Would you draft a DE in the 1st?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This class is loaded at DE. I could see as many as 6 DEs go in the first in which case I think we’d have a great shot to get one. With the importance of pass rush and seeing how having a great rotation has made our defense great Id lean towards yes over reaching for a bigger need.

Fowler in final year of contract
Basham in final year or contract
Armstrong FA after next year
I'm not opposed to it, but don't believe the front office will view a pass rusher as a top need. Only if a blinking light type scenario happens.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to it, but don't believe the front office will view a pass rusher as a top need. Only if a blinking light type scenario happens.

Unfortunately I think they’re trying to make Parsons an every down DE which is a horrible decision. If so, you’re probably right.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think they’re trying to make Parsons an every down DE which is a horrible decision. If so, you’re probably right.
Very similar to leaving Ratliff at NT. Horrible decision, shortened his career.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Rat was the definition of a stud 3T…had no business playing 1T.

Only the Cowboys are capable of ruining someone like Parsons. He’s just not built to play DE and they’re running him out there 80% of the snaps.

So incredibly dumb.

Mr_437

Reaction score
DEs for 2023 signed:
DLaw
DA
Sam
Golston (DE/DT)

There's definitely room for another DE.

visionary

Reaction score
This class is loaded at DE. I could see as many as 6 DEs go in the first in which case I think we’d have a great shot to get one. With the importance of pass rush and seeing how having a great rotation has made our defense great Id lean towards yes over reaching for a bigger need.

Yep as long as we sign a good FA DT
I won’t quibble with DL, OL or CB in rd 1

VACowboy

Reaction score
I’d disagree. Sam was outside of the top 50 on almost every big board out there and it wasn’t just off the field concerns. A good amount even had him as a 3rd rounder. There were legit concerns around his pass rush technique and run defense..
There were concerns but I don't how legit they were. He had all the physical tools and compiled amazing umbers playing in the SEC. The only reason anyone questioned him against the run is he was playing inside. When a guy rushes the passer like Williams did in college you draft him and worry about his run defense later.

cnuball21

Reaction score
There were concerns but I don't how legit they were. He had all the physical tools and compiled amazing umbers playing in the SEC. The only reason anyone questioned him against the run is he was playing inside. When a guy rushes the passer like Williams did in college you draft him and worry about his run defense later.

Yea, it’s just hard for me to bite bc it was on almost every scouting report. Like I pulled together a bunch around draft time and I think his average ranking was in the 70s.

Good for us bc at worst it looks like we have an outstanding situational pass rusher. Would love to see me against the run before I think he can be an every down guy.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Just don't see it happening as I'd much rather find someone else for the middle. I'd go secondary over DE.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If he has his hand in the dirt on 50-60% of passing plays, he will be fine. If he plays DE in running downs he will wear down

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

CB depth is reaching critical levels. We are looking down the barrel of having to start Bossman or Nashon Wright opposite of Diggs next year. I like Bland best in the slot. They may end up having to reach for best CB available if they don't make a good FA signing this offseason.

Payne would be the perfect FA DT

Payne would be my #1 FA target hands down. Add him to this defense and you are looking at an absolutely suffocating unit. The price is likely going to be prohibitive though.

cnuball21

Reaction score
CB depth is reaching critical levels. We are looking down the barrel of having to start Bossman or Nashon Wright opposite of Diggs next year. I like Bland best in the slot. They may end up having to reach for best CB available if they don't make a good FA signing this offseason.

Payne would be my #1 FA target hands down. Add him to this defense and you are looking at an absolutely suffocating unit. The price is likely going to be prohibitive though.

Let’s give KJ a chance before writing him off. He’s only a 2nd year pro and the team knew he was a little raw when drafted.

I still think he can be a quality pro.

reddyuta

Reaction score
nope.A huge DT on the other hand will complete our defense.