Would Cowboys consider taking Penix or Nix in 1st round?

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys already got a QB with a pick in this year's draft, correct?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It'd take far more than a good QB pick in this year's draft to take the Cowboys out of their problems.
They're just playing catch-up now! For starters, it'd help their cause if they had a decent FO. :grin:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I suppose some might see Lance that way but I don’t see him as our heir apparent . More of an insurance policy or future backup. Or probably more of those risk we take .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Pennix drops to late 1st round someone for sure is trading back into the 1st to snag him imo. A very Raiders move.
That’s what this writer was saying.

So if your need of a QB these might be worth it instead of waiting until next year. It’s hard to know yet if we are need. Only our owner would know.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Bo Nix is actually a few months older than Trey Lance believe it or not.

The difference is one would be controllable for five years if taken in the first round, and the other is a free agent in March.

csirl

Reaction score
100% we should draft a QB in the first round. I'd draft another one in the late rounds for depth. Could you imagine the new energy there would be around the franchise with 3 promising young QBs in the QB room?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Penix is one of those QBs we see almost every year that starts climbing up draft boards in March and April. I don’t know if it’s him but one of these QBs teams are looking at in the first round was a projected 3rd or 4th round pick not that long ago. I’m terrified of these QBs that start rising up draft boards prior to the draft. Can’t think of any of them that panned out. It’s the ones that drop for whatever reason like Marino and Rodgers that usually turn out. I can think of a bunch of college QBs that skyrocked up draft boards leading up to the draft like Akili Smith who went bust. Teams continue to over draft QBs which is one reason so many go bust.
Draft's a crap shoot actually,

conner01

Reaction score
No, not when they can get an outstanding center, lineman, or dtackle. They can also trade back and get an additional top 100 player.
Reaching for a second round QB in the first would be the icing on this terrible off season cake Jerry has cooked up

conner01

Reaction score
Draft's a crap shoot actually,
The first round you have a very high pct of players who are actually quality nfl starters. The one position you get the most misses at in the first is QB because teams always over draft QB’s. But most other positions actual busts are reasonably rare. They may not be all pro but most are at least quality starters

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Another local news service just reported Cowboys are looking at Nix if he’s there at 24.

John813

Reaction score
I think someone like Nix would do better if he could sit for a full year. Although, it wouldn't do him too much favors if the entire coaching staff is cleaned out the next and he has a brand new playbook and OC/QB coach etc.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'm with the dak guys, I would be scared to pick anybody who has the potential to take our leader's job.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Bo Nix is actually a few months older than Trey Lance believe it or not.

The difference is one would be controllable for five years if taken in the first round, and the other is a free agent in March.
I believe it. Feels like Nix has been in college forever, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Both he and Penix have strong experience in NCAA.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
While both were initially expected to go early in 2nd round there has been recently some rumors they could go late in 1st round if you have that need.

There was a write up this week in local papers how the Cowboys could trade down to gain an extra pick in 2nd or 3rd round allowing them to reach later in 1st round if you believed either of these QB’s were potential starters . They aren’t likely to be there later in 2nd round.

Teams often stretch and mortgage much to draft what they hope is their next franchise QB. And if we are considering or looking to move on from Prescott this would seem like a good move to make .

Why wait until next years draft when there is some good prospects which could be there for us in this draft. This all pends of course if we are truly prepared to move on.

I’m not sure I wouldn’t put these two QB’s close to same category as the top 4 expected to be drafted in 1st round.

Those top 3 QB’s all going to bad teams could be more of a rebuild while here they’d get at least one season behind Prescott taking over more of a playoff caliber team which I’d argue sets them more up for success.

I thought it was an interesting article while not allowed to directly post or link here.
every year, the QB class is all about hope. hoping you hit on one. 80% of first round QBs are a miss. better ratio in top 10, although 2021 was 0%.

but you have to take a chance.

so right now, everyone has opinions, favorites, can't miss prospects until they are in NFL and most find out, they weren't all that. at the time Mahomes was being drafted they were folks on this forum, discussion drafting QBs and they said mahomes was a system QB and is doomed to fail in NFL. they were arguments constantly and some of their favorites, can't miss prospect like Kizer, Webb and Beathard never amounted to anything.

this year is no different.