World Cup

Bigdog

Reaction score
Brazil will get number 6
I don't know about that. The Germans took the Euros with their B team. France is loaded and anytime you have Messi you can't count out Argentina. He is so fun to watch. I know I have said I am pulling for Germany ( still am dumbfounded how the US screwed up qualifying) but sentimentally I would not mine Messi winning the Cup. Should be an in interesting tournament.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I don't know about that. The Germans took the Euros with their B team. France is loaded and anytime you have Messi you can't count out Argentina. He is so fun to watch. I know I have said I am pulling for Germany ( still am dumbfounded how the US screwed up qualifying) but sentimentally I would not mine Messi winning the Cup. Should be an in interesting tournament.
Germany is a scary team. Messi and Ronaldo have always been better on the club level where they are surrounded by better talent not as much on the World level. You would expect him to at least have a Copa America or something. Argentina even with Messi don’t scare me. The US men’s team needs better coaches.

Carson

Reaction score
Germany is a scary team. Messi and Ronaldo have always been better on the club level where they are surrounded by better talent not as much on the World level. You would expect him to at least have a Copa America or something. Argentina even with Messi don’t scare me. The US men’s team needs better coaches.

The US needs better coaching and players.

It’s getting stale seeing the same few guys like Bradley, Altidore, Guzan trot out there and fail!

Londonboy

Reaction score
Maybe this will be the time that Belgium's "Golden Generation" lives up to the hype and produces on the big stage.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
The US needs better coaching and players.

It’s getting stale seeing the same few guys like Bradley, Altidore, Guzan trot out there and fail!
Not to make this a racial thing but with as many Latin immigrants as are in the USA and as good as Latins are at soccer the US should be really good. I’d kinda like to see them maybe go after a Brazilian coach.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
We should drop the men’s national team. We suck at soccer.
Failing to qualify might just be the kick in the pants you need. One day, the U.S will produce it's own golden generation of players and then you will be established as one of the worlds top national sides for decades. Now that the game has properly taken root at grass roots level, schools and colleges, it's only a matter of time before it happens.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
US issue was simple. MLS is awful and it lured our best American players back from Europe with big contracts to prop up attendance in that B league.
Those players almost to a man took a step back.
We can have a handful of MLS guys but it can't be the leaders and best players.
That was something Klinsman had right.

US needs to bring in a European coach and continue what Klinsman had going building the younger generation through Europe.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Major Euro countries don't even take guys on their national teams that aren't playing well in very high level Euro leagues.
Part of why you see guys switch Club teams so often.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
US issue was simple. MLS is awful and it lured our best American players back from Europe with big contracts to prop up attendance in that B league.
Those players almost to a man took a step back.
We can have a handful of MLS guys but it can't be the leaders and best players.
That was something Klinsman had right.

US needs to bring in a European coach and continue what Klinsman had going building the younger generation through Europe.

Exactly, and I figured that we were kinda screwed with Arenas. I thought we MIGHT be able to make the WC on talent alone, but I didn't think we'd get out of the Group Stage if we DID make it. Obviously, the MLS idea was even worse than I thought it'd be. We have ONE player on a major European squad.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Exactly, and I figured that we were kinda screwed with Arenas. I thought we MIGHT be able to make the WC on talent alone, but I didn't think we'd get out of the Group Stage if we DID make it. Obviously, the MLS idea was even worse than I thought it'd be. We have ONE player on a major European squad.
We've actually got a lot of guys in Bundesliga and a few in EPL but they are buried on the bench mostly.
Only Pulisic is seen as "world class".

The biggest thing is to leave those guys in Europe and not have them rush back to MLS.
The benefit of not making the world cup is those younger players aren't the household names they would have been thus won't be overpaid to come back.
Very small silver lining but it probably offers us a legit development course for the Cam Carter-Vickers and Hyndmans of the world now.

Arena tried to call in all those big names but those guys had mostly semi-retired to MLS And were just coasting on fumes.
Watching Pulisic try to full on carry that old man squad was just insane.

MLS is good for building the depth of the talent in the US but terrible at developing elite players because the level of comp is mostly trash.

I think the MLS should enter into an agreement with the EPL and become a league in that overall English League with demotion and promotion.
Obviously as MLS team promote they'd need to facility share with the teams in English and same for those English teams who come here.
But man you'd have such a higher level of interest in the EPL than any other league by far and you'd get the money to really build this up and eventually the MLS would be the Championship level and you could get a team like LA or NYC into the EPL but playing out of facilities such as West Ham.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We've actually got a lot of guys in Bundesliga and a few in EPL but they are buried on the bench mostly.
Only Pulisic is seen as "world class".

The biggest thing is to leave those guys in Europe and not have them rush back to MLS.
The benefit of not making the world cup is those younger players aren't the household names they would have been thus won't be overpaid to come back.
Very small silver lining but it probably offers us a legit development course for the Cam Carter-Vickers and Hyndmans of the world now.

Arena tried to call in all those big names but those guys had mostly semi-retired to MLS And were just coasting on fumes.
Watching Pulisic try to full on carry that old man squad was just insane.

MLS is good for building the depth of the talent in the US but terrible at developing elite players because the level of comp is mostly trash.

I think the MLS should enter into an agreement with the EPL and become a league in that overall English League with demotion and promotion.
Obviously as MLS team promote they'd need to facility share with the teams in English and same for those English teams who come here.
But man you'd have such a higher level of interest in the EPL than any other league by far and you'd get the money to really build this up and eventually the MLS would be the Championship level and you could get a team like LA or NYC into the EPL but playing out of facilities such as West Ham.

Exactly, and to get more people out there.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Little more than a month to go.

Still hurts knowing the USA won't be in it.
I've never had much faith in Croatia in terms of winning a World Cup, but i think they got a good shot this time. Will see.
croatia-team2.jpg