Would you draft a DE in the 1st?

cnuball21

Reaction score
This class is loaded at DE. I could see as many as 6 DEs go in the first in which case I think we’d have a great shot to get one. With the importance of pass rush and seeing how having a great rotation has made our defense great Id lean towards yes over reaching for a bigger need.

Fowler in final year of contract
Basham in final year or contract
Armstrong FA after next year

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm always open to add more pass rushers. I really want to see what Sam Williams can do with a starter workload, though. He has done nothing but light it up on the ~10 snaps a game he gets.

McMicah

Reaction score
BPA if you really believe in the player, but after watching Sam Williams play, I’m not too worried about the future of DE.

DanA

Reaction score
We’re pretty stacked at edge so it wouldn’t be a focus. It’s not off the table but it’d want to be clearly the best player.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This class is loaded at DE. I could see as many as 6 DEs go in the first in which case I think we’d have a great shot to get one. With the importance of pass rush and seeing how having a great rotation has made our defense great Id lean towards yes over reaching for a bigger need.

Fowler in final year of contract
Basham in final year or contract
Armstrong FA after next year
Yes just because the position is so valuable. We have rotated enough historically that even if we had 3 starting caliber DE's a 4th would still get plenty of snaps

cnuball21

Reaction score
We’re pretty stacked at edge so it wouldn’t be a focus. It’s not off the table but it’d want to be clearly the best player.

DA is currently playing about 50% of our snaps and Fowler / Chauncey have combined to play for about 55% of our snaps.

Even if Tank and Sam are you starting DEs next year Instill think there are a ton of snaps to be had. I’d also argue if there’s a DE that’s BPA in the first it’s likely a better prospect than Sam was.

DanA

Reaction score
DA is currently playing about 50% of our snaps and Fowler / Chauncey have combined to play for about 55% of our snaps.

Even if Tank and Sam are you starting DEs next year Instill think there are a ton of snaps to be had. I’d also argue if there’s a DE that’s BPA in the first it’s likely a better prospect than Sam was.

Unlikely to be physically a better prospect than Sam Williams but maybe technically more advance or coming with less of a character concern. Sam had rare D.Ware type physical traits.

I just think you should expect more from a 1st round player than 25% of snaps first year. I’m sure we’d find decent use for the player, and as I said, I’m not taking them off the board. I just feel like we’d get more bang for buck upgrading a weakness than adding to a strength so for me to take one, they’d have to clearly be BPA.

In saying that I’m much more in favor of improving o-line/d-line with the 1st round picks in general and looking at skill positions only when they’re a blinking light. Doubly so in years when it’s a top 10 pick.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
Unlikely to be physically a better prospect than Sam Williams but maybe technically more advance or coming with less of a character concern. Sam had rare D.Ware type physical traits.

I just think you should expect more from a 1st round player than 25% of snaps first year. I’m sure we’d find decent use for the player, and as I said, I’m not taking them off the board. I just feel like we’d get more bang for buck upgrading a weakness than adding to a strength so for me to take one, they’d have to clearly be BPA.

In saying that I’m much more in favor of improving o-line/d-line with the 1st round picks in general and looking at skill positions only when they’re a blinking light. Doubly so in years when it’s a top 10 pick.

I’d disagree. Sam was outside of the top 50 on almost every big board out there and it wasn’t just off the field concerns. A good amount even had him as a 3rd rounder. There were legit concerns around his pass rush technique and run defense.

He’s shown flashes in limited snaps…so maybe he’ll be a stud as a starter but we won’t know until we have a larger sample size.

I also think the player would get a lot closer to 50% of the snaps instead of 25%.

timb2

Reaction score
I want Fowler & Armstrong back and YES . All my mocks so far I've had a DE to replace aging Demarcus Lawrence. Andre Carter from Army is who I want.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I want Fowler & Armstrong back and YES . All my mocks so far I've had a DE to replace aging Demarcus Lawrence. Andre Carter from Army is who I want.

Carter is a beast. If we draft a 1st round DE you have to let Fowler / DA walk IMO.

With that money plus whatever r can save in cutting Zeke we might have some money to play with.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Absolutely. Tough to have too many edge players and if you do it’s a really nice problem to have because you can always trade one of those guys.

cowboyec

Reaction score
yes.
you can never have enough.
i love isaiah foskey,notre dame...and the kid from kansas state.

John813

Reaction score
Can never have enough talent in the trenches.

Now, depending on who else is there, wouldn't mind going for a blue chip DT if available over a similarly rated DE

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Complete both trenches. I also would consider that DT1 at Baylor.
2nd round at this time looks like the sweet spot for guards.
I actually trust McClay to get’er done