Would you consider a T.E. at 18?, You might

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:
If you fully got my point then you wouldn't of even mentioned Randall Williams' draft status. It had nothing to do with my point.

Sure it does.

If you want to compare someone compare to someone like Mamula or someone else that either really rose up the draft charts or someone that was considered as one of the top players at their positions.

Williams, as has been used in different threads as an example, is a bad example.

Comparing Williams to This TE is beyond a stretch even if your point is understood.

This te has thrived in a top college in his career before ever going to the combine.

Randall Williams was not the same type of player and where he came into the league reflects the difference.

So just because this guy was fast at the combine...it does not mean that is all he has going for him.

Manster54

Reaction score
Rack said:
Irrelevant. Whether he's there at 18 or not, he won't be a cowboy.

Mr. Irrelevant here. No, you missed MY point. I didn't think you watched any MD games.
:D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Sure it does.

If you want to compare someone compare to someone like Mamula or someone else that either really rose up the draft charts or someone that was considered as one of the top players at their positions.

Williams, as has been used in different threads as an example, is a bad example.

Comparing Williams to This TE is beyond a stretch even if your point is understood.

This te has thrived in a top college in his career before ever going to the combine.

Randall Williams was not the same type of player and where he came into the league reflects the difference.

So just because this guy was fast at the combine...it does not mean that is all he has going for him.

Again, you missed the point. Draft status is irrelevant.

Mr. Irrelevant here. No, you missed MY point. I didn't think you watched any MD games.

I don't care if he dominated every game he played in, he won't be a cowboy.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:

And since when did a player in the draft , whether there is a chance or not dallas looks at him, make a difference on this message board?

If a player in the draft is already a good player before the combine, then goes to the combine and really blows everyone away...it is a situation where it is OK to look at their numbers at the combine and factor them in...instead of some scrub that has not produced in college and then blows people away at the combine.

Now if there is no chance, according to anybody, that dallas would not take him...does that mean we should not talk about him?

I bet there where people that if asked about Tony Dixon would say there is no way we would take him in the second round....and I still wish we would not have done so.:mad:

Or the idea that MANY said there would be NO WAY that Stephen Davis would fall to us, but if he somehow did we would take him.

Or the idea that Jason Witten would not last to the second round let alone the third round.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Rack said:

BP might have a different opinion, he seems to have had a hankering for Big, fast and nasty T.E.s throughout his tenure in this league.
I can name a few for you, if you prefer...

Manster54

Reaction score
I don't care if he dominated every game he played in, he won't be a cowboy.[/quote]

'Cause RACK says so...:bow:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Typhus said:
Look, no disrespect, but ,,,who cares,,,,, this guy is faster than nearly all the top WR prospects entering this draft for crying out loud,, Davis will be a dominate force,, mark my words.

Problem is, he'll be long gone before the Cowboys get the chance to draft him... or are you suggesting the Cowboys should package draft picks to move up to get Davis?? That would make a lot of sense, when you have a Pro Bowl TE in place already...

nathanlt

Reaction score
Rack said:
Irrelevant. Whether he's there at 18 or not, he won't be a cowboy.

Oh, Rack... you're so set against this guy, it's funny. :lmao: I would definitely be coming back to this board looking for you, if Dallas trades up 3 or 4 spots to get him!!! Hilarious!:explode: :bomb:

Gonhoz

Reaction score
I see a couples of videos and in the 40 yards make 4.38 so he can play at WR position:starspin:starspin:D

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Rack said:
:rolleyes:

Yet another person falling in love with workout numbers. It takes more then "Big and fast" to be a good WR. Randall Williams is proof of that.

That's a dumb thing to say.

I knew that Vernon Davis was a top ten prospect and an impact player well before this combine.

We'd be fools to pass on him. We need difference makers and Davis is one.

It is extremely myopic to pass on him just because you are to unoriginal to come up with uses for him.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
jazzcat22 said:
NO
we have a starter in Witten. With the #18, we need someone to contribute immediately. Not that this wouldn't be a bad pick, it would be good if that was a need AND he was BPA.

Davis is head and shoulders better than Witten-

Davis is a stud ala Antonio Gates and Kellen Winslow- he is also tremendous in the weight room- Davis has the skills to go down as the best ever whereas Witten has the opportunity to be the Boys best ever-big difference-

Difference makers/playmakers are always worth drafting regardless of position need- ask the Bills about Mcgahee or the Saints about Deuce etc ....DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER ESPECIALLY IF HE IS A DIFFERNCE MAKER

BY the way it is easy to play two te's - just remove a fb and you have a more explosive offense- Davis is the best non rb skill player in this draft-

BOTTOM LINE IS HE'll be gone by 15 anyway-

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Absolutely I would consider drafting a TE at 18 if he was the BPA when we picked, but Davis will go way before 18.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
Rack said:

Arent you the same guy that Called Merriman a workout warrior and promised everyone how over rated he was- that was quite the accurate assesment and again you are aspousing falsehoods-

Just like last year I doubt you have ever watched Davis play but once again your an expert on his ability-

I HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY AND MERRIMAN AT THE U OF MD AND DAVIS WILL BE MORE DOMINATING THAN MERRIMAN- HE IS THE BEST PLAYER FROM MARYLAND SINCE RANDY WHITE

mschmidt64

Reaction score
I don't know that Vernon Davis is automatically a better player than Witten, but he's a damn fine player and he can create a LOT of mismatches running down field from the TE position, since he'll be matched against LBs and safeties.

He can make plays. Since we have no FB, I've got no problem trotting out two TE sets instead of I-formations.

Heck, if that 40 time is true, he can line up as a WR. We do that with Witten already. We can certainly do it with Davis.

Not that we can make him a full time WR, but the point is, if we have an OUNCE of brains, we can get plenty of use out of such a talented difference maker.

Dragging your feet because we have ONE good TE is a madden-induced intransigence and absolutely short sighted.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I really do believe the BPA is the way to go....unless it is just totally an unreasonable situation to draft the guy (say, spending a first-round pick on a QB the year after you take a guy No. 1 overall). But in most cases, I think it pays off for you in the long haul.

Like having two Pro Bowl tight ends is a bad thing. :)

That's why I like addressing as many holes as possible through free agency, and having some veteran backups at positions who are capable of starting -- something we didn't do at tackle or free safety last year. That way, you can always plug in a guy here or there that is OK, and get the actual best players that are available come April.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Mark this down in the realm of things that will never happen to the cowboys. He's probably going to go top 8 with a chance to be as high as 5. He's the number one TE AND WR prospect in the draft.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
If Davis fell to us It would be foolish not to pick him...
One knock on Campbell , he was a non factor in the passing game .If we had a TE of Davis's Talent B.P. would throw to both he and Witten often .B.P. dose run a whloe lot of two TE's sets.
I think we should draft BPA no matter the position , excluding kickers ...

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
Dale said:
I really do believe the BPA is the way to go....unless it is just totally an unreasonable situation to draft the guy (say, spending a first-round pick on a QB the year after you take a guy No. 1 overall). But in most cases, I think it pays off for you in the long haul.

Like having two Pro Bowl tight ends is a bad thing. :)

That's why I like addressing as many holes as possible through free agency, and having some veteran backups at positions who are capable of starting -- something we didn't do at tackle or free safety last year. That way, you can always plug in a guy here or there that is OK, and get the actual best players that are available come April.

AGREED COMPLETELY

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Even if its not Davis, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Cowboys draft a TE in Day 1. Its a phenomenal draft class for TE's, and with the Cowboys primarily running 2 TE sets its not like he's going to sit and rot behind Witten. Besides, Witten still isn't locked up long term and the offense is screwed if he gets hurt. He could be next year's Flozell.