Worst Case Scenario Is Playing Out

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Such a losers mentality

The true "loser's mentality" is keeping a "loser" of a coach around.

You don't breed a culture of winning by tanking, I don't care how good your draft picks are. 20 years of losing and high picks hasn't helped the Browns.

And you don't breed it with "Fight" t-shirts either. You breed it with quality players and capable coaches putting those players in the best position to make plays. And we don't have that coaching.

I prefer our team win out and breed a culture of fighting no matter what.

Good choice of wording, using "fighting" rather than "winning". Noticeable.

Hardline

Reaction score
Winning gives us momentum going into 2018
The draft is a crap shoot anyway.
Even if the Cowboys lose the last two they won't be picking where the blue chip players will be. And I expect if some of the targeted players start falling there will be a trade up.
This team needs quality over quantity in the next draft and Ill be more than happy with a better smaller draft class if the trades line up.

Last edited:

starcity214

Reaction score
I hate Garrett as much as anyone. But winning is better than losing. Come on guys. You cheer for the team to win, not lose.The draft can be good or bad regardless of your draft position.

Objectively speaking, losing your best players for multiple games is hard for any team to overcome and actually a decent excuse. We lost Zeke, Lee, Smith. Literally our best players. We would be in the playoffs with them on board.

The team can improve next year with a speed wr and te and a LB.

The main reason people want to lose is because in their view, an 8-8 season is purgatory and affects draft positioning.

I can guarantee you that most of our "best" players were drafted in the top 10.

You said we needed a speed WR but if we pick in the 18-25 range (where we are at the moment) most speed WR available will have issues such as bad hands, poor route running, character issues. So whoever we get, fans will say he sucks and that Dak needs a true number one receiver. (wich always go in the top 10 )

LittleD

Reaction score
I don't have to think it through. I'm never for losing games based on a perceived advantage you are going to gain. I want my team to win whenever it could win. Giving up does nothing for me.

Right...That strategy has worked for well over 20 years, hasn't it!?

LittleD

Reaction score
Some of the doesn't work this year.

1. In this draft, there is very little difference between drafting #14 or #23, which is the range we will be in.
2. We are locked into the 2nd place schedule next year no matter what happens in the next 2 weeks
3. The idea of Garrett being shown the door is strictly speculation. There has not been even a hint from the organization that any coaching changes have been contemplated. None.

Given the above, you may as well win. And if the planets line up right, maybe they can make the playoffs.

We should have tanked 3 games ago, I'll give you that. Making the playoffs at this stage is like rolling snake eyes instead of a 7. The statistics just don't give us any hope this year.
Drafting inside the top 10 for all rounds would have helped our team and losing the last 3 would have made firing the keystone cops coaching staff much easier. Jerry messed this all up again.

TWOK11

Reaction score
It's all relevant. No matter if we win out or tank it has no relevance to this team for next year. The team went 13-3 last year and look where we are now?

The premise is that losing out for a better draft pick results in more success than winning out but missing the playoffs. Ignoring that 10-6 would de decidedly NOT mediocre (on average only 10 teams a year achieve that) your post has no relevance in context of the premise of this thread.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Right...That strategy has worked for well over 20 years, hasn't it!?

I don't believe that strategy is the reason we haven't won a Super Bowl. If that was the case, Indianapolis would have one after Sucking for Luck. Clefveland, which drafts near the top of the draft every year, would be the greatest team in the league. New England would be one of the worst based on attrition.

I don't believe anything good comes from giving your players the mind-set that we are going to lose on purpose.

TheHerd

Reaction score
The main reason people want to lose is because in their view, an 8-8 season is purgatory and affects draft positioning.

I can guarantee you that most of our "best" players were drafted in the top 10.

You said we needed a speed WR but if we pick in the 18-25 range (where we are at the moment) most speed WR available will have issues such as bad hands, poor route running, character issues. So whoever we get, fans will say he sucks and that Dak needs a true number one receiver. (wich always go in the top 10 )

I'll leave out the kicker because, well, he's a kicker.

Here are my top 6 players currently on the team, and where they were drafted. All pretty high, 2 in the top 10:

Tyron - R1 pick 9
Elliot - R1 pick 4
Lee - R2 pick 55
Martin - R1 pick 15
DLaw - R2 pick 34
Frederick - R1 pick 31

waldoputty

Reaction score
No, No, No.

Worst case scenario would have been losing 9 or more games.
Narrative on Dak and others becomes brutal and you spend all year as a loser.

Garrett was going to be kept anyway so that point is very, very mute.

This draft isn't heavy at top but has depth. Losing 5 spots likely matters next to nothing for this team who needs a bunch of players far more than 1 guy.
But even if you did fall in love with a guy 5 slots higher you have 10 overall picks to work with and can easily move up.

We don't need a QB or DE top 10.
We need a WR/LB/OL/DT and those guys are mid first round players even when very good.

The day the season ends the team everyone will want to be going forward is Dallas.
You have picks, cap cash, young QB and the league's leader in sacks.
This team has found it's young secondary pieces and can go get speed for the offense out of this draft.

difference between 5-11 and 10-6 is not 5 spots.
probably more than 10 spots.
a top OT may go in the top 10 and we lost that opportunity.
and it is not just the 1st round.
the draft has several 2nd round wr's who can run routes and catch with their hands.
dropping at least 10 spots or more gives us less choice on those wrs.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Arm talent like that or Jamarcus Russel or Jay Cutler?

And if you agree the playbook sucks then why is Dak getting blamed for that? Because he can't overcome a outdated and aged playbook?
He cant overcome it because of his limitations throwing the ball.

Hes missing throws he should be able to make

He isnt making throws he should be able to make because he doesnt trust his arm

Hes checking down entirely too much

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He cant overcome it because of his limitations throwing the ball.

Hes missing throws he should be able to make

He isnt making throws he should be able to make because he doesnt trust his arm

Hes checking down entirely too much
And you felt this last year too?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winning gives us momentum going into 2018
The draft is a crap shoot anyway.
Even if the Cowboys lose the last two they won't be picking where the blue chip players will be. And I expect if some of the targeted players start falling there will be a trade up.
This team needs quality over quantity in the next draft and Ill be more than happy with a better smaller draft class if the trades line up.

The ole momentum theory.

Why didn't our winning last year carry over to this year? Or why didn't the losing in 2015 carry over to 2016? It's a load of bull.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
One of the most overhyped logics in sports................. that losing a couple of games at the end of a season somehow makes the team comfortable with losing.

Note, I am not suggesting we tank these last two games.

You left out the part where they would be intentionally losing. Tanking begets losing. There are no examples of NFL tanking success.