
It hit his upper arm not exactly a blocked shot hand block.

It was deliberate and stupid but I think it could have gone either way.
Yellow at a minimum but judging it deliberate left room for a less harsh ruling.
Yellow and 1-0 lead then Columbia subs the dolt off and probably go on to win.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Regardless of when that happens, that's a straight red for me. You can't just use your hand on a ball that is a clear path to goal. It's always a red card for me.
I understand the take and if you reffed that way consistently then it's fair.
But simply google "handball not given" and you will see that it is not always as such.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I understand the take and if you reffed that way consistently then it's fair.
But simply google "handball not given" and you will see that it is not always as such.

Oh, I know. It's just the way I'd ref that, and I haven't an issue with the red card that match.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Oh, I know. It's just the way I'd ref that, and I haven't an issue with the red card that match.
I reffed basketball, flag American football and youth "soccer".
So my take has a lot to do with that. I always wanted players to decide the game.
In this case the kid who made he stupid play is probably just done for the tourney now and if they don't make it out of the pool he will be a marked man back home.Sad.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I reffed basketball, flag American football and youth "soccer".
So my take has a lot to do with that. I always wanted players to decide the game.
In this case the kid who made he stupid play is probably just done for the tourney now and if they don't make it out of the pool he will be a marked man back home.Sad.

Oh, I do too. I want the players to decide the game. Something like that sort of determines itself for me.

Flamma

Reaction score
Tough officiating day.
Poland and Columbia both have gripes. Very early red card and such.

Poland definitely. Even though I thought Senegal outplayed them for most of the game. On the other hand, the Colombian player stopped a sure goal with his forearm. I definitely think the right call was made. Colombia is still the better team, just tough luck.

Londonboy

Reaction score
We've all seen more egregious calls not made there.
And time is usually a factor.
It hit his upper arm not exactly a blocked shot hand block.

It was deliberate and stupid but I think it could have gone either way.
Yellow at a minimum but judging it deliberate left room for a less harsh ruling.
Yellow and 1-0 lead then Columbia subs the dolt off and probably go on to win.
What is it about this that You don't understand?
Deliberate denial of a goal by handball (and handball is a term used for the entire arm and all attached digits) is and can only be a red card, the Ref has no room for interpretation, it's mandated as a red card.
He clearly moved His arm to block the ball, it was heading in, what are You trying to debate here?

Flamma

Reaction score
Its a perfect example of why every region should only be guaranteed 2 teams (a sacrifice to preserve regional diversity) and the remaining spots should be awarded based on world ranking. Panama and Tunisia have no biz in this tourney.

I agree. But rankings can be iffy. Russia is ranked 70 and they are clearly better than many teams ranked in front of them. But I do agree that there are too many teams that should not be in there taking away spots from better teams in different regions.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
L6yt.gif

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Portugal and Spain in a goals race? If both teams win their last two games that will put them at 7 points each, do these two teams care about who finishes first/second in their group?

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Its a perfect example of why every region should only be guaranteed 2 teams (a sacrifice to preserve regional diversity) and the remaining spots should be awarded based on world ranking. Panama and Tunisia have no biz in this tourney.
If that is the case it should not be called the world cup.In 2026 it will be 48 teams just imagine.

Flamma

Reaction score
Oh absolutely you care. You want the easiest path to the finals lol

The best team is not always the one that wins the group. Regardless, you're going to have to face the best eventually. Spain and Portugal just want to advance. They think they can beat anyone, they won't care who they have to play.

csirl

Reaction score
If that is the case it should not be called the world cup.In 2026 it will be 48 teams just imagine.

A bit like the Egirls calling themselves World Champions even though they have never played a team from another country...

csirl

Reaction score

48 is too many for a finals tourament. I am fearful that in the future elite players will start dropping out - or feel pressurized to drop out - f International football if the tournaments get bigger and start impacting on their club careers.