World Cup

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes lol, that's probably true. Still, I'd say the pressure is on with how brilliantly the U20 squad did.
Not to be a party pooper but it usually takes a cycle and a half to 2 cycles for the U20s success to translate.

England has good play on attack but seems soft at GK and FB. Kane, Vardy up front could really score. Sterling as a winger...

I hope RLC gets a lot of time as I think he's a really good young 2 way player with huge things on the horizon.

Weird to see England with so much offense and a lack of defenders and GK.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not to be a party pooper but it usually takes a cycle and a half to 2 cycles for the U20s success to translate.

England has good play on attack but seems soft at GK and FB. Kane, Vardy up front could really score. Sterling as a winger...

I hope RLC gets a lot of time as I think he's a really good young 2 way player with huge things on the horizon.

Weird to see England with so much offense and a lack of defenders and GK.

Yeah, GK has been a problem with England for ages.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
2 weeks till showtime! 2 weeks till showtime! I'm looking forward to this World Cup!

1280px-Flag_of_England.svg.png

(Will be featured in my signature starting next week, I expect, until the WC ends)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a pickem game for the WC. It would be fun as a group see who could predict it.

Well, why not do a thread here? We could do a fun one where you get certain points for who correctly predicts the top 4 teams, who guesses the Final, and the winner of the final.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Well, why not do a thread here? We could do a fun one where you get certain points for who correctly predicts the top 4 teams, who guesses the Final, and the winner of the final.

Sounds like fun I am not very good with that kind of stuff if someone wants to set up something. Not sure how hard it would be to have points for group winners and teams that get out of there group then predict the knockout rounds.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Germany loses to Austria 2 to 1. Man Germany have not got it going yet and have struggled in their games leading up to the World Cup. Still expect them to be their at the end but this team just doesn't look like the Germany of old. Cracks are surfacing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Germany loses to Austria 2 to 1. Man Germany have not got it going yet and have struggled in their games leading up to the World Cup. Still expect them to be their at the end but this team just doesn't look like the Germany of old. Cracks are surfacing.

Meh, from what I saw in the Confederations Cup, I'd say that they'll be fine in this WC. They played that cup with just younger players. I think they'll come around by the time the WC starts.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Meh, from what I saw in the Confederations Cup, I'd say that they'll be fine in this WC. They played that cup with just younger players. I think they'll come around by the time the WC starts.
Agree. I think it was their B team that they sent and won it. Germany is always tough. Expect them to be in the semis. France is looking good also. Can't count out Spain or Brazil and any time you have a guy like Messi, you have to count Argentina. US really screwed this up but so did Holland, Italy and Chile.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agree. I think it was their B team that they sent and won it. Germany is always tough. Expect them to be in the semis. France is looking good also. Can't count out Spain or Brazil and any time you have a guy like Messi, you have to count Argentina. US really screwed this up but so did Holland, Italy and Chile.

I know it's two different sports, but I look at Germany like the New England Patriots. They'll always be the favorite until someone knocks them out.

Londonboy

Reaction score
When are they bringing out the obligatory out of tune WC song where they all sing Eng-ger-land and the chorus is sung by an England player.
They decided not to release one this year, a small victory for music lovers.

This is the only WC anthem I've ever liked, I'm English, not Scottish, but I've always loved the blind optimism, with a great dig at the Auld Enemy thrown in.

For the record, Scotland failed to get out of the group stages, after losing to Peru and drawing with Iran.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
They decided not to release one this year, a small victory for music lovers.

This is the only WC anthem I've ever liked, I'm English, not Scottish, but I've always loved the blind optimism, with a great dig at the Auld Enemy thrown in.

For the record, Scotland failed to get out of the group stages, after losing to Peru and drawing with Iran.

I wasn't alive at the time but by all accounts we were genuinely hopeful of winning it that year.
Also discovered recently that the Peru team that shocked us in the first game were the reigning Copa America champions so not sure why that was thought to be a foregone conclusion. Guess it was before the days of the internet or even Sky so a lot of folk wouldn't have known that at the time.

Italia '90 is the first tournament I remember and that squad really was a disappointment going out in the groups, '86 as well looking back.

As for World Cup songs our next one in '82 "We Have A Dream" is arguably better than Ally's Army. By '98 the level of expectation had changed somewhat as the song was called "Don't Come Home To Soon." Rather predictably we put in a good performance but ultimately lost to Brazil, beat Norway and then capitulated in the final group game against the supposed whipping boys (Morocco) to get knocked out in the groups again.
Sometimes you just have to agree with Renton in Trainspotting.

Londonboy

Reaction score
I wasn't alive at the time but by all accounts we were genuinely hopeful of winning it that year.
Also discovered recently that the Peru team that shocked us in the first game were the reigning Copa America champions so not sure why that was thought to be a foregone conclusion. Guess it was before the days of the internet or even Sky so a lot of folk wouldn't have known that at the time.

Italia '90 is the first tournament I remember and that squad really was a disappointment going out in the groups, '86 as well looking back.

As for World Cup songs our next one in '82 "We Have A Dream" is arguably better than Ally's Army. By '98 the level of expectation had changed somewhat as the song was called "Don't Come Home To Soon." Rather predictably we put in a good performance but ultimately lost to Brazil, beat Norway and then capitulated in the final group game against the supposed whipping boys (Morocco) to get knocked out in the groups again.
Sometimes you just have to agree with Renton in Trainspotting.
I never liked "We have a dream" bit too kumbaya for My taste, "Don't come home too soon" has got to be the worst sporting battle anthem of all time, definitely the least Scottish, "Ally's Tartan Army" has style and swagger and humour, shame the Team couldn't live up to it (although Archie's goal at least salvaged some pride).