News: Would you do this deal for Earl Thomas if you ran the Cowboys?

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Thomas still puts Heath on the bench. The Cowboys aren't locked in to their safeties playing strong or free safety.
Granted ET is a FS who is probably the best at this position so it is safe to say that he would get the nod at FS and Woods or whoever would get moved to SS. So it is a moot point.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am not sure I want him now. Will be another year older. Broke the same leg twice. And wants a big pay day.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
No. Give me Landon Collins. Earl Thomas is in his 30's how and coming off a season ending industry. And safety was hardly the problem last year.

Disagree. Collins is a box safety. That’s not what this D needs. And I think Earl would be cheaper

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys definitely use the FS and SS differently. There was even more distinction in 2018 than the past few years. There is Zero possibility that ET plays SS.

X.Woods would compete with Heath at SS. I don't know if Woods fits what Kris Richard wants at SS.
Woods 5'10-3/4, 197
Heath 6-1, 209

The coaches like Heath more than fans/media.

If they "like him" more than having Woods and Thomas on the field, they're flat out wrong. Heath is a target and a liability. I've given him more than enough of a chance to prove otherwise and the fact is that the guy simply isn't good enough to be an NFL starter.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Heath would sit.

And he absolutely should.
Correct. But ET would play FS for us and Woods or Heath would play SS. Heath is probably not bad as a SS since he can lay the wood when he tackles. But he is horrible as the last man back to help on deep passes. This is where ET shines. I hope Dallas makes it happen, I really do.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
First off, sports stars are prima dona's...but they do have market value and are upset when they are denied. Such as with Bell, in Pittsburgh, he had a point, and at his point in career, was being low balled by his team. Thomas flinched as did Bell in a similar situation.

You pay market value for talent in sports. In basketball, another sport but at the high dollar and professional level, top dollar is out of control. Oh, I enjoy watching, but that kind of money? That said, they get what the market can support.

The same will compare in the NFL...just our way of life now, in sport.

What I don't like seeing entering into the considerations, colusion among players trying to shape free agency itself...and pile up on a single team through personal agreements of stocking a particular team. That takes market considerations and fan loyalties out of the picture...

But this conversation is centered upon Thomas.

If bias is the attribute demonstrated, I call that straight up.

Six seasons without missing a game and a couple of injury seasons with injury. An abstract number 30, hasn't been demonstrated as the functional element with this player. He was top shelf for the four games that he played in this past season. He shined in the game against Dallas!

As to cap numbers, at the talked about contract range, he would not be receiving top contract money for a safety.

If one is going to talk....TALK.

Not every player is a primadona. That doesnt mean he isnt as good as primadonas.

Bell is an example. But it doent prove that every player is like that. In fact he is an exception. I do like people who have the character to go their own way. So i somewhat support Bell. But i also dislike greed. And most of those primadonnas are just being greedy nothing more. I will never support that.

Said that i still answer the question regarding ET as being a GM. And as i said, last year is not this year. He comes from major injury and is 30 years old. Qzrstion was would i give him a 4 year contract for 40 mils. And i wouldnt. I gave reasons for that. And i think they are understandable. What more is that safety wasnt our main problem AND i dont value safety that high compared to for instance line play.

30 isnt an abstract number. In fact it is very specific when it comes to athletes. An athlete in the NFL has 3 contracts to get. His rookie deal. Then his major payment. Thats when he should be in his prime. That would be sround the age of 25-26. Then his considered last payment. That would be around 30. For some positions like RB or CB or WR... the third deal would be hard to get. For others like OL or QB it will be easier. Safety is somewhere in between. Still you dont pay a player the same money you pay him in his second deal.

ET is at the end of his career. Like it or not. And every year counts for him. What he did last year doesnt mean squat in this situation. It may have meant something in his last rookie deal year. But not now.

You dont pay old players longterm. And especially no old players who try to come back from major injury.

loublue22

Reaction score
Screw Earl Thomas, after that display in Seattle this year he can rot in Jacksonville or something. Glad we sent his sorry team home.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Correct. But ET would play FS for us and Woods or Heath would play SS. Heath is probably not bad as a SS since he can lay the wood when he tackles. But he is horrible as the last man back to help on deep passes. This is where ET shines. I hope Dallas makes it happen, I really do.

Heath cant tackle. He tries to hit hard but cant stick. He cant wrap up.

Media tries to hype him like the second coming of our former special teams ace Bill Bates. But he isnt. He only tries to hit people but isnt able to tackle them. Bill Btes hit people but wrapped them up too. Later is the more important thing.

Heath is a bad safety. The game is way too fast for him. He lays the wood on even our own people. He loses tecnique and cant control his hits because of it. He misreads plays on a regular basis. He is not made for special teams either because he cant tackle.

This guy doesnt belong on a NFL roster.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Absolutely.

All you had to see was Goff shred our secondary in the playoffs.

We need more help back there.

His injuries have not been serious at all.

Heath I like but he has no coverage skills.

We have Wolf Hunter and Smith to tackle in the mid secondary.

We need a playmaker like Thomas.

This is a no brainier.

I would do the deal but Goff did not schred our secondary....Run defense that poor effects the whole defense. I won't judge our pass D on that performance and he only had 186 yards and a 74 rating.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score

Media tries to hype him like the second coming of our former special teams ace Bill Bates. But he isnt. He only tries to hit people but isnt able to tackle them. Bill Btes hit people but wrapped them up too. Later is the more important thing.

Heath is a bad safety. The game is way too fast for him. He lays the wood on even our own people. He loses tecnique and cant control his hits because of it. He misreads plays on a regular basis. He is not made for special teams either because he cant tackle.

I don't know about all that. I have seen him make plenty of tackles. Have you forgot how his tackle on the Raiders QB saved the game for us? He does make many mistakes for sure, but he also makes some big plays too. He should NOT be the FS for sure. That we will agree on.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Question is how much of an upgrade would he be for us compared to the same money invested into another defensive position!
This is where it makes the most sense. He is miles ahead of any of our safeties and it is not even close.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
This is where it makes the most sense. He is miles ahead of any of our safeties and it is not even close.

That was never the question. Of course he is better. But then again, that is not the question to decide if you give him a contract or not.

50% of the players of other teams are better then the ones we have. Why not consider them ? Because just being better is never the only and important question.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
from the article:
Earl Thomas signed a 4 year, $40,000,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $9,500,000 signing bonus, $25,725,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000.

I can live with the $9.5M signing bonus .

$25.725M of $40M, meaning 64% of the total contract being guaranteed seems excessive, especially for a 30-year old who has missed 19 games the last 3 seasons.

I'd hope that they'd protect themselves and tie in his guarantees and bonuses to games played and other performance-related incentives.
Would only sign him to a team friendly deal with his age and injury history

CCBoy

Reaction score
Not every player is a primadona. That doesnt mean he isnt as good as primadonas.

Bell is an example. But it doent prove that every player is like that. In fact he is an exception. I do like people who have the character to go their own way. So i somewhat support Bell. But i also dislike greed. And most of those primadonnas are just being greedy nothing more. I will never support that.

Said that i still answer the question regarding ET as being a GM. And as i said, last year is not this year. He comes from major injury and is 30 years old. Qzrstion was would i give him a 4 year contract for 40 mils. And i wouldnt. I gave reasons for that. And i think they are understandable. What more is that safety wasnt our main problem AND i dont value safety that high compared to for instance line play.

30 isnt an abstract number. In fact it is very specific when it comes to athletes. An athlete in the NFL has 3 contracts to get. His rookie deal. Then his major payment. Thats when he should be in his prime. That would be sround the age of 25-26. Then his considered last payment. That would be around 30. For some positions like RB or CB or WR... the third deal would be hard to get. For others like OL or QB it will be easier. Safety is somewhere in between. Still you dont pay a player the same money you pay him in his second deal.

ET is at the end of his career. Like it or not. And every year counts for him. What he did last year doesnt mean squat in this situation. It may have meant something in his last rookie deal year. But not now.

You dont pay old players longterm. And especially no old players who try to come back from major injury.

:) Your explanation is a good one...and conservative in origin.

We disagree about the specifics of the player involved and his 'history.' He's still solid product with the injuries concerned and even his skills being demonstrated, last season.

His $10,000,000 a season is where Sean Lee is right now, but Sean is that four years older point.

First question now, would be: Which player presents much more contributing talent to this year's team. This year is a turn-key point in the franchise.

His value as a play maker, Thomas, shouldn't be under estimated. He would make a defineable mark as to turn-overs...and over the top, possibly immediately improve open field tackling as well.

As to end of career...Pro Bowl or not?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Granted ET is a FS who is probably the best at this position so it is safe to say that he would get the nod at FS and Woods or whoever would get moved to SS. So it is a moot point.
If they "like him" more than having Woods and Thomas on the field, they're flat out wrong. Heath is a target and a liability. I've given him more than enough of a chance to prove otherwise and the fact is that the guy simply isn't good enough to be an NFL starter.

Fans are overly emotional about some players and Heath is at the top of that list.

Heath has led the Cowboys secondary in forced turnovers with nine over the last three seasons.

Heath’s monster game in the 2016 divisional playoffs against the Packers seemed to provide him a springboard for bigger and better things. His performance was nearly one for the ages after he recorded a pass deflection and two interceptions of Aaron Rodgers, although one was negated by penalty. Heath also had a violent blindside sack of Rodgers that nearly shifted the momentum were it not for the Packer QB’s strong grip on the football.

That performance provided the Dallas brass the confidence to allow Barry Church to depart in free agency and Heath’s story had a new chapter as a full-time starter.

Heath rewarded that faith in the 2017 campaign as he recorded 15 starts, racked up 55 solo stops to go along with three picks and two forced fumbles, not to mention filling in for Dan Bailey on kickoffs and field goals versus the 49ers.

Heath’s solid season was punctuated by several pivotal plays capping two of the team’s nine victories.

First, he ended the Chiefs’ matchup with an interception of Alex Smith, ending the latter’s march towards Tom Brady’s NFL record no-INT streak. To top that, he had back-to-back stops in a crucial Week 15 contest in Oakland.

usatsi_10485203.jpg

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

After swatting the ball from the grasp of Michael Crabtree on 2nd and 3, Heath iced the game with hustling shove of Raiders QB Derek Carr at the goal line. The blow jolted the ball from Carr’s right hand, causing it to bound out of the end zone for a game-saving touchback. That remarkable moment that saved the day prompted a memorable post-game Tweet teammate Kavon Frazier.

Kavon Frazier

✔@Kay_BlackSimba

Jeff Heath is the
1f410.png
!

11:02 PM - Dec 17, 2017 · Oakland, CA
Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,383 people are talking about this

It could be argued he is now the most clutch performer in a defensive backfield that has been bereft of playmakers in recent years.

Despite the ever-present nay-sayers that want more, it appears that Heath is on firm ground for the 2018 season as the odds-on favorite to start once again at strong safety. He is poised to be the leader and elder statesman of a very young and hungry secondary. It appears that patience from the organization and perseverance from the player have finally reaped rewards.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/03/cowboys-jeff-heath-goat-2018-nfl-season-player-profile/

kskboys

Reaction score

Lack of lateral agility.

That's why you'll see him make great tackles at times, but if he has to turn, forget it.

If you look for it, it's actually blatantly obvious. It's not that the game's too fast, it's not that he loses technique or misreads. He simply cannot break down and turn. It's funny when people search and search for the explanation of why Heath looks great at times and awful at others when it's just so obvious.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Fans are overly emotional about some players and Heath is at the top of that list.

Heath has led the Cowboys secondary in forced turnovers with nine over the last three seasons.

Heath’s monster game in the 2016 divisional playoffs against the Packers seemed to provide him a springboard for bigger and better things. His performance was nearly one for the ages after he recorded a pass deflection and two interceptions of Aaron Rodgers, although one was negated by penalty. Heath also had a violent blindside sack of Rodgers that nearly shifted the momentum were it not for the Packer QB’s strong grip on the football.

That performance provided the Dallas brass the confidence to allow Barry Church to depart in free agency and Heath’s story had a new chapter as a full-time starter.

Heath rewarded that faith in the 2017 campaign as he recorded 15 starts, racked up 55 solo stops to go along with three picks and two forced fumbles, not to mention filling in for Dan Bailey on kickoffs and field goals versus the 49ers.

Heath’s solid season was punctuated by several pivotal plays capping two of the team’s nine victories.

First, he ended the Chiefs’ matchup with an interception of Alex Smith, ending the latter’s march towards Tom Brady’s NFL record no-INT streak. To top that, he had back-to-back stops in a crucial Week 15 contest in Oakland.

usatsi_10485203.jpg

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

After swatting the ball from the grasp of Michael Crabtree on 2nd and 3, Heath iced the game with hustling shove of Raiders QB Derek Carr at the goal line. The blow jolted the ball from Carr’s right hand, causing it to bound out of the end zone for a game-saving touchback. That remarkable moment that saved the day prompted a memorable post-game Tweet teammate Kavon Frazier.

Kavon Frazier

✔@Kay_BlackSimba

Jeff Heath is the
1f410.png
!

11:02 PM - Dec 17, 2017 · Oakland, CA
Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,383 people are talking about this

It could be argued he is now the most clutch performer in a defensive backfield that has been bereft of playmakers in recent years.

Despite the ever-present nay-sayers that want more, it appears that Heath is on firm ground for the 2018 season as the odds-on favorite to start once again at strong safety. He is poised to be the leader and elder statesman of a very young and hungry secondary. It appears that patience from the organization and perseverance from the player have finally reaped rewards.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/03/cowboys-jeff-heath-goat-2018-nfl-season-player-profile/
I agree with this. Pair him with a savvy ball hawk like ET at FS and they could be a real good pair.