News: Would this unique trade interest the Cowboys

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Bennett 2015
33 tackles; 10 sacks; 3 forced fumbles

Vernon 2015
25 tackles; 7 sacks; 1 forced fumble

Point well taken, sir. Regardless, I'm still willing to accept whatever the team decides to do regarding this matter. Having said as much, I seriously doubt they'll make a concentrated effort to acquire Bennett to begin with. We can wish for many things, many of which simply aren't in the cards.

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Dude hates the Cowboys and no I have no interest in him at all. Give me Freeney on a 1 year deal and let him split reps with Mayowa, Russell and Irving then go into the draft with the future at DE in mind

Yep. Sign Freeney AND Hardy to 1 year incentive laden contracts, go into draft/FA next year with pass rusher as target. Keep Leary or trade him (in package) for a better/younger player like Mo Wilkerson.

Russell, Mayowa, Jack Crawford, McAdoo, Collins, even Irving are all projections. Cowboys cannot seriously hope to contend in regular season, never mind post season, with such uncertainty on DLine. Cowboys need to find a true War Daddy, or two, on that DL. Expecting Marinelli to coach up unknowns is not only risky but ludicrous if a championship is the goal. Romo's window of opportunity is small and shrinking so wasting a season on hope that someone, anyone, steps up BIG on Dline is the height of irresponsibility.

Cowboys strategy of relying on highly talented but troubled/injured 2nd rounders has not worked out very well for them. Need to change Hope and Prayer strategy for 2016.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm thinking Freeney already has an agreement to sign with Arizona and he just hasn't signed because he wants to skip training camp.

I can't imagine Dallas or some other team wouldn't have him on their roster right now unless he's told teams he doesn't want to practice.

He actually wants to be in camp. They just don't want him until they can see more from the guys they've got.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...preferably-in-time-for-training-camp/a6z4s1k/

He visited ATL and CIN in the offseason. Teams just didn't want him enough to bring him in yet.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He actually wants to be in camp. They just don't want him until they can see more from the guys they've got.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...preferably-in-time-for-training-camp/a6z4s1k/

He visited ATL and CIN in the offseason. Teams just didn't want him enough to bring him in yet.

It just doesn't make sense that he hasn't signed then.

Teams are desperate for pass rushers and he is a 1 year rental and could potentially add 10 sacks.

I don't get it unless he is asking for 8 mill or something.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On Bennett, he's an interesting cat. He definitely speaks his mind, and sometimes his mind is an idiot. But I could live with that. He's never happy with what he's getting paid, and that would make me instantly dislike him, but he definitely can play.

Martellus was pretty salty when he left Dallas. He's since come around completely on the organization and even made nice with everybody including Witten about what was just a tough situation. I see no reason why his brother would carry a grudge if Martellus isn't. Michael was just flapping his gums to get his brother paid.

That said, I don't want to trade Leary, I don't want to bring on a big veteran pass rush contract unless it's pay-as-you-go, and SEA wouldn't even consider this deal anyway. They also just lost Chris Clemons, btw.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's just doesn't make sense that he hasn't signed then.

Teams are desperate for pass rushers and he is a 1 year rental and could potentially add 10 sacks.

I don't get it unless he is asking for 8 mill or something.

I don't really get it, either. The guy's overhyped as a potential savior here right now, but he was very productive, seems to have reasonable contract demands, and wants to play somewhere. If he's looking at CIN and ATL, he can't be all that much of a stickler for playing on a contender. Seems like somebody who ought to be in any number of camps.

I do think somebody will bring him in soon. There are teams like us who want to see what their young guys can do, and for more than one of those teams the answer is going to be 'not enough.'

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Actually, here's a guy I think Dallas might be interested to pursue in time if the money isn't excessive. Like the others, we're waiting to see exactly what we've got in house. Say what we might about what's wise and what's not, that's evidently the case in Dallas. To be continued . . . later.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, here's a guy I think Dallas might be interested to pursue in time if the money isn't excessive. Like the others, we're waiting to see exactly what we've got in house. Say what we might about what's wise and what's not, that's evidently the case in Dallas. To be continued . . . later.

I think so, too. He's a guy who'd make sense if you don't like what you have with Irving/Russel/Mayowa early. I feel silly just typing that out, btw.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My preference would be to keep Leary for this year as I previously stated. Bennett's not in Vernon's class nor worth 7 mil, imho.

Based on what evidence? Bennett is more productive across the board than Vernon. What else ya got?

I'm betting the Dallas brass won't feel any differently, what with their newfound cap-spending policies in effect.

And you'd be wrong again, Dalas was in the running for Vernon when he became available, and he obviously would have cost more than Bennett.

http://mmqb.si.com/2016/03/10/olivier-vernon-new-york-giants-nfl-free-agency-blockbuster-contract

I like Leary as a backup, though, let's make no mistake. My first option would be to keep him in tow. I believe there's a good chance he'll fill in for someone on our OL before the year is over. Realistically, I'd say there's about a one in ten chance that we might outbid the other teams that are considering Bennett anyway but we'll see.

I like him too, and I'd prefer to keep him. But I'd trade a backup for a starter at my biggest need position in a heartbeat.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Based on what evidence? Bennett is more productive across the board than Vernon. What else ya got?

And you'd be wrong again, Dalas was in the running for Vernon when he became available, and he obviously would have cost more than Bennett.

http://mmqb.si.com/2016/03/10/olivier-vernon-new-york-giants-nfl-free-agency-blockbuster-contract

I like him too, and I'd prefer to keep him. But I'd trade a backup for a starter at my biggest need position in a heartbeat.

Stash, that's a fair view...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 3rd and Leary is a little rich for me, considering Leary is a bona fide walk in pretty darn good guard.

It's no knock or slight on Leary at all. I'd love to be able to keep him. But if I can trade a backup for a starter at my biggest need position, I do that in a heartbeat.

But you are right Bennett is a flat out stud! People on here must have not watched much of Seattle or something, because he is amazing. He is easily top 10 disruptor in the NFL today.

Exactly! And, given what Vernon got paid and the comparison between the two? Yeah, I'd be ecstatic to trade for him, I just don't see Seattle ever letting him go.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Congratulations, I was mistaken about Bennett's productivity. You've possibly noticed that I've already swallowed that bitter pill. Thanks for reminding me anyway, lol. Yes, Dallas had some wet dreams about Vernon and the Giants and I'm betting the Giants crushed that dream by a large margin. It always sounds good to "throw your hat into the ring" but unfortunately, it's another thing to have been in serious contention. Nevertheless, the Giants really caused a multitude of dropped jaws with the contract they so generously gave Vernon in the process.

I still believe we'll have a better chance to sign Freeney than we did with Vernon or would have with Bennett. I believe Freeney is likely to be closer to wanting in the ballpark of what Jerry and Stephen would seriously be willing to part with. No doubt, it's more of a thought than a likelihood at this point but we'll see what develops. We'll also see if Bennett even becomes available, which is merely a starting point anyhow.

Last edited:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Hardy and freeney rushing on 3rd down would scare alot of qbs. Those guys demand attention. Imagine on 3rd and 6, hardy, thorton, crawford, and freeney.

Pow pow there goes eli down for the season

Its cool if you dont agree, or want to see how the young guys do. I just dont want to be 4 games in only to find that everything we where counting on is really just junk.