Would you consider a T.E. at 18?, You might

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You just might consider a TE at 18 if you have been paying attention to the combine the past few days.

The freak of the combine award goes to..........

Vernon Davis..... ran a 4.38.

That's absolutely insane for a guy that's 6'3+ 255 pounds.

Add to that, the fact that he had 33 bench reps at 225 lbs is unbelievable for a TE.
That is only 4 fewer than defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, regarded as one of the strongest players in the draft.

Oh, and he dominated the blocking drills.
He is literally one of the best athletes to ever enter the draft, and in my opinion the best tight end prospect in NFL history by a large margin.

I would not be surprised to see him jump a whole lot of players on draft day and even end up in the top 8.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO
we have a starter in Witten. With the #18, we need someone to contribute immediately. Not that this wouldn't be a bad pick, it would be good if that was a need AND he was BPA.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
We already have a pro-bowl TE.

Look, no disrespect, but ,,,who cares,,,,, this guy is faster than nearly all the top WR prospects entering this draft for crying out loud,, Davis will be a dominate force,, mark my words.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He definitely goes top ten, there isn't any way he falls to 18. I certainly wouldn't be against it if he did though.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
If we fixed the oline in FA and he was the BPA...maybe

Thats all Im saying...
There are several players that fit this teams needs for than a Vernon Davis would, but like you alluded to, if we plug some holes in FA, and we are in a position to take BPA,,, Davis is attractive... to say the least.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Rack said:
Absolutely not. Drafting a TE at 18 would be incredibly stupid.

Ya, just like when we took a safety in the top ten,, who in their right mind drafts a safety that high,,,, oh wait that was Roy Williams wasnt it. :eek:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Typhus said:
Ya, just like when we took a safety in the top ten,, who in their right mind drafts a safety that high,,,, oh wait that was Roy Williams wasnt it. :eek:

:rolleyes:

We actually NEEDED a safety at that time, and his PLAY ON THE FIELD made him well worth the pick.

We have a Pro Bowl TE on the roster, and although Davis' workout numbers are nice, his play on the field hasn't been nearly as good as his workouts.

We aren't gonna draft a TE at 18. Period. Might as well scratch that player off your wishlist.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Rack said:
Absolutely not. Drafting a TE at 18 would be incredibly stupid.

Look, we have needs at WR as well. a 6'3" 255, 4.38 forty beast of a pass catching machine would be amazing! Uh.... I'd say he's the #1 WR as well. I wouldn't be suprised if he cracked the top 5!

If all the teams ahead of us took stupid pills and skipped him, if we were following BPA, he would be the guy. No doubt whatsoever. He is an absolute freak!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Rack said:

We actually NEEDED a safety at that time, and his PLAY ON THE FIELD made him well worth the pick.

We have a Pro Bowl TE on the roster, and although Davis' workout numbers are nice, his play on the field hasn't been nearly as good as his workouts.

We aren't gonna draft a TE at 18. Period. Might as well scratch that player off your wishlist.

Never said he was on my wish list Rack,,, just throwing out options as far as who might "legitimately be there at 18.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
Look, we have needs at WR as well. a 6'3" 255, 4.38 forty beast of a pass catching machine would be amazing! Uh.... I'd say he's the #1 WR as well. I wouldn't be suprised if he cracked the top 5!

If all the teams ahead of us took stupid pills and skipped him, if we were following BPA, he would be the guy. No doubt whatsoever. He is an absolute freak!

Yet another person falling in love with workout numbers. It takes more then "Big and fast" to be a good WR. Randall Williams is proof of that.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
nathanlt said:

Even if all the teams took stupid pills and skipped him and he was the BPA you still don't draft him.

We have a Pro Bowl TE...With all the other holes to fill that would be crazy or stupid.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:

Yet another person falling in love with workout numbers. It takes more then "Big and fast" to be a good WR. Randall Williams is proof of that.

Where was Randall Williams drafted again?

There was talk prior to the combine that this TE was one of the top in the draft.

Big Difference.

Although I get your point.

Manster54

Reaction score
Rack said:

Are you kidding me? Workout warrior? Did you watch one Maryland game? If you did, then you saw Davis DOMINATE any person opposing him. He could not be stopped. He will be long gone before #18.;)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Where was Randall Williams drafted again?

There was talk prior to the combine that this TE was one of the top in the draft.

Big Difference.

Although I get your point.

If you fully got my point then you wouldn't of even mentioned Randall Williams' draft status. It had nothing to do with my point.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Manster54 said:
Are you kidding me? Workout warrior? Did you watch one Maryland game? If you did, then you saw Davis DOMINATE any person opposing him. He could not be stopped. He will be long gone before #18.;)

Irrelevant. Whether he's there at 18 or not, he won't be a cowboy.

ravidubey

Reaction score
If Davis fell to 18 (which I agree won't happen) you'd be mindless not to take him or trade down unless there was someone else you absolutely had to have. There is depth at OT and LB in this draft, but not much at WR.

Just imagine Witten and Davis in a two TE set. Which one's the blocker? Either? Both? Neither? I'm sure Denver would entertain trading pick 29 and maybe a 2nd rounder for him.