Would you have traded Romo

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Only way I would even think about making the trade would be based on how much I trust McGee to take over the starting job until I could draft a QB and give him a year to sit and learn before throwing him out to the wolves.

So as of today no I would not.

csirl

Reaction score
Should have traded Romo to Raiders. Would put us in a good position to get Luck. Its looking like the Rams will have the #1 pick. They've recently drafted Bradford - they will be interested in trading down for more picks to fill all the holes on their roster. Rams would take 2 x #1 picks plus a couple of replaceable players (Spears & Bennett?) for the #1 pick in a heartbeat.

People on this thread talk about what losing Romo would do to this season. Answer is very little - this team is rebuilding and will not win the SB, so it doesnt matter.

Anyway, there isnt a lot of difference between Romo & Kitna other than that Kitna is a little older. Both have similar backgrounds (small college), both are experienced starters. Romo has been luckly enough to be on slightly better teams than Kitna, hence the better stats. Kitna showed last season that when given the starting job, and the practice reps that go with it, he can do a reasonable job - his record was better than Romos last year. Kitna can fill in for the rest of the season and the first half of next season before making way for Luck.

If we do make it to the play-offs, which is possible due to being in a weak division, we've a better chance with Kitna. Romo isnt a good play-off QB. While Kitna hasnt much play-off experience, his performance in the World Bowl early in his career (in the era of good NFLE QBs ala Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson etc.), should leave no one in any doubt that he's the type of player who rises to the big occasion and can lead a team to victory.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dreghorn2;4190002 said:
I posted this last year and i'll repeat the thought briefly again.

I wish that Romo had been given the luxury of top flight QB tutelage throughout his tenure here.

The Cam Cameron, Norv Turner, Jerry Rhome, Tom Moore, Mike Holmgren type of guys. Professional coaches who have been around the league for a long time and have a history of developing young QBs.

I really feel Tony has been devoid of this type of teaching, except for a brief taste with Sean Payton. He has had to learn a most of it on his own particularly considering his small school free agent background.

Wade Wilson, Jason Garrett aside i can't help but wonder how good he really could have been.

Now he's in a tough postion, this is the internet, NFL network, talking heads, twitter age and he is QB of the Dallas Cowboys. The pressure is enormous and it will only get worse, i'm not sure he was ever given the proper tools in how to handle it.
:bow:

Been saying this forever.

Unfortunately, about 90% of Tony's starting career is going to end up being spent under an incredibly inexperienced OC in Garrett who had done nothing but "develop" Joey Harrington for two years in Miami before he was entrusted with the job here. And Chicago couldn't get rid of Wade Wilson fast enough.

How do we know Tony is being trained, taught, and managed the right way? We really don't. But he's going to take the heat for it.

I just can't believe that Tony would be the exact same player if he'd been tutored by Norv or Mike Holmgren all these years.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
If it was a team that had a very high draft pick projection, then yes. Otherwise, no. This team is really only a solid interior O-line away from being a championship caliber team. If Dallas can address those interior positions in the offseason, then 2012 could be a brilliant season for Romo and the Dallas Cowboys.

btcutter

Reaction score
csirl;4190372 said:
Should have traded Romo to Raiders. Would put us in a good position to get Luck. Its looking like the Rams will have the #1 pick. They've recently drafted Bradford - they will be interested in trading down for more picks to fill all the holes on their roster. Rams would take 2 x #1 picks plus a couple of replaceable players (Spears & Bennett?) for the #1 pick in a heartbeat.

People on this thread talk about what losing Romo would do to this season. Answer is very little - this team is rebuilding and will not win the SB, so it doesnt matter.

Anyway, there isnt a lot of difference between Romo & Kitna other than that Kitna is a little older. Both have similar backgrounds (small college), both are experienced starters. Romo has been luckly enough to be on slightly better teams than Kitna, hence the better stats. Kitna showed last season that when given the starting job, and the practice reps that go with it, he can do a reasonable job - his record was better than Romos last year. Kitna can fill in for the rest of the season and the first half of next season before making way for Luck.

If we do make it to the play-offs, which is possible due to being in a weak division, we've a better chance with Kitna. Romo isnt a good play-off QB. While Kitna hasnt much play-off experience, his performance in the World Bowl early in his career (in the era of good NFLE QBs ala Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson etc.), should leave no one in any doubt that he's the type of player who rises to the big occasion and can lead a team to victory.

You are dreaming that whoever has the 1st pick with trade it away for a simple two first rounder + replaceable players. Would you do it if you were on the other end?
Kitna=Romo :lmao2:

juck

Reaction score
csirl;4190372 said:

Stop making sense!!!! ;)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Not for what the Raiders gave but I'd have gotten the Raiders for more if I could. If you can get that for Palmer I believe they'd have given more for Romo and I'd take that.

I love Romo. I'm a big time fan of his and I do believe he can take us, and will, to a championship win. But for what they gave up no one player is above that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
realtick;4189478 said:
Rivers has done more than Romo by taking his team deep into the playoffs.
Honest question here: Have they made it to the AFC title game?
I know the Cowboys have made it to the NFC 2nd round twice with Romo, but no further.

I agrre that Rivers is a good comp. to Romo and it would be up to the bias on who chose who.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4190405 said:
For 3 1sts yes... 2 firsts no. Romo is worth more than Palmer.
Well Palmer was worth maybe a second rounder to everyone else except Oakland.
He has not been much more than average for some time now.

rcaldw

Reaction score
DFWJC;4190472 said:
Honest question here: Have they made it to the AFC title game?
I know the Cowboys have made it to the NFC 2nd round twice with Romo, but no further.

I agrre that Rivers is a good comp. to Romo and it would be up to the bias on who chose who.

Yes, they made it to the AFC Title game, 2 or 3 seasons ago, can't remember which.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
rcaldw;4190483 said:
Yes, they made it to the AFC Title game, 2 or 3 seasons ago, can't remember which.

Wasn't that the year that Rivers injured his knee and put off the surgery until after the playoffs?

Craig

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Ren;4190138 said:
You're exactly the kind of person Jerry loves someone who buys into the whole "1 player away from competing" BS he tries to sell us on every year.
When we finally get that one player another need comes up and we're constantly chasing it all the way back to the division cellar. We're not going to be able to re-sign all the players who contract are up after this season let alone bring inn "that 1 missing piece"

Romo is 32 all picks and choke talk aside that's not what you want to see on a team that's a few years off competing. The list of QB that have won a SB that age or older is a very short one. Romo is going to play just good enough to keep us out of the QB picutre in coming drafts. We'll never be better then 8-8 9-7 with our current approach to rebuilding. The one time we did it properly it netted us 3 SB, we've won 1 whole playoff game since...

I fear this is a pretty accurate post. Romo's a good player. Great? no way. Spare me the stats and this and that. He's just good enough to break your heart. At 31, we've likely seen the best of Romo. I'd like to see them grab Landry Jones in the draft and let Romo leave after 2012, but I fear Jerry will pay Romo too long like he does every other productive player.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Vtwin;4190121 said:

Really? Did Parcells cut him in 2003, his rookie year? Seemed to me Parcells thought more highly of Romo than Jerry and his golden boy, Drew Henson? No?

Whether you want to credit Payton more or Romo for making a mark in training camp and pre-season, Parcells very much had something to do with Romo being on the roster. And to debate that shows a lack of intelligence.

btcutter

Reaction score
garrett316;4190523 said:
I fear this is a pretty accurate post. Romo's a good player. Great? no way. Spare me the stats and this and that. He's just good enough to break your heart. At 31, we've likely seen the best of Romo. I'd like to see them grab Landry Jones in the draft and let Romo leave after 2012, but I fear Jerry will pay Romo too long like he does every other productive player.

You realize that teams have won with less at QB than Romo right? So it does take a TEAM. If we can build around him from inside out (OL/DL) like the Steelers, Raven...
Right now with the teams we been fielding, Romo is one of the few reason we have a chance to win every game we play. Every Sunday I know that we can win the game unlike the days with Bledsoe, Testeverde, Carter....etc.....I was sad to watch every Sunday knowing that it takes a minor miracle for us to win with those QBs.

So no, lets not trade away our hope. If you guarentee that FILL IN THE BLANK QB can lead us to a SB then ok I'll trade Romo but short of that no. I will draft a QB to develop for the future. If one falls to us in 1st or 2nd even.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Risen Star;4189477 said:
We didn't luck into Tony Romo. Thank Parcells.

You mean Sean Payton. He is the one that pushed Parcells to sign Romo as an UDFA. They are both Eastern Illinois alum. Mike Shananhan went after him too when he was in Denver. Shanny is also a Eastern Illinois alum.