Would you bring in J. Manziel and give him a chance?

Would you sign Johnny Manziel and give him a "comeback SZN"?

• Total voters

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think Prescott needs some pressure.

He has been anointed for a while and if this puts pressure on him, sink or swim Dak.

realistically speaking, there isn't much reason to believe that Manziel could pressure Cooper Rush, let alone Dak. He hasn't played in 2 years and wasn't that good when he did play. May as well bring in RG3 to pressure Dak

CPanther95

Reaction score
I'd feel better about his sincerity if he promised to give 50% of his salary to the Browns until his $4+ million signing bonus was reimbursed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not a move Dallas can make.

Any other team sure but it’s not the move for Dallas.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
realistically speaking, there isn't much reason to believe that Manziel could pressure Cooper Rush, let alone Dak. He hasn't played in 2 years and wasn't that good when he did play. May as well bring in RG3 to pressure Dak

He was rushed in because Cleveland had no one at QB and had one of the worst if not the worst supporting casts of anyone in the league. Hard to evaluate him on that trainwreck.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I'd feel better about his sincerity if he promised to give 50% of his salary to the Browns until his $4+ million signing bonus was reimbursed.
Eh, no one would do that haha. Him offering to play for $0 is enough for me. His interviews in which he now sounds like someone who has his stuff together and is serious about being a success is enough for me. His talent was never the issue...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have Dak, he's our guy.... but someone with Manziels upside I'd happily bring in to training camp and the pre-season as a back-up. He was impressive at the two pro days he threw at, his interviews have been solid. The talent has always been there. The dude is willing to play on a practice squad.

If I were Jerry, I'd give him a league minimum 1 year contract with a team option for 2 more years. Worst case, we cut him before game 1 and Jerry makes ten-fold his investment in jersey sales. Best case? We either have a franchise QB or can trade him for some draft picks.

Jerry would love the attention and the $$$$$....

I also am starting to buy into the Manziel comeback story... his pro-day performances were solid, his interview and mentality he has shown is the best it has been in his entire football career. The kids still young. He's a Texan. I would enjoy seeing us give him a chance.

Can the game be something other than football? I'm in to recreate the running man. Run Johnny Football. Run.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Running_Man_(1987_film)

CPanther95

Reaction score
Eh, no one would do that haha. Him offering to play for $0 is enough for me. His interviews in which he now sounds like someone who has his stuff together and is serious about being a success is enough for me. His talent was never the issue...

That's an easy offer to make when he knows his league minimum salary is over $700K.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why not?

I'm familiar with him, and have seen him in public with cups of 'lean' while he was telling the NFL he was working on himself. He's full of ****.

He's also incredibly entitled and will say whatever he wants to get what he wants. His allowance is more than most young guys will ever see in their lifetimes.

No thanks. I'm not bringing him around younger players, especially guys with good heads on their shoulders.

Manziel will not ever be anything in this league. At least Gregory has a chance, Manziel has none.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
That's an easy offer to make when he knows his league minimum salary is over $700K.
I feel you, to me $700k in income is life changing...

to a dude coming from a multi-million dollar family who has a few mil in the bank already, after taxes 700k is ~370k and not really a game changer.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He was rushed in because Cleveland had no one at QB and had one of the worst if not the worst supporting casts of anyone in the league. Hard to evaluate him on that trainwreck.

not really. played behind a pretty good oline. very little in the skill position area, but he was just as big a part of the train wreck as the others.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The pressure on Dak would be tremendous. You know that if he has 2 sluggish games in a row, everyone will be clamoring for Manziel.
*crap* Man! that doused my exuberance right quickly after chewing on that for a second,cuz' you are right ,it would undoubtedly exert unearned & unnecessary
" static" on the DAK ATTACK & that's not conducive to his ultimate capabilities, him being shadowed like that, seeing how he's pretty much been thrust into a round room and been commanded to hit the primary receiver over in the far corner of that above stated round room,,,er,,,in regards as to all the simplified structured scheme his COACHING STAFF has painstakingly formulated in insuring his best chances of success,like ALL the other competitive&competently coached franchises field with a young and green as spring grass( in some ways) Quarter Back!o_O

* #4/ Dak is a full grown Man and shouldn't be baby rocked in the cradle &I'm not implying nothing of the sort,yet just employing advanced( and/ or) simplified 2-3 step back drops and fire to one of two receivers that should be 6-7 yards apart and open,call it a rub,pic or inadvertently pulling there pants down playo_O
The predictable offensive ploy of last season will further degrade his production if not changed up,,,,
BUT NOW " JOHNNY FOOTBALL" would more than likely progress through his reads of the current ploy and find some success one way or the other ,,,OR NOT!:rolleyes:

*SIGN HIM UP, JERRY*:thumbup:

JustChip

Reaction score
Hmmm...my knee-jerk reaction was no, but I haven’t voted yet and keep vacillating between no and yes.

It would certainly create a media circus which I think would be counterproductive. And at first I was concerned how Dak would react. After all, if the reports at the time were correct, Troy didn’t react well to the drafting of Walsh to the extent of hinting to trade him.

However, I’m leaning to yes. I’m neither in the Dak is a franchise QB camp nor the he is not a franchise QB camp. That answer will be clearer this year and, if it’s no, having Manziel in backup is a good thing. And if Dak is a franchise QB, we should be able to trade him ala what Jimmy did with Walsh (yes, Jerry, we know you were the GM in title, but EVERYONE knows Jimmy was the real GM). And if Dak can’t handle the QB competition, the he’s not a franchise QB and should be traded.

Ok, I’ve now talked myself into - going back to vote yes.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Best thing about this thread is its public ......... so it gives me a list of people who's football opinions to ignore

Lane21Train

Reaction score
Cant remember if i said this on this board or the old one but i predicted awhile ago that if he doesnt catch on with a team this year & Dak struggles at all this season there will be a qb battle between the two going into training camp guarentee it

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way. This is still a young team trying to reconstruct its chemistry and its identity. Manziel would be a distraction because of the press coverage and I’m still not convinced he’s anything beyond a good college football player with a drinking problem.

IMO, Johnny Goofball would be much better served playing in the CFL for a couple of years, to prove he can still play and has his off field act together. Why should we be the grand experiment to prove he can be a football player again?

As a side note, I wouldn’t mind seeing Dak get pushed in TC by another QB. I think competition makes almost every player better. That was something I always felt hurt Romo. He was treated like he had already won a super bowl or an MVP and I think he would have been better if he had been pushed by a backup. Just not Johnny Freakin’ Manziel.

cowboyec

Reaction score
no.
he's got an offer from CfL...if he's serious and wants playing time to work on his game he should go there.
if we shouldn't draft "projects",we sure as hell shouldnt sign any.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
uhhh, no..........he's only attempting to straighten up now because he's broke.

We could get the ole clan back together for a reunion and invite Johnny Cocaine to that.....Ro Mac, Quincy, two strike Gregory before he departs.