Would Cowboys consider taking Penix or Nix in 1st round?

starman22

Reaction score
No team writes off a season in April, especially with the draft coming up. It just doesn’t happen. They’ll write off a season during a season that’s going nowhere. It’s silly that some of you think the team is preparing to tank in 2024. :rolleyes:
They sure haven't prepared to excel this season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They sure haven't prepared to excel this season.
That’s because they need the cap space for three players that could be looking to reset the market. The Joneses know they could be in for a rough 2024 season. They certainly won’t say that but they know it.

starman22

Reaction score
That’s because they need the cap space for three players that could be looking to reset the market. The Joneses know they could be in for a rough 2024 season. They certainly won’t say that but they know it.
It may just be 2 players they are looking to re-sign.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
no more good athletes slow reader combos. If you can't have it all with another Mahomes, I'd rather take a fast thinker, even if he isn't the most mobile QB. Pair that with a good running game and you're on. The head has to be right, that's what you need in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I still wouldn't do it, even if I knew they were moving on from Dak after this season. Not even next year either. The fear is wasting a first round pick on a QB that isn't that good, but good enough to get us 8 wins.

If they move on from Dak, start Lance in 2025. Get a top 3 pick in 2026.
No doubt if you don’t think either of these QB’s are potential legit starters then yea you pass.

But that’s certainly not the evaluation by most scouts and why they are both moving up in draft status .

And waiting a couple more years to draft a heir apparent would possibly waste the core we have already assembled not even knowing what could be there in a couple years .

If we think we can draft at least as good or close to as what we have we should take it . If it’s a flop then so be it . At least we haven’t intentionally put our future on hold for a couple years .

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The chances of that happening according to my chart is 1.6%.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Too many holes on the roster to use a 1st on a player that won’t contribute right away.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be the ultimate whooooaaaaa moment.

I wish I could see Prescott's face if it happened.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too many holes on the roster to use a 1st on a player that won’t contribute right away.
So you're an Eagles puke AND you don't understand the draft.

Green Bay never should have drafted Aaron Rodgers.

Flamma

Reaction score
No doubt if you don’t think either of these QB’s are potential legit starters then yea you pass.

But that’s certainly not the evaluation by most scouts and why they are both moving up in draft status .

And waiting a couple more years to draft a heir apparent would possibly waste the core we have already assembled not even knowing what could be there in a couple years .

If we think we can draft at least as good or close to as what we have we should take it . If it’s a flop then so be it . At least we haven’t intentionally put our future on hold for a couple years .
Under normal circumstances you'd be right. It's common sense. I'm trying to find some way to win a championship. Another Dak isn't going to do it based on the Jones team building philosophy. Even on a rookie contract. We need one much better.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don't think so. They need to see what they have in Trey Lance first; if indeed the grand plan is moving on from Dak.

Like I just said in another thread, the Cowboys are doing this all wrong. By keeping Dak in 2024 they are basically setting themselves up to draft in the 20's again next April. Which means no shot at a top QB if indeed Dak leaves in free agency next year.

And if they plan to keep Dak, they should have gotten it done by now, freed all they cap space they need to free, and also get Lamb's deal done by now too.
If they can trade Dak for picks, it frees up 29 mill in 2024 cap.

(Or just cut him)

Currently, Dallas is -$6 million, as of today.

We need at least 20-30 million free just to operate.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Yea, the entire premise of drafting a QB early would mean the Cowboys are either ready to move on or not hopeful a deal can be done with Prescott.

And once that decision is made why wait until next year to draft a QB if there’s one available this year.
we do this then BANG Dak is signed to a 300 million dollar deal for 2 years lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If they can trade Dak for picks, it frees up 29 mill in 2024 cap.

(Or just cut him)

Currently, Dallas is -$6 million, as of today.

We need at least 20-30 million free just to operate.
how do, didn't we just create space, we had to have space to have signed the RB we just signed

shabazz

Reaction score
No, not when they can get an outstanding center, lineman, or dtackle. They can also trade back and get an additional top 100 player.
Getting the next Biadasz doesn't advance this team to the next level.....a franchise QB does.