World Series

jimmy40

Reaction score
anyone watching? Waynewright for St Louis should just put the ball on a tee so far.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I hate Boston.

Big papi is great though ... Love the guy.

Boston will sweep them.... AGAIN!!

jimmy40

Reaction score
I hate Boston.

Big papi is great though ... Love the guy.

Boston will sweep them.... AGAIN!!

Hate Boston with a passion. I want to see an obvious blown call in Boston's favor and see if the umps overturn it.

Rogah

Reaction score
Hate Boston with a passion. I want to see an obvious blown call in Boston's favor and see if the umps overturn it.
I'm not even sure what this means..... the umpire at 2nd base made an atrocious call and he was rightfully overruled. I don't want to see any bad calls like that happen to either team.

FiveRings

Reaction score
So happy with this as a series. I love old fashioned, traditional baseball. Boston has some magic working for them this fall too.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not even sure what this means..... the umpire at 2nd base made an atrocious call and he was rightfully overruled. I don't want to see any bad calls like that happen to either team.

Yea, he was safe, no question.

Lets go Mets! oops, this isn't 1986 :(

jimmy40

Reaction score
yes it was a horrible call but umpires don't overule themselves like that, I want to see if they'll do it twice.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yes it was a horrible call but umpires don't overule themselves like that, I want to see if they'll do it twice.

They do in the playoffs and have been for awhile. If this was regular season, the call probably stands.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well the managers and all the talking heads are saying just the opposite.

They can talk all they want but instant replay has been there for awhile in post-season games. I will concede the fact that I have not witnessed this scenario before but the authority is/was there to overturn calls like this one. About 95% of these concern home-runs and foul balls. They met up and made the right call but it should have never come to that, he was clearly safe and he never had control on the transfer. The one area that is off limits is balls and strikes, that is strictly judgement.

jimmy40

Reaction score
They can talk all they want but instant replay has been there for awhile in post-season games. I will concede the fact that I have not witnessed this scenario before but the authority is/was there to overturn calls like this one. About 95% of these concern home-runs and foul balls. They met up and made the right call but it should have never come to that, he was clearly safe and he never had control on the transfer. The one area that is off limits is balls and strikes, that is strictly judgement.
I thought home runs and foul balls were the only things reviewable by instant replay now.
Is instant replay next year going to put an end to the neighborhood play at second? I find it funny that the ump said he was watching the foot on the bag when we all know that it doesn't even matter with the neighborhood play. I love controversial calls in baseball, keeps me from falling asleep.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's an imitation of Harry Caray saying Cubs win! Cubs win! Cubs win!

Not so sure about that one Jobs. The Yankees call was actually from Phil Rizzuto (I believe) in so far as the Yankees. Scooter started doing Yankees games in 57, I believe, right after finishing up as a Major League player. Carey didn't start doing Cubs games until 71. Now, Carey started announcing much earlier then that with the Cards, in like the 40s after the War, so it's possible that he may have made that famous with the Cards but I've never heard it so I don't know. Either way, pretty Classic stuff.

:)

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not so sure about that one Jobs. The Yankees call was actually from Phil Rizzuto (I believe) in so far as the Yankees. Scooter started doing Yankees games in 57, I believe, right after finishing up as a Major League player. Carey didn't start doing Cubs games until 71. Now, Carey started announcing much earlier then that with the Cards, in like the 40s after the War, so it's possible that he may have made that famous with the Cards but I've never heard it so I don't know. Either way, pretty Classic stuff.

:)

I may be way off base here, but.......

John Sterling is known for the phrase "The Yankees win, Theeeeeeeee Yankees win". I am not sure if he got that from Phil but don't think so.

Rizzuto coined the phrase "Holy Cow" which Harry Caray later started using. Basically, Caray used "holy Cow" and "Cubs win, Cubs win" from the above two.

I could be wrong on the "Cubs win" phrase because I am not sure what year Caray started using it, maybe he was the first, IDK.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I may be way off base here, but.......

John Sterling is known for the phrase "The Yankees win, Theeeeeeeee Yankees win". I am not sure if he got that from Phil but don't think so.

Rizzuto coined the phrase "Holy Cow" which Harry Caray later started using. Basically, Caray used "holy Cow" and "Cubs win, Cubs win" from the above two.

I could be wrong on the "Cubs win" phrase because I am not sure what year Caray started using it, maybe he was the first, IDK.

No Dex,

You may be exactly on point. I was sure that Scooter coined that phrase but I googled it and I can see no reference that credits him with it so you may be 100% accurate here.

No shame in bowing to more knowledge. Thank you for that piece of education.

;-)