World Series: Texas Rangers vs St. Louis Cardinals

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The amazing thing is that Texas got there without a true #1 starter, and then lost because they lacked a true stopper.

StylisticS

Reaction score
trickblue;4208534 said:
The Rangers should have won this series, but that's ridiculous...

I think every Ranger fan echoed Napoli when he said it was the same pitch. I cant believe the ump said one of those pitches to Molina was a ball. Same location as the previous pitch and it was a strike. Same location to Napoli and it was a strike. Would still be 3-2 if the ump called it correctly. Oh well.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Nelson Cruz = goat.

If he makes HALF the effort two nights ago that he made last night for that home run ball (climbing the fence, etc), the Rangers are celebrating for the last 24 hours.

utrunner07

Reaction score
bbgun;4208597 said:
The amazing thing is that Texas got there without a true #1 starter, and then lost because they lacked a true stopper.

I don't think anyone thinks Feliz is not a true closer. But he has to get his nerves under control, thats what always does him in.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
utrunner07;4208614 said:
I don't think anyone thinks Feliz is not a true closer. But he has to get his nerves under control, thats what always does him in.

Sorry for the confusion. By "stopper" I meant ace starter. I felt Feliz should have pitched a second inning Thursday night.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I give credit to Carpenter, After the 1st inning he settled down and threw as a #1 pitcher in the world series is expected to pitch.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4208806 said:
I give credit to Carpenter, After the 1st inning he settled down and threw as a #1 pitcher in the world series is expected to pitch.

No question.

After that first inning, the Cards and Carpenter could have closed up shop, but they manned up and did what needed to be done.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Risen Star;4208589 said:
On a side note, I think MLB needs to change the way they handle the playoffs. There is no way in hell that a wild card team should host Game 7 of the World Series. Should not happen.

Giving homefield advantage to the all star winner is Liberace gay.

Totally agree with this.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Risen Star;4208589 said:
On a side note, I think MLB needs to change the way they handle the playoffs. There is no way in hell that a wild card team should host Game 7 of the World Series. Should not happen.

I get it and agree on one hand.

But on the other hand. If you are going to have a "wild card" playoff set up then the Cards earned it.

On a Washington note:

It didnt work but I thought it would have been GREAT if Oliver was to close out hte World Series. What a way to wrap up a storied/journyman career.

The "intentions" were good.
They just didnt execute.

I was telling my girl, "How cool, Oliver has been around 20+ years and he gets to wrap up WS win"

jimmy40

Reaction score
REDVOLUTION;4210374 said:
I get it and agree on one hand.

But on the other hand. If you are going to have a "wild card" playoff set up then the Cards earned it.

On a Washington note:

It didnt work but I thought it would have been GREAT if Oliver was to close out hte World Series. What a way to wrap up a storied/journyman career.

They just didnt execute.

I was telling my girl, "How cool, Oliver has been around 20+ years and he gets to wrap up WS win"
and McNamara wanted Bill Buckner to be on the field when Boston closed out the Mets.

when I saw Oliver on the mound I almost turned the tv off, I would have bet just about every thing I own that he would blow it.

MC KAos

Reaction score
so, everytime i see this thread, it makes me sad, what do i ahve to say to get it locked without a ban? i know!!

utrunner07

Reaction score
REDVOLUTION;4210374 said:
On a Washington note:

They just didnt execute.

Thought the exact same thing. And the way he had pitched in his past couple games I did not think it would be too much of an issue...too bad. Would have been a perfect game had it ended after the hamilton home run with oliver closing it out.

yimyammer

Reaction score
tonight caps the worst week I can remember in my sports watching life, it was just one kick in the nuts after another (rangers-Texas Tech-Cowboys). I'm not going to be able to watch, read or listen to anything until the Cowboys win another game.

So discouraging....

Stautner

Reaction score
crazytown41;4208402 said:
No real shock. Like I said, can't win a championship with below average pitchers. Just doesn't happen. Team is built no different than those Pudge and JuanGone teams.

Still baffled Ron went with Harrison over Holland in game 3. Then goes with Holland again out of the pen in game 6. Your best pitcher(which isn't saying much) only starts once in a 7 game series. Unbelievable. Never put his team in the best position to win the series.

Guy is a great mascot but can't manage for crap.

You apparently missed what the pitching staff did over the season. All 5 starting pitchers had at least 13 wins, 4 of the 5 had an era below 4, opponents only hit .244 against them (6th best), they had a WHIP of 1.24 (5th best), they had 19 shutouts (2nd best), and 10 complete games (5th best). The

This is not the same kind of pitching staff as 10 years ago.

Admittedly they did not pitch well in the playoffs. Realistically the Cards pitchers were only marginally better.

Stautner

Reaction score
utrunner07;4211416 said:
Thought the exact same thing. And the way he had pitched in his past couple games I did not think it would be too much of an issue...too bad. Would have been a perfect game had it ended after the hamilton home run with oliver closing it out.

I had the same thought too. We should have used Gonzales, but if Wash has a fault it's being loyal, and Oliver had been their all year and had a long history with the Rangers.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Stautner;4216585 said:
I had the same thought too. We should have used Gonzales, but if Wash has a fault it's being loyal, and Oliver had been their all year and had a long history with the Rangers.

Yeah. He actually had a pretty good year and had done well in the playoffs in his limited appearances. It's just too bad it didn't work out. It would be have been a pretty cool moment.

Man, this one still hurts a bit. I still can't believe how close it was. Ugh.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
I've come to realize that it just wasn't meant to be, so I'm not going to fuss over it anymore. Stuff happens, doesn't make me like this team any less, it will just make it that much sweeter when/if we ever get back and win it.

I'm just sad the season is over. I enjoyed the Texas Rangers thread to escape from the crazies in the Fan Zone who seem to have issues with life.

Air Force One

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4216644 said:
I've come to realize that it just wasn't meant to be, so I'm not going to fuss over it anymore. Stuff happens, doesn't make me like this team any less, it will just make it that much sweeter when/if we ever get back and win it.

I'm just sad the season is over. I enjoyed the Texas Rangers thread to escape from the crazies in the Fan Zone who seem to have issues with life.
I agree, just wasn't meant to be. Have to live with the fickle hand of fate.