Would anyone want Joey Harrington?

joseephuss

Reaction score
CactusCowboy said:
A year or two ago, I really liked the kid, but he just does not get it, kinda like Henson.

How can you compare the two? Harrington has been the starter for most of his 4 years. That has given him plenty of games to get an evaluation. Heck, maybe that is not enough to evaluate him, but I think he has shown about all he is going to show. Henson hasn't been on the field. Just over 1/2 of a game is no way to tell if a QB has it or not. I have no idea how to evaluate Henson because I haven't seen him.

ddh33

Reaction score
I've taken up for Harrington a lot this season. I think he's been in an awful situation there in Detroit, and I can still see glimpses of why he was so highly thought of. But comments like that one from Bly really concern me. Teammates usually just know.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Drew Brees turned it around in year 4. Delhomme just never saw the field. Harrington has had plenty of opportunities to show something. A young QB may not show great results, but still show that certain "IT" quality at the beginning of their career. I don't think Joey has done that.

I think Brees is an interesting study here. He basically turned it around once he got structure in his offense. Marty ball may be boaring but it definatly has structure to it. This, IMO, helped Brees out immensly. I agree with you about Delhomme but you can't say that about Green or a guy like Steve Young. They both had game experience but not the right situations. Harrington has not had a good opportunity to show what can be possible IMO. I think it would be very interesting to see how he might work if he were in a situation where he had some decent talent together with vet leadership.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
No thanks,,,what are we going to do with another guy that sits on the bench and has to learn. The man has showed me nothing,especially with the talent he has had around him at WR.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Harrington was a good college QB. What's funny is that his perceived strengths in the draft (ability to read defenses and poise) were his problems in the NFL. It wasn't his perceived lack of arm strength and patience in the pocket that led to his down fall.

Most QB's that fail in the NFL do so out of their inability to read defenses and adjust to the pace of the NFL. It has very little to do with passing mechanics and athleticism. David Carr is struggling too and he has a strong arm and great passing fundamentals.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
aardvark said:
The idiot GM Matt Millen should have gotten the axe...

This is off the subject but I just had to tell you that I absolutely love your sig..

I miss Tom Landry. He'll always be my favorite

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Harrington was a good college QB. What's funny is that his perceived strengths in the draft (ability to read defenses and poise) were his problems in the NFL. It wasn't his perceived lack of arm strength and patience in the pocket that led to his down fall.

Most QB's that fail in the NFL do so out of their inability to read defenses and adjust to the pace of the NFL. It has very little to do with passing mechanics and athleticism. David Carr is struggling too and he has a strong arm and great passing fundamentals.

It is such a crap shoot. Plus the position has such high expectations. Even if Harrington had moderate success, he would still be labeled a bust because a #3 overall pick is supposed to be very good right away.

I don't know if Carr will get any better, but at least he has the excuse that he plays behind the worse pass blocking offensive line in NFL history.