Worst Cowboys HC since we won a championship?

Valkyr

Reaction score
They actually went into seasons trying to win with Campo, Lacewell, Quincy, and Jerry.

Even if you were trying to lose like in 'Major League', you couldn't come up with a worse bunch.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I dunno about Campo. I thought he got a bad rap due to our QB situation back then. Add in the bad drafts man, Jerry did Campo no favors back then. To me it hard to tell if Switlzer did anything.

I would say
Gailey #1, for talking JJ out of Moss. The miss on Moss sent the Cowboys to the dark ages.

Parrcells #2, he did collected more talent, drafted better and brought more order but his time pass him buy. He scrap a good defense, never made it to the divisional rounds in the playoffs, and his coaching was tired and old. I still recall that beat down the Saints put on us at home and not testing the Seattle secondary during the playoffs.

Garrett #3, Besides Jimmy J , Garrett help build this team from the draft and place a emphasis on Oline play. As long as tbe Cowboys wasn't doing anything dumb we could beat any team. The problem with JG was the fact he couldn't coach. He knew nothing of scheme, adjusting on the fly, and game mgt was horrible at times.

Last edited:

Williamsboys

Reaction score
All of the above. Garrett takes the cake though because he was allowed to be here for nearly a decade.
The common denominator with them all is one Jerrah Jones.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I will say Barry Switzer was worse than all of them. Including Dave Campo on the list doesn't really seem fair. He should have never been a head coach and he was basically handed a bad roster with no money and a lousy front office.

cern

Reaction score
You are trying to move the goal post. We aren't arguing who is a great coach. We are arguing about who was the worst. Your point is moot in this argument. Campo got fired after 3 consecutive 5-11 seasons which is truly pathetic. Garrett was just good enough to string along 9 seasons from the Cowboys with one of them being Coach of the year.
I'm not arguing anything. I merely stated my opinion that garrett was the worst coach ever and proceeded to buttress that opinion with fact , something you find intolerable.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
Until McCarthy, the bungling Jerry has unilaterally chosen every coach of the cowboys. Now that Stephen is taking more and more charge of things, the bungling will stop.

plasticman

Reaction score
Again, I say the worst HC was Jerry Jones.

Wade Phillips was never a HC.

A true HC would have been given a defensive coordinator.

In addition, a true HC has an offensive coordinator that answers directly to him.

Wade Philips was the DC and answered directly to Jerry Jones.

Jason Garrett was the OC and answered directly to Jerry Jones.

When the OC and the DC answer directly to the same person, what do you call that person?

The only time that Wade Philips made decisions pertaining to offense was during games.

It was this disconnect that eventually destroyed the team in 2010, wasting good Romo years and the defense built by Bill Parcells.

You can't rank any HC that came after Jimmy Johnson, they never had a chance to do things their way, they were all sabotaged by that egomaniac and it continues to this day.

Dre11

Reaction score
aikman was one of Garrett’s best friends

just stop with the stupidity

Talk about stupidity, As a professional Aikman can be Garrett's friend and still be objective, just as he is as a Cowboys fan every Sunday that he commentate the cowboys games.
He also addressed that in that interview. Stupidity just smacked you in the face.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
While we’ve had one constant leading Cowboys Football since our last championship , we’ve had 6 different HC’s unable to take us back to a Super Bowl or even a championship appearance .

How would you rank them during this time frame.

Here’s my order of worst Cowboys HC during this stretch:
Campo
Switzer
Phillips
Gailey
Garrett
Parcells

Not sure how we could place anyone but Campo with the 3 straight 5-11 seasons on the bottom. And Switzer left a mess of the dynasty Jimmy built. Wade left a mess of the team Bill had built. Gailey could possibly be ranked 2nd above Garrett as he probably did as much as anyone with what he had left . Jerry even admits cut him loose too soon.

The reason I rank Garrett that high is based on his record , division titles and playoff wins which the latter two are more than the rest combined. Despite his coaching flaws and dysfunctional situation he helped steer our franchise in a better direction and has helped influence this roster in a greater position to contend.

One of the best measurement of coaching despite records is have you left the team in a better position than when you took over. There’s only 3 HC in Jerry’s era which meet that criteria. Jimmy, Bill and Jason.

Jerry Jones.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not arguing anything. I merely stated my opinion that garrett was the worst coach ever and proceeded to buttress that opinion with fact , something you find intolerable.
That's BS. Every reply of yours to me has been about why you are right and I am wrong. In Texas we call that an argument buddy. I'm fine with you having your own opinion but so I have mine too. So if you want to go back and forth about why you are right and I'm wrong then, prepare for a debate. I welcome facts like Garrett was once Coach of the Year. If you want to present some facts as to why Garrett's years of coaching the Cowboys was worse than the Campo years then I welcome that too but don't confuse your hard felt opinion as facts.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another reason that I'm not fond of Garrett is I don't think he ever earned the job in the first place. Campo, Phillips, Gailey, and others at least put in years working their way up the chain. They earned the opportunity to try their hands as NFL head coaches based on their coaching resumes. Garrett was simply handed the position through nepotism.
:clap:

Well said.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Again, I say the worst HC was Jerry Jones.

Wade Phillips was never a HC.

A true HC would have been given a defensive coordinator.

In addition, a true HC has an offensive coordinator that answers directly to him.

Wade Philips was the DC and answered directly to Jerry Jones.

Jason Garrett was the OC and answered directly to Jerry Jones.

When the OC and the DC answer directly to the same person, what do you call that person?

The only time that Wade Philips made decisions pertaining to offense was during games.

It was this disconnect that eventually destroyed the team in 2010, wasting good Romo years and the defense built by Bill Parcells.

You can't rank any HC that came after Jimmy Johnson, they never had a chance to do things their way, they were all sabotaged by that egomaniac and it continues to this day.

Wade Phillips brought his hand picked DC with him from San Diego in Brian Stewart. He along with st coach Bruce Read became the fall guys on the staff after the 08 season.

cern

Reaction score
That's BS. Every reply of yours to me has been about why you are right and I am wrong. In Texas we call that an argument buddy. I'm fine with you having your own opinion but so I have mine too. So if you want to go back and forth about why you are right and I'm wrong then, prepare for a debate. I welcome facts like Garrett was once Coach of the Year. If you want to present some facts as to why Garrett's years of coaching the Cowboys was worse than the Campo years then I welcome that too but don't confuse your hard felt opinion as facts.
2015. 1-11 without tony. That is a sorry excuse for a hc by any standard. Jg is the tomothy leary of the cowboys. He's on the outside looking in.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
They actually went into seasons trying to win with Campo, Lacewell, Quincy, and Jerry.

Even if you were trying to lose like in 'Major League', you couldn't come up with a worse bunch.
I think the “bunch” we just let go is worse!!

Still have Jerry, but maybe he has finally realized the importance of coaching and game planning for a specific opponent.

Dre11

Reaction score
Jason is to troy as joe buck is to troy.

lol..again Dumbness at its finest. Aikman is a professional, and has criticized JG as well in the past. too think someone cant do their job because they're friends is absolutely asinine

cern

Reaction score
lol..again Dumbness at its finest. Aikman is a professional, and has criticized JG as well in the past. too think someone cant do their job because they're friends is absolutely asinine
Jason is to troy as jerry Lewis is to dean martin.