Would Cowboys trade Amari Cooper?

HungryLion

Reaction score
That is correct IF the team agrees to eat those GTD cap hits.
Which no team is doing and trading you any value for.

DAL would eat 4M now and free up 20M next year for GB or whomever to take on 6M this year, 20M GTD AND the 2022 GTD hitting on the 5th day of 2022.
No team is doing that. That's 46M for 2.5 years of Cooper and you give up a 1?? rofl.

For DAL to trade Cooper for a 1 they'd have to eat the GTD money by restructuring and paying the 20M as a bonus now.

OR DAL keeps Cooper, restructures him next year down to a cap hit of ~8-10M and considers moving him in 2022 when a team could restructure him ahead of that 20M GTD.
They can save plenty money by simply keeping him.

If DAL is to win in 2021 then they certainly need the passing attack. Ced Wilson looks good but that's a shallow bench with Gallup, CeeDee and Wilson as starters.
Amari is 26 years old. This would be like ATL trading Calvin Ridley.

99% of what Florio types is nonsense.

They may if they plan on keeping Cooper for the length of the contract.

any team that trades for him owns his right for 4 more seasons after this one

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Gallup is the one who would fetch a second or a third.

And he is the one who has played way worse than Amari this year.

Trade him

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I wanna buy a Benz I'm not taking over payments from someone in year 1 of their loan that has terrible credit plus giving them their cash down payment back.

No team is eating all the GTD money and offering you a 1 for a WR.
Florio is a goofball who posts complete and total made up nonsense like the Dez tape.

Dallas would have to restructure the deal to eat the 20M GTD in order to get a high pick.
The team would STILL assume the likely guarantee for 2022 but could get in front of that with their own restructure.

Amari is 26 and not the guy to move right now. His value is higher in Dallas where he can have his cap hit lowered in the off-season to free up cap space and you still maintain arguably the best WR corps in football for a returning Dak Prescott.

If you have decided to just tank and let Dak walk then so be it. Trade everyone off but you are at square zero and starting over from scratch. That might literally kill Jerry Jones.

This is very different from previously stating that they couldn't financially afford to trade him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And what’s the hit rate on 2nd round picks for the cowboys especially on defense?

I’m trading Cooper for another trysten hill or Jaylon Smith or chido?

No thanks.

I would rather just keep him
And try to outscore everyone than take a 2nd and pray the cowboys hit on a defender in the 2nd.
Respect the opinion.

Yep, I definitely would like to have more confidence than the second rounders have shown.

However, they are going to have to get some defensive dudes somehow. This at least gives us a shot at drafting one w the pick, and signing another w the salary savings.

They need to get it right at some point or it doesnt much matter.

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's the deal: It's OK for fans to overvalue our own players. It's what we do. However, it's a team killer if your GM does it.

Amari will be gone by the time we're good again. Just facts. Get some young players in here instead and it could speed up the process.

Brooksey

Reaction score
From PFT, I thought this might make for some good conversation and debate:

The Cowboys seem to be in fire sale mode, particularly in the midst of a “this is fine” fire on the defensive side of the ball. Here’s the question: Would they trade offensive players, too?

There’s one name to wonder about as the trade deadline approaches, in our view. Receiver Amari Cooper.

Yes, the Cowboys gave up a first-round pick to get him two years ago. Yes, they gave him a new contract after the 2019 season ended.

But consider these facts. First, CeeDee Lamb fell into their laps after Cooper re-signed. Second, Michael Gallup is signed through 2021 to a bargain-basement rookie deal. Third, Cedrick Wilson is pretty damn good. Fourth, with Dak gone for the rest of the season, Cooper becomes a luxury the Cowboys don’t need.

Even though Cooper signed a five-year, $100 million contract, it’s really a two-year, $40 million deal. If someone would offer them a first-rounder for Cooper right now (last year, Mohamed Sanu brought in a second-round pick at the deadline), the Cowboys would be crazy to say no.

“But what about the cap consequences?” you may ask. Trading Cooper would trigger an $8 million charge in 2021, but it would be offset by avoiding $20 million in cash and cap space — creating a $12 million net-cap gain for the Cowboys in 2021.

So any contending team out there looking for a high-end receiver (like the Packers), the window could be open to snatch Cooper from the Cowboys.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/28/would-cowboys-trade-amari-cooper/

For a 1st round pick yes and maybe even a 2nd. We have an abundance of Wr's and we need to build the defense

kevm3

Reaction score
Stephen loves him some bargains!
Can't forget Gerald McCoy as well who was cut before this season even started. I think our only decent pickup was Aldon Smith, who looked like he has mailed it in

When we look at our history of free agency and drafting on defense, I don't think I take that risk of trading Amari. Couple that with a DC who has produced some of the worst defense in the league, that's a recipe for disaster

Our recent defensive pickups looked like:
Gerald McCoy - didn't even make it to the season
Brandon Carr - was mediocre here. Came back this year and never seen the field.
Randy Gregory - has played what, like 4 games?
Greg Hardy - in MMA somewhere
David Irving - not playing
Dontari Poe - invisible on field
Rolondo McClain - was solid for a couple of years but out of the league
Sean Lee - awesome when he could actually be on the field, but hardly ever on the field
LVE - great first year but those neck concerns are coming into fruition and has been looking pedestrian as of late
Jaylon Smith - had a great year with LVE but looking like one of the worst lbs in the game now
Stephon Diggs - I liked this pick, but starting him against some of the best receivers in the league with a DC who isn't known for producing great defenses is going to ruin this kid's confidence
Orlando Scandrick - serviceable corner
Byron Jones - would get huge catches made on him in crunch time early on, but started looking more elite as he neared the end of his contract here. Let him walk
Demarcus Lawrence - played better than expected until he got that contract and now he's nowhere to be seen.
Aldon Smith - played great the first couple of games, but the Dallas apathy cloud has choked him out and now he's nowhere to be seen

fivetwos

Reaction score
So this is my theory.......

I'm not a fan of free agency. Never have been. Free agency is not nearly the crap shoot the NFL draft is but its a crap shoot as well.

I'm convinced if the Cowboys had 50 million cap space they'd spend it on 11 players. I have zero faith in this team. It wasn't like they didn't spend money this year. They did. Every body either got hurt or sucked. From Dak and McCoy to Worley and Poe. Everyone.
I hear ya. Big time.

But what's the answer? Dont try?

kevm3

Reaction score
Here's the deal: It's OK for fans to overvalue our own players. It's what we do. However, it's a team killer if your GM does it.

Amari will be gone by the time we're good again. Just facts. Get some young players in here instead and it could speed up the process.

Those young players would be gone by the time we're decent again since the length of their contract would be about the same as when Amari's is up

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Though you drafted him because he was a top runner, without at least some semblance of a good o-line, there's not a thing the team can do to help him...
This isn't;' just this year though. I'm not naive about the player Zeke is. He was never a breakaway Chris Johnson type. He did have some ability though his rookie year and first two seasons.....if Zeke needs 4 Pro Bowlers on that line then why do I have him on my team?

kskboys

Reaction score
Those young players would be gone by the time we're decent again since the length of their contract would be about the same as when Amari's is up
Possibly, however those young players could form the nucleus of a super bowl contender.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hear ya. Big time.

But what's the answer? Dont try?

Just my opinion but the objective is to build around your actual talent. The young guys. Now if you trade some guys for draft capital I'm fine with that. This Cowboys team needs to really look at who's doing what when it comes to free agency. This team can't find the diamond in the rough's........in the draft or free agency. They found a few at receiver in Wilson and Brown but we need that on defense. And with the structure on this team you have no idea if its McClay's fault or Stephen or Jerry's.......

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a 1st round pick yes and maybe even a 2nd. We have an abundance of Wr's and we need to build the defense

I would do it for a 1st, not for a 2nd. But maybe for Quinnen Williams if the Jets actually wanted to do that?

fivetwos

Reaction score
And what’s the hit rate on 2nd round picks for the cowboys especially on defense?

I’m trading Cooper for another trysten hill or Jaylon Smith or chido?

No thanks.

I would rather just keep him
And try to outscore everyone than take a 2nd and pray the cowboys hit on a defender in the 2nd.
Lol you passed on the three TEs during Wittens prime. Could've went there. Gregory too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just my opinion but the objective is to build around your actual talent. The young guys. Now if you trade some guys for draft capital I'm fine with that. This Cowboys team needs to really look at who's doing what when it comes to free agency. This team can't find the diamond in the rough's........in the draft or free agency. They found a few at receiver in Wilson and Brown but we need that on defense. And with the structure on this team you have no idea if its McClay's fault or Stephen or Jerry's.......

Or is it yet someone else? Exactly who is in charge of pro scouting at this point?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Ugh I like Coop, but at this point, we have to cut our losses and make painful decisions. Way too many holes to fill.

Coop / Zeke I would see what I could get.

Yep. Zeke has got to be considered a moveable asset as well. His production simply does not match the contract. However, he still has some respect and a reputation as one of the top RBs in the NFL (although that is changing game by game lol).

If there is a team out there looking for a RB, we would be dumb not to consider getting something back from our investment in him. The ROI simply has not been there, and he is definitely not a leader on this team. Stockpile some picks and move on from guys that are not going to be part of the solution.

Fundamentally, if we are in a rebuild-- and I would argue that we are-- then what accelerates the process is making all your painful decisions dispassionately and quickly. When you gotta eat a crap sandwich-- eat it one bite-- don't nibble on it. And yes my friends, make no mistake-- we are definitely being served one giant crap sandwich.

John813

Reaction score
I just can't see a team willing to give up a first. I've seen the Packers mentioned, but they have only 3 mil in cap space for 2021 as is, per OTC.

Ravens could afford him. So maybe that's a team to look at. But are they desperate enough to ship a 1st?