Worst Cowboys HC since we won a championship?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dave Campo is a really good-hearted guy.
But he was totally ill-prepared to be the Head Coach in Dallas.
Those were the darkest years of my Cowboys fan life.
Team didn't even expect to win a game.
The front office did him zero favors and Larry Lacewell was easily the worst GM this team has ever had but...
the team was 8 game sunder Gailey the year before they hired Campo and 10 games under Bill the year after.

Campo was so much worse than Garrett there are no words for it.

Garrett was a legit NFL head coach. He is the median, the average. Follow the expected process and get the expected result. Never too high or too low.
Campo was just an outdated DC still running Wanny's scheme who got promoted over his head.
WELL STATED. 100% ACCURATE ASSESSMENT.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Garrett was an x's and o's guy...follow the certain process and get the desired result. THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. Coaching is so much more than that. Its about being genuine, a natural leader...nothing being forced, no bs, no canned slogans and rah rah crap. Campo was genuine, but just couldn't lead men and organize a team. YES the talent was bad, but it really wouldn't have mattered much. Jerry learned from that experiment I think.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dave Campo was a helluva db coach..that was his forte if I'm not mistaken. But to be the head guy of a team like the Cowboys requires major balls and an alpha male attitude..and it has to be evident to the players. Mike McCarthy brings that and then some. That's a big part of the battle alone..CREDIBILITY. Garrett never could get us over the hump because of that one thing. CRED. Believability matters.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dave Campo was a helluva db coach..that was his forte if I'm not mistaken. But to be the head guy of a team like the Cowboys requires major balls and an alpha male attitude..and it has to be evident to the players. Mike McCarthy brings that and then some. That's a big part of the battle alone..CREDIBILITY. Garrett never could get us over the hump because of that one thing. CRED. Believability matters.
Campo would've won the super bowl in 94 that Switzer lost.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
This thread is your way of TRYING to make Garrett look like he was a legitimate HC. By the overwhelming majority of post you are failing miserably.

Garrett lost more stupid, ridiculous and absurd ways than all these other coaches combined!

Garrett had way more talent than all these coaches. One year(2014?) he had 13 All Pros and the #1 seed in the NFC and lost!!!! Typical!! He did not have the team ready to play!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Disagree. I do not believe Jason influenced the team building in a positive manner. (Escobar and no DT's)
Your picking the weaknesses or mistakes instead of the strengths and the pieces which made this one of the better Cowboy teams several years in this era.

I’m not sure how anyone can’t see the positive influences Jason made . That doesn’t mean they were enough. But they certainly took Jerry in a better direction with more talent and some of the best teams built this Post 90’s era rivaling only Bill.

What other HC this Post 90’s era besides Bill and Jason influenced assembling these talented of teams?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This thread is your way of TRYING to make Garrett look like he was a legitimate HC. By the overwhelming majority of post you are failing miserably.

Garrett lost more stupid, ridiculous and absurd ways than all these other coaches combined!

Garrett had way more talent than all these coaches. One year(2014?) he had 13 All Pros and the #1 seed in the NFC and lost!!!! Typical!! He did not have the team ready to play!!!!
You’re misinterpreting my support of Garrett which is not directed to his game day coaching .

The fact this was one of our more talented teams this era is exactly the influence I’ve touted all of these years with Jason. I’m not arguing he made the most of it. I’m arguing he influenced our dysfunctional organization in a better direction despite his coaching weaknesses.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good question. Probably cause of Jerry’s meddling and distractions from dysfunctional situation.

Id look for McCarthy to improve on 8-8 but ultimately he’ll need to improve on the results in 2016 and 2018 and overcome Jerry. Something the rest of these coaches aren’t able to accomplish.

Garrett was just terrible. Nothing to do with overcoming Jerry. Jerry gave that joke of a coach 10 years that no one ever would have. He should be thanking Jerry up and down for his job. Anyone else would have fired that chump after 2 years.

You trying to act like Garrett was a victim of Jerry is just another attempt for you to deflect blame away from the fact you could never admit. That Garrett was a bad HC.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Your picking the weaknesses or mistakes instead of the strengths and the pieces which made this one of the better Cowboy teams several years in this era.

I’m not sure how anyone can’t see the positive influences Jason made . That doesn’t mean they were enough. But they certainly took Jerry in a better direction with more talent and some of the best teams built this Post 90’s era rivaling only Bill.

Garrett had NO strengths whatsoever other then convincing Jerry to give him a job, being likeable, and convincing Jerry NO to fire him. Anything that had to do with football Garrett was sub standard.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You’re misinterpreting my support of Garrett which is not directed to his game day coaching .

The fact this was one of our more talented teams this era is exactly the influence I’ve touted all of these years with Jason. I’m not arguing he made the most of it. I’m arguing he influenced our dysfunctional organization in a better direction despite his coaching weaknesses.

The "culture" that you claim was here with Garrett was a pathetic culture. The "culture" was a huge part of the problem here. Between the country club atmosphere and entitlement he helped promote to the dysfunction and lack of cohesion surrounding the entire coaching staff.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The "culture" that you claim was here with Garrett was a pathetic culture. The "culture" was a huge part of the problem here. Between the country club atmosphere and entitlement he helped promote to the dysfunction and lack of cohesion surrounding the entire coaching staff.
I agree. The culture and atmosphere were toxic. That’s not the influence I’m speaking of.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
campo was a clown, puppet, obvious idiot...but that lets us all know it's the Jones family that should just go away...but hey they own the team. To me however, Garrett just might be worse...he knew he was an idiot at times and seemed hell bent on doing thing his way...even if that might mean driving off a cliff..I only wish he had gone to Philly...so he could ruin them too.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
campo was a clown, puppet, obvious idiot...but that lets us all know it's the Jones family that should just go away...but hey they own the team. To me however, Garrett just might be worse...he knew he was an idiot at times and seemed hell bent on doing thing his way...even if that might driving off a cliff..I only wish he had gone to Philly...so he could ruin them too.
HAVE TO AGREE. Great guy, TERRIBLE HEADCOACH. Only thing he was missing was a clown nose and a wig. Jerry had the puppet strings . Campo was a disaster as a HC. But a top notch human.

Rayman70

Reaction score
campo was a clown, puppet, obvious idiot...but that lets us all know it's the Jones family that should just go away...but hey they own the team. To me however, Garrett just might be worse...he knew he was an idiot at times and seemed hell bent on doing thing his way...even if that might driving off a cliff..I only wish he had gone to Philly...so he could ruin them too.
remember what he would do on the sidelines? Scream, yell...throw his hands up lol...that goes to your point. Its what idiots do. Instead of teach and be a leader, he screamed and flailed. That's a sign of a not so bright guy. They think if theu yell or speak loudly that somehow that will help lol. That was Dave in a nutshell. An absolute trainwreck and bad experiment.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Since the 90’s era who were our HC’s while we assembled our more talented teams this era?
the placeholder known as Garrett. BUT Will McClay has wasted his talents on the ole carrot top. Now maybe we will see results.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
While we’ve had one constant leading Cowboys Football since our last championship , we’ve had 6 different HC’s unable to take us back to a Super Bowl or even a championship appearance .

How would you rank them during this time frame.

Here’s my order of worst Cowboys HC during this stretch:
Campo
Switzer
Phillips
Gailey
Garrett
Parcells

Not sure how we could place anyone but Campo with the 3 straight 5-11 seasons on the bottom. And Switzer left a mess of the dynasty Jimmy built. Wade left a mess of the team Bill had built. Gailey could possibly be ranked 2nd above Garrett as he probably did as much as anyone with what he had left . Jerry even admits cut him loose too soon.

The reason I rank Garrett that high is based on his record , division titles and playoff wins which the latter two are more than the rest combined. Despite his coaching flaws and dysfunctional situation he helped steer our franchise in a better direction and has helped influence this roster in a greater position to contend.

One of the best measurement of coaching despite records is have you left the team in a better position than when you took over. There’s only 3 HC in Jerry’s era which meet that criteria. Jimmy, Bill and Jason.

Has to be Campo 15 wins in 3 years.

Hell, he should have been fired on the spot US Thanksgiving 2001 when down 16 with 8 minutes to go, he decided to kick a point to be down 9 instead of going for 2 thinking it was easier to score 3 times than 2.