Worst move was getting rid of Amari Cooper?

Creeper

Reaction score
What made the move bad was what they got in return. You don't trade away a receiver like Cooper for a 5th round pick. If that is the best offer you get then say no and keep him. At the same time, let's not forget that Cooper had a habit of disappearing in half the games he plays. He was getting paid $21 million per year. Sure they could use him, but for that kind of money against the CAP was a move they felt they had to make.

bigdsgirl

Reaction score
Re-signing Gallup was a mistake and probably Pollard but we have to ride it out.
I used to be so high on Gallup wow what a disappointment but Amari is looking awfully good today pollard has been looking better lately and dowdle gotta go

Chasing6

Reaction score
I was ok with idea until I seen what we got in return and Gallup getting injured. At that point it was a dumb decision.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Comparing a 1 to a 2 is silly.

i was pro keeping Cooper. Stupid getting rid of him and locking up Gallup
Cooper would be a 2 here now. Lamb is no longer a rookie.

Saying the problem with a WR is he wouldn't constantly have huge games when his replacement has all of one big game the entire season is, what's the word, silly.

I'll take the problem with Cooper over what we have now.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He is. Our problem with Coop was he would go 175, 115, 87, 3, 9, 210 lol
I would take those numbers. Two bad games with that kind of production in four games is excellent. The problem in Dallas was we didn’t target him enough.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What made the move bad was what they got in return. You don't trade away a receiver like Cooper for a 5th round pick. If that is the best offer you get then say no and keep him. At the same time, let's not forget that Cooper had a habit of disappearing in half the games he plays. He was getting paid $21 million per year. Sure they could use him, but for that kind of money against the CAP was a move they felt they had to make.
And the money you saved went to a WR coming off an ACL injury. That is a GM Jerry move.

stinkface

Reaction score
Gallop was wasted Money. He has way underperformed based on his salary. He plays like a number 4 instead of a 2 or god forbid a 3.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Great timing on this thread as worn out as the topic is. It was started before the games kicked off today. Amari currently has 150 yards receiving early in the second quarter.
Amari has over 1100 yards with 2.5 games left. Has had mostly 3rd string QBs all year too(flacco literally off the street, Dorian, PJ Walker)

It wasnt about money. If I'm not mistaken cooks and gallups combined average annual salary is higher than Cooper's........

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Amari has over 1100 yards with 2.5 games left. Has had mostly 3rd string QBs all year too(flacco literally off the street, Dorian, PJ Walker)

It wasnt about money. If I'm not mistaken cooks and gallups combined average annual salary is higher than Cooper's........
According to Jerry in a radio interview it was about the money.

Tussinman

Reaction score
According to Jerry in a radio interview it was about the money.
Well of course he's going to say that. His actions said otherwise he turned around and spent more money on franchise tag Schultz, resigned Gallup off an injury, and then getting cooks.

Literally the first thing Cooper did when he left was restructured his deal to make it more hit cap friendly.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well of course he's going to say that. His actions said otherwise he turned around and spent more money on franchise tax Schultz, resigned Gallup off an injury, and then getting cooks
He felt Amari was making too much based on his production. He was making $20M. He was also upset he missed 2 games due to Covid.

Tussinman

Reaction score
He felt Amari was making too much based on his production. He was making $20M.
Yes but there was very little guaranteed money left which is all that matters. They could have easily restructured it to lower cap hits the next two years with the third year being basically a team option with a reasonable out.

Schultz was never getting resigned and Lamb is cheap so it's not like the WR position was hogging cap space. They spent more money for worst receivers, it would make no sense now to say he wasn't worth the money when the alternative was them spending more for worse

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The QB did have a better rapport with Cooper than he's shown with Cooks.

Sure Cooper disappeared at times but Cooks is on pace for about 50 receptions and 700 yards this season. Cooper's greatest disappearing act was more productive than that.
Which means......nothing. They got rid of Cooper for a reason.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was ok with idea until I seen what we got in return and Gallup getting injured. At that point it was a dumb decision.
No. It wasn't anything to do with what the Cowboys got in return and didn't have anything to do with Gallup.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes but there was very little guaranteed money left which is all that matters. They could have easily restructured it to lower cap hits the next two years with the third year being basically a team option with a reasonable out.

Schultz was never getting resigned and Lamb is cheap so it's not like the WR position was hogging cap space. They spent more money for worst receivers, it would make no sense now to say he wasn't worth the money when the alternative was them spending more for worse
Jerry wanted to move on and give CeeDee the opportunity to be our number one. He’s going to have to pay him.