Worst Cowboys HC since we won a championship?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
While we’ve had one constant leading Cowboys Football since our last championship , we’ve had 6 different HC’s unable to take us back to a Super Bowl or even a championship appearance .

How would you rank them during this time frame.

Here’s my order of worst Cowboys HC during this stretch:
Campo
Switzer
Phillips
Gailey
Garrett
Parcells

Not sure how we could place anyone but Campo with the 3 straight 5-11 seasons on the bottom. And Switzer left a mess of the dynasty Jimmy built. Wade left a mess of the team Bill had built. Gailey could possibly be ranked 2nd above Garrett as he probably did as much as anyone with what he had left . Jerry even admits cut him loose too soon.

The reason I rank Garrett that high is based on his record , division titles and playoff wins which the latter two are more than the rest combined. Despite his coaching flaws and dysfunctional situation he helped steer our franchise in a better direction and has helped influence this roster in a greater position to contend.

One of the best measurement of coaching despite records is have you left the team in a better position than when you took over. There’s only 3 HC in Jerry’s era which meet that criteria. Jimmy, Bill and Jason.

Whenever I've graded head coaches, I give Gailey an incomplete. He wasn't coach long enough to have been given a fair shot.

cern

Reaction score
^ Yet another OPINION offered as fact in the response of FACTS offered as facts. Garrett... Coach of the Year. Campo... 5-11 X 3. :muttley:

You play a weak game that I will swat down all day long. Come at me strong or don't bother at all. Dig?
garrett coaching the team to 1-11 without tony is not opinion. it is fact. I agree campo was out of his league. but so was garrett.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which coaches in Jerry era influenced building the best teams and most talent? Jimmy, Bill and Jason

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
try downy fabric softener when next you wash your knickers. it will keep them from wadding up.
:) Try understanding the difference between your opinion and facts and when given facts stop coming back with your weak opinion as if they have they carry the same weight. It's a very weak game you play.

cern

Reaction score
:) Try understanding the difference between your opinion and facts and when given facts stop coming back with your weak opinion as if they have they carry the same weight. It's a very weak game you play.
1-11 sans tony is a fact. it is you who either does not understand or obtusely refuses to understand for your own purposes. when tony went down with injury, garrett coached the cowboys to a 1-11 record with weeden, cassell, and our new oc, Kellen moore. we finished the season 4-12. double up on the downy.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
1-11 sans tony is a fact. it is you who either does not understand or obtusely refuses to understand for your own purposes. when tony went down with injury, garrett coached the cowboys to a 1-11 record with weeden, cassell, and our new oc, Kellen moore. we finished the season 4-12. double up on the downy.
:rolleyes: So the coach is the worst we've ever had because his starting QB got hurt? What a moronic stance. Are you sure that's the cross you want to die on? :facepalm:

cern

Reaction score
:rolleyes: So the coach is the worst we've ever had because his starting QB got hurt? What a moronic stance. Are you sure that's the cross you want to die on? :facepalm:
a great coach does not go 1-11 because his starter goes down. as I recall, the eagles won a super bowl a few years ago when their starting qb went down. is that opinion, too. triple the downy.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
a great coach does not go 1-11 because his starter goes down. as I recall, the eagles won a super bowl a few years ago when their starting qb went down. is that opinion, too. triple the downy.
You are trying to move the goal post. We aren't arguing who is a great coach. We are arguing about who was the worst. Your point is moot in this argument. Campo got fired after 3 consecutive 5-11 seasons which is truly pathetic. Garrett was just good enough to string along 9 seasons from the Cowboys with one of them being Coach of the year.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Biggest problem I have with JG is the fact that he wasn't horrible enough to fire, but not great enough to win.

I'd rather see them be horrible or great....mediocrity is a death sentence.

I would rank JG pretty high for that alone.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Campo, the talent was aging and putrid but he had no control over the team on the and off the field. Larry Lacewell and Jerry were running those god awful teams.
JG is a close 2nd though.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Campo, the talent was aging and putrid but he had no control over the team on the and off the field. Larry Lacewell and Jerry were running those god awful teams.
JG is a close 2nd though.
Dave also just was in way over his paid grade. It was like oil and water. IT NEVER WORKS WELL TOGETHER.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dave Campo is a really good-hearted guy.
But he was totally ill-prepared to be the Head Coach in Dallas.
Those were the darkest years of my Cowboys fan life.
Team didn't even expect to win a game.
The front office did him zero favors and Larry Lacewell was easily the worst GM this team has ever had but...
the team was 8 game sunder Gailey the year before they hired Campo and 10 games under Bill the year after.

Campo was so much worse than Garrett there are no words for it.

Garrett was a legit NFL head coach. He is the median, the average. Follow the expected process and get the expected result. Never too high or too low.
Campo was just an outdated DC still running Wanny's scheme who got promoted over his head.