Worst Case Scenario Is Playing Out

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No, No, No.

Worst case scenario would have been losing 9 or more games.
Narrative on Dak and others becomes brutal and you spend all year as a loser.

Garrett was going to be kept anyway so that point is very, very mute.

This draft isn't heavy at top but has depth. Losing 5 spots likely matters next to nothing for this team who needs a bunch of players far more than 1 guy.
But even if you did fall in love with a guy 5 slots higher you have 10 overall picks to work with and can easily move up.

We don't need a QB or DE top 10.
We need a WR/LB/OL/DT and those guys are mid first round players even when very good.

The day the season ends the team everyone will want to be going forward is Dallas.
You have picks, cap cash, young QB and the league's leader in sacks.
This team has found it's young secondary pieces and can go get speed for the offense out of this draft.

erod

Reaction score
Don’t forget Bailey.

A healthy Bailey nails that field goal against Atlanta making it a one score game...that miss changed the game instantly.

The killer was Anthony Brown dropping a pick-six against Philly before halftime. He almost cost us the game last week, too. (Although he played well Sunday.)

LittleD

Reaction score
Yes, I can't see how beating Seattle and Philadelphia can be considered a bad thing, even if it costs us some in draft position. In hindsight, since we haven't won a Super Bowl since the 90s, I suppose that means for some fans that we should have tanked every year until we had all Super Bowl talent.

I can't be one of those fans. I want to see my team win. I want to believe that if my team can beat good teams, then there's a chance with a few changes (ones we've too often failed to make) that my team can once again become a Super Bowl contender. We do not have to have the top pick in the draft to do that and are not even guaranteed to do it if we draft 10th instead of 18th or whatever.

Tanking will never be a strategy I endorse.

You should really take 30 minutes to think through your strategy. You get two distinct benefits by tanking if your team statistically can't make the playoffs and tanks. You get to draft higher and obtain a basket of better players and you get to play a much easier schedule the following year thus giving the team an easier road to the playoffs. The third possible benefit is that Jerry might fire the brain dead coaching staff and get someone who knows how to coach and win NFL games. What's not to like? 2/3 of NFL teams stay around 8 & 8 every year and never make the playoffs. You have to take chances to get better.

erod

Reaction score
I honestly don't think firing Garrett even crosses Jerry's mind.

Not only does he not want to, the clamoring for Garrett's head just makes Jerry dig in harder.

That's always been him. Just like the GM thing.

Reaction score
The killer was Anthony Brown dropping a pick-six against Philly before halftime. He almost cost us the game last week, too. (Although he played well Sunday.)
Except that he dropped another pick 6.

He has the worst hands I've ever seen. Except for possibly Scandrick. It's almost like these guys refuse to make a play.

We could use a CB or 2 that can actually catch.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I honestly don't think firing Garrett even crosses Jerry's mind.

Not only does he not want to, the clamoring for Garrett's head just makes Jerry dig in harder.

That's always been him. Just like the GM thing.
Agreed. JJ will take this team down with this decision as the "right call" in his own feeble mind. His son will protect it too until JJ is 6 feet under or too mentally ill to know the difference.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
to those that like mediocrity

Sigh. Another homer fan who wants to overlook mediocrity in the team’s defensive personnel. Some of us don’t view the team through blue and silver goggles, diefree.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Winning enough to keep Garrett but
not enough to make playoffs; mediocre draft pick.

Stinks.
Well I will agree that we need to replace Garrett and things would look alot better if we did have someone more competent, I still think winning is always better no matter the results of doing so....

Reaction score
You should really take 30 minutes to think through your strategy. You get two distinct benefits by tanking if your team statistically can't make the playoffs and tanks. You get to draft higher and obtain a basket of better players and you get to play a much easier schedule the following year thus giving the team an easier road to the playoffs. The third possible benefit is that Jerry might fire the brain dead coaching staff and get someone who knows how to coach and win NFL games. What's not to like? 2/3 of NFL teams stay around 8 & 8 every year and never make the playoffs. You have to take chances to get better.
Some of the doesn't work this year.

1. In this draft, there is very little difference between drafting #14 or #23, which is the range we will be in.
2. We are locked into the 2nd place schedule next year no matter what happens in the next 2 weeks
3. The idea of Garrett being shown the door is strictly speculation. There has not been even a hint from the organization that any coaching changes have been contemplated. None.

Given the above, you may as well win. And if the planets line up right, maybe they can make the playoffs.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
A Brown catches a lot of flack in here. At least he's in position to make those play as opposed to others watching the opposing receivers make it. I'm probably the only one in here who likes his aggressiveness and he does take on tackles like a LB. He just need to work on his pics (but he is in position which is the hard part).

yimyammer

Reaction score

I wish a reporter would ask garrett if any defensive players ever work on the juggs machine, catching a football isn't complicated and surely repetition improves ability

Reaction score
Sigh. Another homer fan who wants to overlook mediocrity in the team’s defensive personnel. Some of us don’t view the team through blue and silver goggles, diefree.
It's more than just the personnel. Marinelli needs to go.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless they spit the bit against Oakland, I don't think it matters.

I thought I read if they win or Minny loses this weekend, they lock up home field.

Well then, there you go. Even that last week won't be a meaningful win. Quality wins are proving elusive.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Hahahah....you'd get rid of him after winning rookie of the year? How is that smart?
Because im smart enough to know that Ezekiel Elliott shouldve won that award and that this guy doesnt have “it” to be a franchise QB.

I dont know about you, but I dont want my QB being the biggest liability on offense going in to every game.