Would anyone want Joey Harrington?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I think Bledsoe needs somebody to wash his car and mow the lawn while he's playing away games. Joey could use the money.

Rich.............

That's why I have a huge amount of respect for you Rich. You always seem to see the big picture.

:wink2:

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Joey is a good kid and I loved going to the Oregon games and watching him. He even wanted to be a Cowboy if I remember right... been a lot of years since I talked to him. I think Joey's biggest problem is the team around him. He is really talented but it is hard for you to shine when their is nobody there to support that talent. Plus they handle the O totally different than what he was use to and what made him such a great QB for the ducks in college.

Joey needs a team like the Cowboys to shine again and to get away from a team like the Lions... IMO

baj1dallas

Reaction score
vicjagger said:
"When coaches are fired, there's one person that they look at in that development -- it's the quarterback," Bly told NFL Network. "The quarterback here has been bad, you know, as far as his play, hasn't really gotten the job done, ever since I've been here.''

Very TO-like statement. Suspend him!

Bly and TO aren't even in the same universe. Bly has given the Lions absolutely everything he's got since he signed with them. If he's saying that Joey doesn't practice hard enough, it's hard to ignore.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I think Bledsoe needs somebody to wash his car and mow the lawn while he's playing away games. Joey could use the money.

Rich.............

HAHA!! Good one!!

Hey, If Harrington wants to come here and be Bledsoe's back-up for the next 2 or 3 years then that's cool with me.

However, We better get him for dirt cheap though.

We NEED K/WR/O-line/FB/FS help next off-season...back up QB is at the bottom of the list.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KingTuna said:
HAHA!! Hey, If Harrington wants to come here and be Bledsoe's back-up for 2 or 3 years then that's cool with me.

We better get him for dirt cheap though. We NEED K/WR/O-line/FB/FS help next off-season...back up QB is at the bottom of the list.

I think Philly would definatly disagree with this statement. BackUp QB is at the bottom of this list just as long as your starter is healthy.

Right now, if we could manage to go out and win three more games but have Bledsoe sustain injury, we'd be in the playoffs with a QB starting for us who has zero games of actual starting experience. How improtant would the backup be then I wonder?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I don't know about Joey. Don't watch enough Lions ball to know what the heck's going on over there.

What I do know is that quoted interview posted here is only about half of what was said. Bly was all over the place with that conversation. When it ended I wasn't sure of what exactly it is he was wanting to say. He seemed to realize he opened a can of worms and back-peddled, side-stepped and moon-walked all over that topic. There was also a lot of "I've done everything in my power to make this team successful" type of comments....FWIW. He definitely fingered Harrington. He also pointed out other teammates with poor work ethic, bad practices etc. The only thing I got out of that interview was he didn't like the firing. The Lions are only going to get worse as the mutiny is just getting started.

Hiero

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
Bly and TO aren't even in the same universe. Bly has given the Lions absolutely everything he's got since he signed with them. If he's saying that Joey doesn't practice hard enough, it's hard to ignore.
yep the truth hurts. Bly obviously doenst like Joey and maybe neither does the rest of the team. Maybe he doesnt practice hard and thats why hes never developed.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Phrozen Phil said:
Harrington will likely need to go to a situation where it doesn't rest on his shoulders, but Bly may need to go as well. He's set himself up for trouble regardless of the outcome. I can see Harrington in a place like Tennessee or KC to learn the game more completely. I'm not sure he'd fit in Dallas, as the QB position is the ultimate mind game in the cowboy's organization.

See Jake Plummer. I'd take him for a reasonable cost. He can't be any worse than our other two backups.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hiero said:
yep the truth hurts. Bly obviously doenst like Joey and maybe neither does the rest of the team. Maybe he doesnt practice hard and thats why hes never developed.

Possibly but I'll say this, Mike McMahon was drafted by Detroit as well. When McMahon came out of Rutgers (I believe), he was pretty well thought of by many NFL people. Philly got him for a song and right now, I'd have to say that Philly definatly got the better end of that deal. For whatever reason, McMahon didn't develope in Detroit and he looks to me as if he's doing pretty well under very difficult circumstances in Philly. You can say that Harrington hasn't gotten it done and in truth, thats an accurate statement at the end of the day. However, since 1995, the Lions have had the following QBs on there rosters. Don Majkowski, Scott Mitchell, Frank Reich, Matt Blundin, Charlie Batch, Gus Frerotte, Stoney Case, Mike McMahon, Ty Detmer, Joey Harrington, Jeff Garcia and Dan Orlovsky. None of these guys have been succesful. At some point, you have to ask yourself, is it the QB or is it the organization's approach to the position?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Harrington just ain't got it. He had a good RB and good WR's and fairly decent protection. He has a lot more then a LOT of QB's have in the league and frankly just
has not done the job. Maybe its coaching, but I don't think so.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I'm not interested in Harrington. He looked promising coming out of college but he just doesn't 'get it' and likely never will. I'd rather pickup Ramsey or McCown if we just had to make a move but in truth I like our situation as it is.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I'm not interested in Harrington. He looked promising coming out of college but he just doesn't 'get it' and likely never will. I'd rather pickup Ramsey or McCown if we just had to make a move but in truth I like our situation as it is.

minus an experienced BU QB if Bledsoe were to go down?

silver

Reaction score
i actually wouldn't mind harrington. he needs a little grooming but has all the tools. he could certainly make things interesting around here.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Princess said:
minus an experienced BU QB if Bledsoe were to go down?
Yes minus the experienced backup. I've never been a proponent of the experienced backup, per se. All you get with an experienced backup is a washed up old guy who has lost his edge or never had it to start with, otherwise they would be starting somewhere else not holding down a backup spot. Every QB has to get their experience somewhere at some time and if Bledsoe goes down one of our young guys will get his.

I will repeat a litany that I have stated before. In the Cowboys history we started with Meredith backing up LeBarron, Morton backing up Meredith, Staubach backing up Morton and White backing up Staubach. None of them were experienced when they became the backup and all of them played very well for us when their turn came. I would like to see us get a new string of home grown starters going like that one and stop messing around with the position. Bledsoe will do just fine for our young guys to learn behind.

joseephuss

Reaction score
JackMagist said:

Which McCown? Josh of Arizona or Luke of Tampa by way of Cleveland?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Harrington just ain't got it. He had a good RB and good WR's and fairly decent protection. He has a lot more then a LOT of QB's have in the league and frankly just
has not done the job. Maybe its coaching, but I don't think so.

This is a miss conception, IMO. Harrington hasn't had a stellar line up. Mike Williams has not had a very good rookie year, IMO, thus far. He has been injured and somewhat unproductive. Roy Williams, while very productive on the field, has been nicked up this year. Charles Rogers, well, basically he's a wasted pick at this point. He's never been there. Kevin Jones, an extremely talented RB, has started every game this year. At this point, he's rushed for 523 yards in 11 games. His average per carry this year is 3.3 yards. Pollard is the starting TE. He has 29 catches this season. He's a vet but nothing special IMO. The one thing he does have is experience with 11 season. The OL is very interesting for Detroit. Kelly Butler is there LT. I watched Butler at Purdue and he's very talented. Lots of ability there. Actually reminds me of Adams a bit. Problem is motivation for that guy IMO. This is his first year starting. He's played 11 games, all this season so basically, a rookie even though it's his second year. The other Tackle is Jeff Backus. He's the only real solid guy on the OL IMO. He's been there 5 years and started every single game since coming into the league. Woody was the big FA signing for Detroit in 04. He's solid but he's playing out of position IMO. He's there LG. He's a better Center IMO. Kosier is the other guard and he's basically a journeyman type guy. First year in Detroit and he's been injured all season. Started 6 of 11 games but really hurt all year. Raiola is the Center but I think he's undersized. At 6-1, 295, he is more technique then anything and he just doesn't create a great deal of push IMO, which is why the running game struggles. He does have good mobility, which helps in a WCO but not really a power running game type guy. The commen them, to me, about Detroit is stability. The WCO is relatively new to this team because you look at there skilled players and there OL and you see youth everywhere. Rogers has three years but has only played in 12 games, starting 9. Roy Williams has 2 years but only 18 starts. Mike Williams is a rookie with 9 games. Kevin Jones is a 2nd year guy with 25 starts. Butler is basically a rookie in a new offense with 11 games. Woody is out of position, in his 2nd year in this offense with 27 games. Raiola has 43 starts in the offense but he's not a great center to me. Kosier has 6 starts in this offense. Backus is the only real experience guy on the OL with good ability. The WCO is not an easy offense to learn. The problem, IMO, is the extreme youth and experience offensively. It would be difficult for anybody, including an experienced WCO QB like Garcia to be succesful in that situation.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Harrington reminds me so much of Steve Young years ago. Yes, I would definatly take Harrington if the financial situation were correct. I would not give him a huge contract but I would probably give him a respectable one. He's definatly better then either Romo or Henson right now. I also don't think he needs to sit a couple of years. He would probably have to if he came to Dallas but he's a guy, IMO, that would be able to step in and start for you if Bledsoe went down. I would be very interested in signing a guy like that to back up Bledsoe if he were interested in doing something like that.

Remember, the same type of things were being said about Drew Brees, Jake Delhomme etc. Heck, I remember the same things being said about Trent Green and countless others. Joey Harrington is only in his fourth season and I would say that he's never been in a situation, his entire pro career, where you can honestly say he's had good coaching and good supporting cast. I would take this guy if the money could be worked out.

Drew Brees turned it around in year 4. Delhomme just never saw the field. Harrington has had plenty of opportunities to show something. A young QB may not show great results, but still show that certain "IT" quality at the beginning of their career. I don't think Joey has done that.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Which McCown? Josh of Arizona or Luke of Tampa by way of Cleveland?
Josh McCown from 'Zona was who I had in mind. I like him and Ramsey because I have seen both of them take a beating through no fault of their own and keep coming back for more. I like gutsy QB's and I think both these guys have the talent to start for someone if they get a shot with the right coach.