Would Cowboys consider taking Penix or Nix in 1st round?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
While both were initially expected to go early in 2nd round there has been recently some rumors they could go late in 1st round if you have that need.

There was a write up this week in local papers how the Cowboys could trade down to gain an extra pick in 2nd or 3rd round allowing them to reach later in 1st round if you believed either of these QB’s were potential starters . They aren’t likely to be there later in 2nd round.

Teams often stretch and mortgage much to draft what they hope is their next franchise QB. And if we are considering or looking to move on from Prescott this would seem like a good move to make .

Why wait until next years draft when there is some good prospects which could be there for us in this draft. This all pends of course if we are truly prepared to move on.

I’m not sure I wouldn’t put these two QB’s close to same category as the top 4 expected to be drafted in 1st round.

Those top 3 QB’s all going to bad teams could be more of a rebuild while here they’d get at least one season behind Prescott taking over more of a playoff caliber team which I’d argue sets them more up for success.

I thought it was an interesting article while not allowed to directly post or link here.
Nix would make an excellent Cowboy..............

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I prefer Nix but both are good prospects.
I like Penix because he is accurate likeTroy was and that is something that is hard to teach a qb either they are or they aren't. Can he make all the throws with velocity is something I've never investigated but he and Nix probably will be long gone anyway.

quickccc

Reaction score
Only if I had a hard demand from Dak himself that he wants out kicking and screaming from the Dallas Cowboys ...then i would have to do the Favre-Rodgers..Rodgers/Love transition. ...and Prescott is not that ego-maniac and near as old as Favre/Rodgers at their end.

i get hat Prescott wants to continue/end his career with Cowboys - and this was a guy that finished 2nd in the entire NFL in NFL MVP voting.
That's still something to build upon, around and he's more proven than what we know about Penix or Nix ...

stiletto

Reaction score
They won't this year. Next year maybe and the new coach will be in on it.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
While both were initially expected to go early in 2nd round there has been recently some rumors they could go late in 1st round if you have that need.

There was a write up this week in local papers how the Cowboys could trade down to gain an extra pick in 2nd or 3rd round allowing them to reach later in 1st round if you believed either of these QB’s were potential starters . They aren’t likely to be there later in 2nd round.

Teams often stretch and mortgage much to draft what they hope is their next franchise QB. And if we are considering or looking to move on from Prescott this would seem like a good move to make .

Why wait until next years draft when there is some good prospects which could be there for us in this draft. This all pends of course if we are truly prepared to move on.

I’m not sure I wouldn’t put these two QB’s close to same category as the top 4 expected to be drafted in 1st round.

Those top 3 QB’s all going to bad teams could be more of a rebuild while here they’d get at least one season behind Prescott taking over more of a playoff caliber team which I’d argue sets them more up for success.

I thought it was an interesting article while not allowed to directly post or link here.
Jerry is now 81 years old. Usually men in that age have no more need for a penix.

So id say: No.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Once you get past the lies, please do some research. You'll be heartily disappointed to see Dak has led the Cowboys to wins against good teams as well.
Not good teams. Good defenses.

We had that before. You named the eagles win and the bucks win. Thats it.

He cant compete on a regular basis against good defenses. And thats why he loses in the playoffs. Because usually you go against better defenses there.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not good teams. Good defenses.

We had that before. You named the eagles win and the bucks win. Thats it.

He cant compete on a regular basis against good defenses. And thats why he loses in the playoffs. Because usually you go against better defenses there.
How many times do the Niners need to beat down on us with him looking like a stumbling fool out there???

42-10 can't even score over 20 pts in 3 meetings vs them.

Motorola

Reaction score
Only if I had a hard demand from Dak himself that he wants out kicking and screaming from the Dallas Cowboys ...then i would have to do the Favre-Rodgers..Rodgers/Love transition. ...and Prescott is not that ego-maniac and near as old as Favre/Rodgers at their end.

i get hat Prescott wants to continue/end his career with Cowboys - and this was a guy that finished 2nd in the entire NFL in NFL MVP voting.
That's still something to build upon, around and he's more proven than what we know about Penix or Nix ...
Prescott puts in two more seasons ala 2023...he will have most of the significant records for the franchise at that position.
(And perhaps finally everything falls into place for the team to go on a deep playoff run along the way.)

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I do NOT see them taking a QB in the first because they absolutely could NOT sell that as "all-in" for 2024. More like "hedging our bets for 2025".

Sandyf

Reaction score
The question is will we draft a QB in the draft. If we do then probably sixth or seventh round or sign one or two UDFAs. As to trading Dak or Lance, highly doubt it but wouldn't be surprised if they traded Cooper Rush in the draft.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The question is will we draft a QB in the draft. If we do then probably sixth or seventh round or sign one or two UDFAs. As to trading Dak or Lance, highly doubt it but wouldn't be surprised if they traded Cooper Rush in the draft.
Can't see how drafting a QB would pan out.....it appears a waste of a pick. If Dak is extended, there's no need for a back-up (with Rush/Lance). If Dak isn't extended, then Lance gets either a taste of starting this year or, will get a 1/2 year 'show me contract' with a guarantee to start (hopefully behind a decent O-Line).
If Lance fails his 2025 chance we'll be in a decent position to draft a QB (from a decent draft position and with that decent O-Line).
The most important aspect is the O-Line (just remembering the line which Dak played behind in his Rookie season).