Worst part on the OBJ trade

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Mayfield could easily establish himself as a top ten quarterback and with that being said I am not talking 9th or tenth.
a lot of great things could happen in cleveland.

til they do, i'll stick with the curse.

dckid

Reaction score
No, the worst part is that it was good for the Giants long term.
I don’t think it was good for the Giants long term. Imagine if Jerry gave Amari 21 million this year and then trade them the following year ad have 18 million of dead money?? We would be all over him and think he is even more stupid.
I love that the Giants are clueless enough to keep Eli another year and think he is better for their franchise then OBJ.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely lost it
He's got $77 million with 5 years left on that contract. That's $15.5 million a year for what might be the most talented WR in the league.

The Giants ate most of the tough money in that contract.

If he doesn't squawk for more annual $ the Browns are getting some good value at that rate.
Giants absolutely won that trade

The Giants signed him to a new contract before the 2018 season. The average value on the contract was 18M (90M over 5 years).

The Giants paid him a total of 21.5M on the new contract (20M bonus plus 1.5M base salary).

That means they paid him 3.5M over the average (18M + 3.5M = 21.5M). At worst case it cost them the 3.5M to trade him because based on the contract he was worth at least 18M for 2018. In reality he would have been 30 in the final season of the contract which means he was likely worth more in 2018 than in 2022.

The Giants received:
2019 1st (#17)
2019 3rd
Jabrill Peppers (drafted #25 overall in 2017)

Peppers had received a 5.6M signing bonus when drafted which was all paid by the Browns. With two years remaining on the contract the Giants got cap and real money value of half the signing bonus which is 2.8M of value to the Giants.

Peppers was the starting SS, punt returner and kick returner for the Giants.

He has somewhat of a slow start as a rookie but they had him playing FS which zero draft analysts thought was the position for him. In college he looked more like a hybrid SS/LB than a FS; although he did play some snaps a CB against slot WRs.

Peppers was a terrific athlete. The reason he didn't go earlier in the 1st is because everyone expected him to take a year or two to develop because he never played a set position in college. The Giants got him after the Browns gave him that needed time to develop.

Summary:
The Giants are rebuilding and got a 1st that at #17 is a very valuable pick plus a 3rd and a former 1st round pick that is better now than when he was drafted.

The Browns think they are past the rebuild stage and wanted to make a splash this year by adding players via trade and free agency. They had many premium picks to use over the rebuilding years and now probably need the star power of a player like OBJ.

It is a big win for the Giants IMO. I would loved to have traded Dez a season after he signed the big contract if the Cowboys could have gotten the same return.

It's also a win for the Browns if they are really past the rebuild stage and ready to really compete.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think it was good for the Giants long term. Imagine if Jerry gave Amari 21 million this year and then trade them the following year ad have 18 million of dead money?? We would be all over him and think he is even more stupid.
I love that the Giants are clueless enough to keep Eli another year and think he is better for their franchise then OBJ.
See my post above.

They paid OBJ for playing in 2018. His contract was 18M average and they ended up paying him 21.5M for 2018. Worst case that's 3.5M that they "lose".

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The Giants signed him to a new contract before the 2018 season. The average value on the contract was 18M (90M over 5 years).

The Giants paid him a total of 21.5M on the new contract (20M bonus plus 1.5M base salary).

That means they paid him 3.5M over the average (18M + 3.5M = 21.5M). At worst case it cost them the 3.5M to trade him because based on the contract he was worth at least 18M for 2018. In reality he would have been 30 in the final season of the contract which means he was likely worth more in 2018 than in 2022.

The Giants received:
2019 1st (#17)
2019 3rd
Jabrill Peppers (drafted #25 overall in 2017)

Peppers had received a 5.6M signing bonus when drafted which was all paid by the Browns. With two years remaining on the contract the Giants got cap and real money value of half the signing bonus which is 2.8M of value to the Giants.

Peppers was the starting SS, punt returner and kick returner for the Giants.

He has somewhat of a slow start as a rookie but they had him playing FS which zero draft analysts thought was the position for him. In college he looked more like a hybrid SS/LB than a FS; although he did play some snaps a CB against slot WRs.

Peppers was a terrific athlete. The reason he didn't go earlier in the 1st is because everyone expected him to take a year or two to develop because he never played a set position in college. The Giants got him after the Browns gave him that needed time to develop.

Summary:
The Giants are rebuilding and got a 1st that at #17 is a very valuable pick plus a 3rd and a former 1st round pick that is better now than when he was drafted.

The Browns think they are past the rebuild stage and wanted to make a splash this year by adding players via trade and free agency. They had many premium picks to use over the rebuilding years and now probably need the star power of a player like OBJ.

It is a big win for the Giants IMO. I would loved to have traded Dez a season after he signed the big contract if the Cowboys could have gotten the same return.

It's also a win for the Browns if they are really past the rebuild stage and ready to really compete.

Summary:

They traded a top 20 NFL player for a mid 1st, a pick at the end of the 3rd, and a former 1st round bust whose already two years into his rookie contract.

And I have no idea where qe're getting only paid $3.5M extra.

He has a $16M dead cap this year for the Giants, that's $16.5M paid for him to not be on their team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Summary:

They traded a top 20 NFL player for a mid 1st, a pick at the end of the 3rd, and a former 1st round bust whose already two years into his rookie contract.

And I have no idea where qe're getting only paid $3.5M extra.

He has a $16M dead cap this year for the Giants, that's $16.5M paid for him to not be on their team.

He played for the Giants in 2018.

Players don't play for free.

His contract signed before the 2018 season was 5 years for 90M. That's 18M per year (5 x 18M = 90M).

Instead he played 1 year and received 21.5M.

No Trade (Average Pay Per Year)
2018: 18M
2019: 18M
2020: 18M
2021: 18M
2022: 18M

Trade (Pay Per Year)
2018: 21.5M

Since 21.5M - 18M = 3.5M that means they "lost" 3.5M by trading him.

They only charged 5.5M of his pay to the 2018 cap.

That means they had to charge the other 16M of the 21.5M total to the 2019 cap.

Johnny23

Reaction score
The worst part of the trade is that we all have to wait seven months before he melts down, divides the locker room and Cleveland has buyer's remorse :laugh:
No he's got his buddy Juice to back him up. The LSU boys are back together again. :lmao:who am I kidding they are going to doydou diva that locker room.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lol, why do fans always feel the need to bring up he fact we won.

It was a great individual play.

Feel free to quote the Giants fan or media member that has said “Wow! What an awesome game-winning catch by Beckham!”

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol, why do fans always feel the need to bring up he fact we won.

It was a great individual play.

Feel free to quote the Giants fan or media member that has said “Wow! What an awesome game-winning catch by Beckham!”

When good morning football brought it up they were saying this catch changed the game. Was a great singular play but it didn't change that games outcome or really seem to make a difference in regards to team wins either. Just think it gets way over hyped by some people. Great catch an leave it at that.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'll bet you now that Beckham goes 90/1300 with the Browns next year. Talk about him being a drama queen all you want, but he is a stud WR. We were happy to get Coop for a first - the Browns got a top 3 WR for a first and third, plus he's already signed to a long term contract, plus his old team has to eat a decent chunk of that salary. Win-win-freaking win from Cleveland's perspective.

And the Giants look like an organization without a plan. Taking Barkley over a bunch of QBs made them look all "win now", and now they are trading away a cornerstone player makes them look like they are in dumpster fire/rebuild type territory. The only real constant I can find is that they look totally unwilling to move on from Eli Manning, even though he seems completely washed.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why are we still talking about this fool on a Cowboys forum? He was kind of relevant when he was on the roster of a divisional rival, but he not only got traded out of the division, he got traded out of the conference. He should be no more concern of ours than the bumbling going on in Oakland.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’m actually liking the Brownies team right now more than ours. Two former LSU receivers that are better than our tandem and a cocky azz QB in Mayfield, this is really going to be fun to watch. As Jerry likes to often say...The arrow is pointed up.
Then point your arrow to a Brownies forum and waste their time with your 2 cents. J/K peace bro. :D

rags747

Reaction score
Then point your arrow to a Brownies forum and waste their time with your 2 cents. J/K peace bro. :D
Joe, couldn’t sleep last night? Listen, I have been following the Boys probably longer than you so I think I’ll stick around for a little while longer. You think we are in better shape than the Browns?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Despite the great catch......we still won the game

There was a meme going around after that game, where someone replaced the football with a big L.
I have a copy somewhere, but I am sure it is out there somewhere.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Joe, couldn’t sleep last night? Listen, I have been following the Boys probably longer than you so I think I’ll stick around for a little while longer. You think we are in better shape than the Browns?
Hello no, the Brownies kick ***. J/K peace bro

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching/ hearing about his stupid 1 handed catch in a game we smoked them. Hearing how he changed the league, whatever we owned them for most of Garret's tenure here.

Wonder what Al and Chris and even ESPN will do now for when we play NY, and that play means nothing as we play them.
Will they still replay it 25 times a game.