World Cup

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ranking sides ahead of knock outs...
Form plus talent.

1. Belgium. May be bias but when you have Michy as your back up 9 and De Bruyne PLUS Hazard? Yes, that's good.
Add WC GK Thibo and well that's a deep, quality side with experience and skill and size and speed.

2. Croatia. Luka is having one right? They've looked sparkling.

3. Uruguay. Look, when you allow no goals in group play but also have Cavani and Suarez you are a serious threat.

4. England. Appears to have FINALLY found right mix of manager and talent. Skill and athleticism both vastly improved over even 2016 Euros team.

5. Brazil. Might top the list for raw talent but execution is always the ask for Brazil and the long-time steadying force of Marcelo appears to be banged up. Add Neymar seems in poor form possibly due to nagging injury and I'd say they are on the whole overrated right now.

6. Mexico. Small but very quick and skilled group who will be a match up nightmare for folks. Weird tactical change for SWE (4 at back) saw them lose badly but sitting on 6 points entering game 3 they can be excused some tinkering.

7. Portugal. Ronaldo is the best player in the world at this moment. 4 goals allowed and only a +1 is a bit concerning facing Morocco and Iran.

8. Spain. New coach a couple days before tourney and a weird mix of old and new guard Spanish players. De Gea playing very poorly. But still capable of some of the most beautiful play of anyone.

9. Columbia. I'd rate them more highly if their best player James hadn't been limping off injured last game. 3rd minute red only thing to prevent them getting 9 points.

10. Sweden. Give them this. They know who they are. They pass poorly and take on no one via dribbles but they are very direct. They defend hard as can be then counter straight at goal. They understand the intensity they need to play at.

11. France. SOOOOOO much talent but honestly form has been awful and they have been flat boring to watch:( Not sure the manager has the plot. Then again this is the type of team who can come alive when facing better squads. Still a fair chance to win it all.

12. Argentina. Dreadful form but like France so much talent. Time for some lineup changes... hopefully manager Messi agrees and makes them....

13. Switzerland. The X men play hard and did enough to get through the group but it was not an overly impressive 3 games.

14. Russia. Probably should be higher due to home field advantage but Uruguay handled them rather easily and the newness has worn off for visiting teams.

15. Denmark. Essentially eeked in on a missed PK by Peru. 2 goals scored in 3 games doesn't offer much confidence as you face the rest of the 15 teams left.

16. Japan. IMHO not a better team than Senegal but they did enough to squeak in and kudos for that.

9darter

Reaction score
Form plus talent.

1. Belgium. May be bias but when you have Michy as your back up 9 and De Bruyne PLUS Hazard? Yes, that's good.
Add WC GK Thibo and well that's a deep, quality side with experience and skill and size and speed.

3. Uruguay. Look, when you allow no goals in group play but also have Cavani and Suarez you are a serious threat.

4. England. Appears to have FINALLY found right mix of manager and talent. Skill and athleticism both vastly improved over even 2016 Euros team.

5. Brazil. Might top the list for raw talent but execution is always the ask for Brazil and the long-time steadying force of Marcelo appears to be banged up. Add Neymar seems in poor form possibly due to nagging injury and I'd say they are on the whole overrated right now.

6. Mexico. Small but very quick and skilled group who will be a match up nightmare for folks. Weird tactical change for SWE (4 at back) saw them lose badly but sitting on 6 points entering game 3 they can be excused some tinkering.

7. Portugal. Ronaldo is the best player in the world at this moment. 4 goals allowed and only a +1 is a bit concerning facing Morocco and Iran.

8. Spain. New coach a couple days before tourney and a weird mix of old and new guard Spanish players. De Gea playing very poorly. But still capable of some of the most beautiful play of anyone.

9. Columbia. I'd rate them more highly if their best player James hadn't been limping off injured last game. 3rd minute red only thing to prevent them getting 9 points.

10. Sweden. Give them this. They know who they are. They pass poorly and take on no one via dribbles but they are very direct. They defend hard as can be then counter straight at goal. They understand the intensity they need to play at.

11. France. SOOOOOO much talent but honestly form has been awful and they have been flat boring to watch:( Not sure the manager has the plot. Then again this is the type of team who can come alive when facing better squads. Still a fair chance to win it all.

12. Argentina. Dreadful form but like France so much talent. Time for some lineup changes... hopefully manager Messi agrees and makes them....

13. Switzerland. The X men play hard and did enough to get through the group but it was not an overly impressive 3 games.

14. Russia. Probably should be higher due to home field advantage but Uruguay handled them rather easily and the newness has worn off for visiting teams.

15. Denmark. Essentially eeked in on a missed PK by Peru. 2 goals scored in 3 games doesn't offer much confidence as you face the rest of the 15 teams left.

16. Japan. IMHO not a better team than Senegal but they did enough to squeak in and kudos for that.

This is good stuff! Nice review/power ranking.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I was looking at the brackets and think Spain could go all the way to the finals and might actually win it since the other side of the bracket the teams will have to play each other and will beat each other up physically.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Form plus talent.

Good read and kudos for trying to sort out what has been an unpredictable WC.

My concern with Uruguay is that they played very weak competition in the group stage. I also think the Swiss deserve a higher ranking based on the opposite.

Belgium is the undisputed best at this point followed by Croatia and Brazil IMO. I'm sorry to see you losing faith in Les Bleus and am eager to see how they look against Argentina with Pogba, Mbappe, etc back in the lineup.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Good read and kudos for trying to sort out what has been an unpredictable WC.

My concern with Uruguay is that they played very weak competition in the group stage. I also think the Swiss deserve a higher ranking based on the opposite.

Belgium is the undisputed best at this point followed by Croatia and Brazil IMO. I'm sorry to see you losing faith in Les Bleus and am eager to see how they look against Argentina with Pogba, Mbappe, etc back in the lineup.
Agreed on Belgium.

Haven't really lost faith in France so much as they've just underwhelmed. They beat Peru in almost against run of play fashion and had a terrible boring tie with Denmark.
I thought they'd dominant AUS but won only 2-1 with a mere 55% possession.
They could very well tighten up and win it all and yes they have luxury of playing lots of folks so we likely haven't seen their best 11 or effort yet.

Uruguay did have an easy group for sure but they also won so easily. Never trailed or even gave up a goal. Led by 2 nasty strikers that ability to keep shape and defend is huge. But I think it's fair to say I overrated them a bit while I'd say they are the team everyone wants Brazil/Argentina to be.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:laugh:
7Lmx.gif

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
People are way overrating England. They barely beat Tunisia. Sure they scored six on Panama but Panama sucks.

France played possum in the round robin but have a scary round of 16 game. Wouldn't be surprised to see them lose.

Bigdog

Reaction score
People are way overrating England. They barely beat Tunisia. Sure they scored six on Panama but Panama sucks.

France played possum in the round robin but have a scary round of 16 game. Wouldn't be surprised to see them lose.
England could make it to the Semis which would be sweet. They have to beat Colombia which I believe they can and then the winner of Sweden/ Swiss game. No disrespect to the Swedes or the Swiss, the English should be favors in that match. I do fill that Croatia and Spain are better but they might play each other in the quarters.

Londonboy

Reaction score
That would be a terrific WC campaign for England considering our past shortfalls since the 2006 WC.
No it wouldn't.
Sorry mate, but patting Ourselves on the back and declaring it a triumph for reaching the occasional Qtr and Semi-final is why We haven't won anything for over half a Century.
We have the Worlds richest league, being mediocre should not be deemed acceptable.

joseephuss

Reaction score
No it wouldn't.
Sorry mate, but patting Ourselves on the back and declaring it a triumph for reaching the occasional Qtr and Semi-final is why We haven't won anything for over half a Century.
We have the Worlds richest league, being mediocre should not be deemed acceptable.

I don't think the EPL being the world's richest league really matters in building up the England national team. The top teams in EPL have many foreign born players leading the way. There are few great teams that are made up of mostly England born players.

Over the last decade the top teams in La Liga, Serie A, and Bundisliga featured many Spaniards, Italians and Germans, respectively. Those players gained a familiarity with each other that they then turned to success with their national teams. England has not had that type bond from club to national team. Their the top league because they feature the most diversity.

JBS

Reaction score
Form plus talent.

Definitely a contender..don't think they're the best..winning vs England also wasn't smart

Agree that they are the second best team right now..

Not technically sound enough to be rated this high..very solid defensively..not a top 5 team...

I like this team..talented, especially w Kane leading the charge up front..also in a good position to proceed

Definitely my pick to win the whole thing..I disagree w most people..I think they have looked fine the majority of the tournament so far..coutinho is probably my pick for Golden ball winner as of now

This team isn't good. I said it before they got crushed 3-0 vs Sweden..they have no chance to do anything..even if they weren't playing Brazil

The rest of these teams you can probably mix and match

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No it wouldn't.

I suppose fair enough. What I'm saying though is that it's an improvement though. Hopefully, we make it further than that, but it'd be an improvement.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
England could make it to the Semis which would be sweet. They have to beat Colombia which I believe they can and then the winner of Sweden/ Swiss game. No disrespect to the Swedes or the Swiss, the English should be favors in that match. I do fill that Croatia and Spain are better but they might play each other in the quarters.

They did get an easy draw.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Round of 16 predictions:

France
Uruguay
Brazil
Belgium
Spain
Croatia
Switzerland