News: Would you do this deal for Earl Thomas if you ran the Cowboys?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The only counter to that is that the two main injuries were broken legs and broken bones are a different type of injury from soft tissue and are unusual to recur.

True, but he still missed time, and maybe he's got a start of osteoporosis, regardless, he can't make tackles/defend passes if he's on the bench with a broken bone, or whatever.

Like to have him, but it's got to be a very Cowboys favorable deal with options to get out from under his contract if need be...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He looked fine without those guys last year in Seattle when he did play. And that was after holding out from all offseason activities.
Yes, he did. His ball skills are really fine and if they did sign him, he would be the best at that since Sanders. Give the QB's something else to think about with a center fielder out there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but he still missed time, and maybe he's got a start of osteoporosis, regardless, he can't make tackles/defend passes if he's on the bench with a broken bone, or whatever.

Like to have him, but it's got to be a very Cowboys favorable deal with options to get out from under his contract if need be...
I am sure SEA would like to sign him under those circumstances as well. Depends on the demand level for him once FA opens.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, he did. His ball skills are really fine and if they did sign him, he would be the best at that since Sanders. Give the QB's something else to think about with a center fielder out there.

I would think so too. And at the same time, take an absolute target for opponents off of the field in Jeff Heath. He might be a nice, try-hard, team guy, but he's simply not good enough to be a starter. Here or anywhere. He's Bill Bates. A special teams player you don't want starting for you. Heath's shouldn't have a number on his jersey, he should have a bullseye, because he's a target for opponents.

The swing in terms of talent and playmaking would be enormous.

CCBoy

Reaction score

You really defending an abstract possibility where health is really involved? Hear anything from any source that would credit such a concern?

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Earl Thomas us better than any safety we have period

Make it so!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You really defending an abstract possibility where health is really involved? Hear anything from any source that would credit such a concern?

19 games in 3 years is a fact, staying he'd stop getting injured is also an abstract possibility.

I would go with the reality of 19 games missed in 3 years, and as I said, he's not getting any younger....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would think so too. And at the same time, take an absolute target for opponents off of the field in Jeff Heath. He might be a nice, try-hard, team guy, but he's simply not good enough to be a starter. Here or anywhere. He's Bill Bates. A special teams player you don't want starting for you. Heath's shouldn't have a number on his jersey, he should have a bullseye, because he's a target for opponents.

The swing in terms of talent and playmaking would be enormous.

Heath played SS in 2018. ET plays FS.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
heres something to consider...

do we beat Seattle if Earl Thomas is playing?

One year is not making a difference.

Personally i am agains the signing, bt you have to consider all sides to it

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The case for Thomas, if he fits into the cap without going without in another need, is that he brings as asset to the party and with both of these Safeties, they're more of a liability than asset. He becomes the brains of the secondary helping to elevate the play of the others and we haven't had that guy since Woodson. All we have to do is look back at Roy OU Williams with and without Woodson to know the value of a smart Safety. Sorry Roy, but smart was not your strong suit.

The pass rush was mediocre last season and a ball hawk gives the QB something else to think about because if you can't get to the QB, the second best thing is to cover longer. With him back there, do these good CB's become a little better, a little more comfortable with being aggressive?

And this is a player Richard knows as well as anyone, that unknown and risk factor does not come into play as it can with so many FA's.

Ok, there, I've done it, convinced myself I can put up with a tool if he can elevate the secondary and the D. And I do believe he could, even at 30.

Little Jr

Reaction score
No, I didn't want to give up a pick for him and pay him last year. My limit was a 4th and keep him at 10m a year. A year later, a year older and another injury, id give him maybe 7m a year, preferably 5m.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I can put up with a tool if he can elevate the secondary and the D. And I do believe he could, even at 30.

Just based on experience, that's a reasonable expectation. And he has been to the Pro Bowl 6 times, that counts for something...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thomas still puts Heath on the bench. The Cowboys aren't locked in to their safeties playing strong or free safety.

The Cowboys definitely use the FS and SS differently. There was even more distinction in 2018 than the past few years. There is Zero possibility that ET plays SS.

X.Woods would compete with Heath at SS. I don't know if Woods fits what Kris Richard wants at SS.
Woods 5'10-3/4, 197
Heath 6-1, 209

The coaches like Heath more than fans/media.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't want Earl Thomas doesn't know what a star player he is. One of the best defensive players in the league.

Players ranked him 66th best player in the league in 2018 from the 2017 season. When you consider how many positions there are and that there are 32 teams in the league, that there is offense and defense... you realize that instantly makes him a game-changing type player.

Best safety in the league.

Only the following defense players were ranked higher than him

#37 Joey Bosa, DE
#35 AJ Bouye, CB
#34 DeMarcus Lawrence, DE
#32 Jadeveon Clowney, DE
#28 Chandler Jones, DE
#26 Cameron Jordan, DE
#23 Patrick Peterson, CB
#21 Bobby Wagner, LB
#19 Everson Griffen, DE
#17 Jalen Ramsey, DE
#16 Khalil Mack, DE
#15 Calais Campbell, DE
#12 Luke Kuechly, LB
#9 Von Miller, LB
#7 Aaron Donald, DT

You'll notice this list is almost entirely defensive linemen.

Any chance you can get a player on this list, you absolutely do it. Particularly when it is at a position of need and the player wants to come here...

People against him coming here are absolutely on drugs. You can barely find a better fit out there.

Cowboys were #6th in points allowed on defense, but there are warts on the defense.

22nd in Defensive Passer rating and we had 9 interceptions all year. Earl Thomas played in 4 games last year and had 3 interceptions. He would make a very young secondary significantly better instantly, which would be great when paired with a young but up and coming linebacker corps. If the defensive line can become consistent, you're looking at a top 3 defense in the NFL.
PREACH!!!! It is insane that people don't want him. The losing mentality has really set in for many fans. Sad what 25 years of losing does to a fan base.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
This Earl Thomas talk reminds me of all the Darren McFadden talk. The Cowboys fell in love with McFadden in the draft and eventually got him at the end of his career after he was pretty much done. He never lived up to the hype! If your going to sign anyone he needs to be young, not a 30 year old guy who has suffered numerous injuries. Collins would be the guy to target or just draft a guy! Who they have now isnt that bad.
HORRIBLE comparison. You are better than this. RB's fall off the ledge around 30 due to all the pounding they take. Safeties do not fall off the ledge at 30. ET is still a top 3 safety right now. Meanwhile Heath? Bottom tier guy. All of our safeties are lower tier guys. All of them. We need an upper echelon guy in our secondary who can take the ball away once in a while. This is a head scratcher for me that people are opposed to this.