Would Cowboys trade Amari Cooper?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They have an entire team to build.

WR isnt really the place to start.

Not sure what you mean. You wouldnt trade Cooper to anyone but the Jets?
I think he's saying because Jets will probably get the 1st or 2nd overall picks. But I agree I don't think the Jets are trying to salvage their season. You may can get a 2nd from them but yeah in a rebuild....you aren't starting with receiver.

kevm3

Reaction score
Possibly, however those young players could form the nucleus of a super bowl contender.

I'd love to believe that but given what we've been drafting on defense, those guys would be spending the majority of their career out of the league, sitting on the bench with an ice pack on them, or on another team

Zordon

Reaction score
What have they done? They've sucked lol. Mind you his departure coincided with Khalil Mack leaving as well but let me guess he's a "beta" too huh?
8:30 mark, does that sound like an alpha or beta to you? Did you watch Michael Irvin play? Or Deion? Or Haley? Have you guys forgotten what real alphas look and sound like?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Last I heard, Judd Garrett was involved. I don't know who it is now.

I wouldn't think that the Ravens would have the cap space to afford to pay Cooper?
:huh:
And that's a good point too. I made a post last week when the Ravens got Yannick....they are over the salary cap right now and have about 4 or 5 Pro Bowlers needing new contracts next season. Few offensive linemen too. Going to be interesting to see what they do.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd love to believe that but given what we've been drafting on defense, those guys would be spending the majority of their career out of the league, sitting on the bench with an ice pack on them, or on another team
Hey, if we continue to suck on drafting D, nothing's going to matter anyway. However, not making at least an effort to build this team up to super bowl contender is much worse than worrying about not drafting well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
8:30 mark, does that sound like an alpha or beta to you? Did you watch Michael Irvin play? Or Deion? Or Haley? Have you guys forgotten what real alphas look and sound like?

I never gauge what players say in interviews to determine if they are alpha or a beta. 99% of them don't even want to do the interviews to begin with.

If I Did that I'd probably be thinking Marshawn Lynch was a beta........

You're comparing Michael Irvin and Deion play on the field to Cooper's post game interview demeanor?

kskboys

Reaction score
Why in the world would the Jets trade for Amari? You guys are kooky.

Teams that trade for high priced WR's are ones who think they're a WR away. Jets are dumping, not trading for.

Zordon

Reaction score
I never gauge what players say in interviews to determine if they are alpha or a beta. 99% of them don't even want to do the interviews to begin with.

If I Did that I'd probably be thinking Marshawn Lynch was a beta........

You're comparing Michael Irvin and Deion play on the field to Cooper's post game interview demeanor?
Ok, then explain why he was off the field on the critical 4th down play last year in Philly?

kevm3

Reaction score
They have an entire team to build.

WR isnt really the place to start.

Not sure what you mean. You wouldnt trade Cooper to anyone but the Jets?

Our offense looked awful prior to Cooper getting here. If we had Jimmy Johnson here, sure, we could look at stockpiling draft picks and going for defense, but looking at our defensive draft history, no way I'm getting rid of a strength on this team for anything other than a top 5 pick. Here's a brief overview of some of our defensive drafts

Trystan Hill - has he shown anything really?
Randy Gregory - has hardly played any games
LVE - great for a year and then those injury concerns came to fruition
Byron Jones - came into his own at corner at the end but now he's on another team
Jaylon Smith - had a great year with LVE but now looking like one of the worst LBs in the league
Taco Charlton - cut by both the cowboys and dolphins
Awuzie - Steadily getting lit up
Jordan Lewis - how many holding calls can a guy get?

kevm3

Reaction score
While I would love to keep all 3 top WRs, if we had to get rid of one, I'm keeping Gallup and Lamb.

Just Sayin'

Doesn't Gallup only have a year left on his contract? We don't know if he even wants to be here and he's going to be up for a big payday too... might be less than Amari, but then again we don't know what Gallup will look like when he's receiving the main attention from defenses.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Doesn't Gallup only have a year left on his contract? We don't know if he even wants to be here and he's going to be up for a big payday too... might be less than Amari, but then again we don't know what Gallup will look like when he's receiving the main attention from defenses.
We have Gallup for the 2021 season, and I'm certain he will be cheaper than Cooper, while not missing as nearly as many plays.

Now if he does not want to be here, then sure trade him first. But has he given ANY indication that he wants to he anywhere else? If he has, missed it.

As far as getting the main attention, good luck with that with Lamb on the other side.

Gallup may never be as good as Copper is, but he's close enough that I have no issues with him going up against the other teams top CBs. Hell, if it wasn't for what is essentially a NFL version of a NBA flop, we could talk about how Gallup abused one of the Top CBs in the NFL in Ramsey week 1.

In any case, Lamb is why Cooper is expendable.

kskboys

Reaction score
So, make Gallup want to be here. How? Win. How do we win? Build the D. How do we build the D? Trade for draft picks.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There were only 2 positives in my mind in taking Lamb. One, that allowed them to move on from Cooper and his contract and two, kept him away from PHL.

The question is will Gallup have Alvin Harper aspirations and not want the #2 spot and that contract?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It all comes down to what teams offer. Stephen doesn't have it in him to shop cooper so teams will have to come to him and they'll have to offer a 1st. Once you are deemed their guy this front office will not get rid of you unless it's a complete lopsided deal. They should be looking to trade a WR for decent draft capital ie cooper for a 1st, possibly Gallop for a 1st. But they won't. Stephen will say Cooper is his guy and we will watch Gallop play his last year here next season just to let him walk.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This isn't;' just this year though. I'm not naive about the player Zeke is. He was never a breakaway Chris Johnson type. He did have some ability though his rookie year and first two seasons.....if Zeke needs 4 Pro Bowlers on that line then why do I have him on my team?

Chris Johnson ran 4.24 forty at the combine. So I guess he's not like Johnson, silly comparison. And Zeke had ability for 3 years then lost it? At age 25?

Didn't say he needed 4 Pro Bowlers, he had zero the last game, and only 1 starter, who probably shouldn't even be starting. But other than perhaps Barry Sanders no back is doing much with this line, there simply aren't holes to run through most times. I remember back in the Emmitt days he went 2-3 yards before he was even touched. If you want a comparison, just look at the Cowboys SB XXX game, after one good run, Emmitt was shut down running the ball the rest of the game, the Steelers made a concerted effort to be sure Emmitt didn't beat them. Well he didn't, but Irvin, Novacek et al and the two Larry Brown interceptions did. No holes, the running game is going no where.

But that's fine, cut Zeke and when he goes for 1,800 yards with a team that has a good offensive line, what will people say?

Oops, we goofed? Small consolation..

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From PFT, I thought this might make for some good conversation and debate:

The Cowboys seem to be in fire sale mode, particularly in the midst of a “this is fine” fire on the defensive side of the ball. Here’s the question: Would they trade offensive players, too?

There’s one name to wonder about as the trade deadline approaches, in our view. Receiver Amari Cooper.

Yes, the Cowboys gave up a first-round pick to get him two years ago. Yes, they gave him a new contract after the 2019 season ended.

But consider these facts. First, CeeDee Lamb fell into their laps after Cooper re-signed. Second, Michael Gallup is signed through 2021 to a bargain-basement rookie deal. Third, Cedrick Wilson is pretty damn good. Fourth, with Dak gone for the rest of the season, Cooper becomes a luxury the Cowboys don’t need.

Even though Cooper signed a five-year, $100 million contract, it’s really a two-year, $40 million deal. If someone would offer them a first-rounder for Cooper right now (last year, Mohamed Sanu brought in a second-round pick at the deadline), the Cowboys would be crazy to say no.

“But what about the cap consequences?” you may ask. Trading Cooper would trigger an $8 million charge in 2021, but it would be offset by avoiding $20 million in cash and cap space — creating a $12 million net-cap gain for the Cowboys in 2021.

So any contending team out there looking for a high-end receiver (like the Packers), the window could be open to snatch Cooper from the Cowboys.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/28/would-cowboys-trade-amari-cooper/

kskboys

Reaction score
Chris Johnson ran 4.24 forty at the combine. So I guess he's not like Johnson, silly comparison. And Zeke had ability for 3 years then lost it? At age 25?

Didn't say he needed 4 Pro Bowlers, he had zero the last game, and only 1 starter, who probably shouldn't even be starting. But other than perhaps Barry Sanders no back is doing much with this line, there simply aren't holes to run through most times. I remember back in the Emmitt days he went 2-3 yards before he was even touched. If you want a comparison, just look at the Cowboys SB XXX game, after one good run, Emmitt was shut down running the ball the rest of the game, the Steelers made a concerted effort to be sure Emmitt didn't beat them. Well he didn't, but Irvin, Novacek et al and the two Larry Brown interceptions did. No holes, the running game is going no where.

But that's fine, cut Zeke and when he goes for 1,800 yards with a team that has a good offensive line, what will people say?

Oops, we goofed? Small consolation..
Cutting Zeke makes zero sense.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score

Unironically attempting to classify men as "alpha" or "beta" is about as cringe as it gets.

Especially since in your case you seem to define "alpha" as toxically masculine. Your examples are a guy with mental issues, a criminal who probably has mental issues, and one of the biggest loudmouths in sports history.

And then you go further and imply that "alphas" as you define them are the only ones who can win a game haha what

You seem kinda beta but what do I know, I don't view the world through the lens of who is and isn't "manlier" than someone else, and i certainly don't define manliness by who talks the most, the loudest, or has the longest rap sheet.