News: Would you do this deal for Earl Thomas if you ran the Cowboys?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Question is how much of an upgrade would he be for us compared to the same money invested into another defensive position!

Right now, sign Lawrence; pick up Thomas; and sign the top defensive tackle in free agency...and just see if a very strong top 10 defense and top 10 offense doesn't take Dallas to the NFC Championship game this up coming year.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Right now, sign Lawrence; pick up Thomas; and sign the top defensive tackle in free agency...and just see if a very strong top 10 defense and top 10 offense doesn't take Dallas to the NFC Championship game this up coming year.
Dallas is already a top 10 defense. ET makes it a top 3 defense.

Legend

Reaction score
The Cowboys should try to win it all within next 2-3 years.

So I would sign ET, Lawrence, and a couple good and big DTs.

I would also look for an upgrade at Heath’s spot and 3rd LB spot as well.

If Irving wants to play football, I would bring him back for cheap as well.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
:) Your explanation is a good one...and conservative in origin.

We disagree about the specifics of the player involved and his 'history.' He's still solid product with the injuries concerned and even his skills being demonstrated, last season.

His $10,000,000 a season is where Sean Lee is right now, but Sean is that four years older point.

First question now, would be: Which player presents much more contributing talent to this year's team. This year is a turn-key point in the franchise.

His value as a play maker, Thomas, shouldn't be under estimated. He would make a defineable mark as to turn-overs...and over the top, possibly immediately improve open field tackling as well.

As to end of career...Pro Bowl or not?

Thanks for your positve post. And yes, i also do think i am someone who likes the conservative approach. Less emotional more rational and longterm based .

When i watch the last season there are 2 games that stick out: against the colts and againt the rams. Both teams exposed our weaknesess.

To me that is the DL and especially depth at the DT position. The backflied wasnt the group we were beaten badly. We were beaten in the trenches. In fact the rams whipped our arses. Our DT and Ends where more on the ground then on the bench. That has to change.

I myself played CB and later on safety. Still i believe fottball is won in the trenches. We need to invest there. Not only because i am convinced of that in general but also because it is our major problem on defense.

We have great LBs but look what the rams were able to do to them. They blocked them out of the game like there was no tomorrow. Just because our DL couldnt protect them.

A good safety is great to have. And i'd like to have one too. But you can also buy only so much in the salary capped area. And our needs are bigger at the DLine.

Id FT DLaw. Keep Collins, Woods and Irving. And look for another 2 good DTs thru draft and FA. Hope for Gregory to stay clean and Tacco to put up some more strength so he can hold up better against the run.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans are overly emotional about some players and Heath is at the top of that list.

Heath has led the Cowboys secondary in forced turnovers with nine over the last three seasons.

Heath’s monster game in the 2016 divisional playoffs against the Packers seemed to provide him a springboard for bigger and better things. His performance was nearly one for the ages after he recorded a pass deflection and two interceptions of Aaron Rodgers, although one was negated by penalty. Heath also had a violent blindside sack of Rodgers that nearly shifted the momentum were it not for the Packer QB’s strong grip on the football.

That performance provided the Dallas brass the confidence to allow Barry Church to depart in free agency and Heath’s story had a new chapter as a full-time starter.

Heath rewarded that faith in the 2017 campaign as he recorded 15 starts, racked up 55 solo stops to go along with three picks and two forced fumbles, not to mention filling in for Dan Bailey on kickoffs and field goals versus the 49ers.

Heath’s solid season was punctuated by several pivotal plays capping two of the team’s nine victories.

First, he ended the Chiefs’ matchup with an interception of Alex Smith, ending the latter’s march towards Tom Brady’s NFL record no-INT streak. To top that, he had back-to-back stops in a crucial Week 15 contest in Oakland.

usatsi_10485203.jpg

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

After swatting the ball from the grasp of Michael Crabtree on 2nd and 3, Heath iced the game with hustling shove of Raiders QB Derek Carr at the goal line. The blow jolted the ball from Carr’s right hand, causing it to bound out of the end zone for a game-saving touchback. That remarkable moment that saved the day prompted a memorable post-game Tweet teammate Kavon Frazier.

Kavon Frazier

✔@Kay_BlackSimba

Jeff Heath is the
1f410.png
!

11:02 PM - Dec 17, 2017 · Oakland, CA
Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,383 people are talking about this

It could be argued he is now the most clutch performer in a defensive backfield that has been bereft of playmakers in recent years.

Despite the ever-present nay-sayers that want more, it appears that Heath is on firm ground for the 2018 season as the odds-on favorite to start once again at strong safety. He is poised to be the leader and elder statesman of a very young and hungry secondary. It appears that patience from the organization and perseverance from the player have finally reaped rewards.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/03/cowboys-jeff-heath-goat-2018-nfl-season-player-profile/

"Fans are overly emotional about some players and Heath is at the top of that list."

Yes they are. To the point of pulling up an article that predates Heath's awful 2018 season performance as some sort of a defense.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

I am not a fan of giving DLaw a longterm deal.
I am.still not convinced he is really as good as advertised. And he has some major injury issues too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Fans are overly emotional about some players and Heath is at the top of that list."

Yes they are. To the point of pulling up an article that predates Heath's awful 2018 season performance as some sort of a defense.

No, I've stated in other threads (draft related) that I would like to see an elite SS added; however, they've proven they can win with Heath as a starter.

Heath had a wrist injury and was basically playing with 1 arm in the latter part of the season. They could have replaced him with Kavon Frazier who played about 30% of the snaps at SS last season (when they expected a run); however, they valued Heath's pass coverage enough that they didn't use Frazier even when Heath had the wrist injury.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I am not a fan of giving DLaw a longterm deal.
I am.still not convinced he is really as good as advertised. And he has some major injury issues too.

He's up through the ranks with Dallas...he'll get his contract. Hopefully, surgery did it's job. I won't black bean the player at this point, due to worries that include injury. He has demonstrated value for two straight years. He'll get his money. We'll see Pro Bowl appearances after a new contract. One more season at the past two levels, and he is worth the projected path.

He'll arrive there...and with upgrades at tackles, he'll be even better.

Myself, I don't know how Dallas again counts on Irving...and he hurt the line last season.

Depth killed the defensive tackles.

Irving, a defensive tackle who love marijuana more than he does football? Pay him again?...Here is one I would just let fly away.

As to money, it is there and can be managed right now, for as much as they wish to keep around. Positioning for just that will occur this very off season...it will be interesting to see the where's and why's.

For the record, here's a current ranking of safeties in the market:

Earl Thomas
Landon Collins
Adrian Amos
LAMarcus Joyner
Haha Clinton Dix
Tyrann Mathieu
Tre Boston
Mike Mitchell
Eric Reid
George Illoka

Thomas is at the top

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys should try to win it all within next 2-3 years.

So I would sign ET, Lawrence, and a couple good and big DTs.

I would also look for an upgrade at Heath’s spot and 3rd LB spot as well.

If Irving wants to play football, I would bring him back for cheap as well.

Jerry tried the go for it now approach for many years (i.e. Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades, maxing out the cap, etc..).

The Patriots take the steady approach of given themselves a chance every year but rarely making All-In types of moves.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I've stated in other threads (draft related) that I would like to see an elite SS added; however, they've proven they can win with Heath as a starter.

They've also proven that they can lose with Jeff Heath, and they have.

Heath had a wrist injury and was basically playing with 1 arm in the latter part of the season. They could have replaced him with Kavon Frazier who played about 30% of the snaps at SS last season (when they expected a run); however, they valued Heath's pass coverage enough that they didn't use Frazier even when Heath had the wrist injury.

That tells me a lot about Frazier.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry tried the go for it now approach for many years (i.e. Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades, maxing out the cap, etc..).

The Patriots take the steady approach of given themselves a chance every year but rarely making All-In types of moves.

Cooper was already his go to wide receiver to elevate the passing game.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Everything the Cowboys as an organization have done in the last 5 years goes against signing aging, injury prone players on the downside of their career. Don't expect a change.
I like all the rings and playoff wins over the last 5 years, we already see our OL getting old before our eyes