World Cup

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
For all England dominated the first half their only shot on target was a free kick in the 5th minute (unless stones header was creeping in but I'm not convinced and the stat guys didn't think so) whereas pickford made a few good/great saves, Croatia hit the post and should have had a penalty just before half-time.
England looked really dangerous when they were playing long balls for sterling to exploit his pace against lovren and vida but that aside the better team clearly won.
It's all good, there's no sour grapes here. I sincerely hope Croatia wins the final but doubt they will. I think Croatia as a team are better than the sum of their parts whereas France are a collection of talented individuals. I can't see France not scoring 2 or 3.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thought that both the quality of football and the level of entertainment dipped after the group stage? Normally the group games get rid of the also rans then the knockout games are do or die affairs between two good sides. Didn't seem to happen that way this time.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thought that both the quality of football and the level of entertainment dipped after the group stage? Normally the group games get rid of the also rans then the knockout games are do or die affairs between two good sides. Didn't seem to happen that way this time.
I didn't feel that way at all.
It's pretty typical of games to tighten up as the stakes raise.
Euro 2016 was ghastly imho but this was a fairly free flowing tourney outside a couple games where one side got an early lead then parked a bus, see England over Croatia.

I found Brazil v Belgium, Uruguay v Portugal and Belgium v France to be particularly good to watch.

I am very looking forward to the 3rd place game.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
We ran the game in the 1st half, totally dominated the midfield.
2nd half We reverted to type, stopped passing the ball and just lumped it up the pitch, what followed was depressingly familiar.
I like Gareth Southgate but I think his plan was not that good for this game

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
World Cup Final Referees
Referee: Nestor PITANA (ARG)
ASR 1: Hernan MAIDANA (ARG)
ASR 2: Juan P. BELATTI (ARG)
4th Off. Bjorn KUIPERS (NED)
Res.***.Erwin ZEINSTRA (NED)
Dh7BGKfWkAIlW84.jpg

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes, because a young team with relatively inexperienced international players making it to the Semifinals is absolutely dreadful. Honestly, I'd be happy if the COWBOYS make it as far in the postseason as England did given the current circumstances.

In fact, just a tad off-topic, the England situation going into the WC reminds me a lot of a certain NFL team that we love. Nobody expected much from England given the previous WC and the team they had. Yet, look what they did. England actually gave me a powerful weapon for this season. Hope

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
In fact, just a tad off-topic, the England situation going into the WC reminds me a lot of a certain NFL team that we love. Nobody expected much from England given the previous WC and the team they had. Yet, look what they did. England actually gave me a powerful weapon for this season. Hope

Oh, and additionally, everyone loved to kick on England's squad going into it because of the previous WC (a bit like us with our previous campaign). Oh, and each team does the EXACT opposite of their expectations...So, are we the England Cowboys?

reddyuta

Reaction score
Yes, because a young team with relatively inexperienced international players making it to the Semifinals is absolutely dreadful. Honestly, I'd be happy if the COWBOYS make it as far in the postseason as England did given the current circumstances.
please.They got enormously lucky.They wouldnt even have made it past Colombia had James played.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
please.They got enormously lucky.They wouldnt even have made it past Colombia had James played.

Just want to point out, the refs were extremely atrocious that game. In fact, I'd like to point out that a LOT of teams were turning our matches into wrestling matches, and no team did that more than Colombia. There were MANY games where we were getting blatantly fouled, and rarely did the ref do anything about it. Some of the fouls that Colombia committed (including riding on the backs of our players at times) should have been red cards. Yet, despite that, England had the heart and the players, whether you want to admit it or not, to get through it. I personally don't think James would've made a difference. It'd be interesting to see, but Colombia's players committed so many blatant fouls, it was ridiculous. I'll concede that our defence (like the Cowboys defence) was a bit underwhelming, but we did what we had to do.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
So the vodka was Svedka, I know it’s Swedish but that’s not anything to do with anything World Cup related, I only have a few different vodkas on hand right now.

Anyways it has a nice finish, almost tastes like black peppercorns. Leaves a great taste after you're finished, plus it’s relatively inexpensive.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The fact that the World Cup takes place only every 4 years is a big part of what makes it special. The fact that it takes place only every 4 years makes the day after you get knocked out horribly empty and depressing. I'm not sure if it's better or worse that it's nobodies fault but ours that we are out. Should have been out of sight by half time.
try not qualifying by losing to friggin trinidad and tobaga and realizing it will be at least 8 years between group games...
that is heinously brutal.
like getting beat up by your younger sister while your prom date looks on.

Londonboy

Reaction score
So the vodka was Svedka, I know it’s Swedish but that’s not anything to do with anything World Cup related, I only have a few different vodkas on hand right now.

Anyways it has a nice finish, almost tastes like black peppercorns. Leaves a great taste after you're finished, plus it’s relatively inexpensive.
Svedka the Swedish Vodka, that name must've taken a lot of effort to come up with.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Don't underestimate Croatia they are going to win on Sunday. France will choked it away like they always do. Croatia midfield which is superior to France will control the game and provide service to their forwards. Croatia defense is actually pretty good which will limit French chances.