Would you hire Wade Phillips as DC?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You're going to bring in a 3-4 DC in the middle of the season and start learning a new defense? This isn't a video game.

These guys are already confused. Let's start teaching them something new in October - I'm sure that'll fix things.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're going to bring in a 3-4 DC in the middle of the season and start learning a new defense? This isn't a video game.

These guys are already confused. Let's start teaching them something new in October - I'm sure that'll fix things.
I think it’s hard for our fans to accept that we do not have enough talent on defense. Fans tend to overrate scheme and the “name” of the DC, and forget that scheme can’t tackle, cover receivers or pressure the QB.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I think it’s hard for our fans to accept that we do not have enough talent on defense. Fans tend to overrate scheme and the “name” of the DC, and forget that scheme can’t tackle, cover receivers or pressure the QB.
I find it hard to see fans like yourself who think we don’t have enough talent to even be AVERAGE On defense like we should be

Too much talent to not be the WORST defense in the league...

Defiantly a coaching issue with failing to make do with what you have UNTIL you can acquire players that better fit your scheme and style

Reactions: BAT

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it hard to see fans like yourself who think we don’t have enough talent to even be AVERAGE On defense like we should be

Too much talent to not be the WORST defense in the league...

Defiantly a coaching issue with failing to make do with what you have UNTIL you can acquire players that better fit your scheme and style
I didn’t say we didn’t have any talent on defense, I said we don’t have enough talent on D. Which of our current defensive players would start for most other teams? DLaw? LVE and Awuzie if healthy? Sean Lee if healthy? Jaylon? Aldon Smith? Honestly, not all of those guys would start for a lot of NFL teams. IMO, our drafts of defensive players since 2015 have killed us.[/QUOTE]

dwreck27

Reaction score
I didn’t say we didn’t have any talent on defense, I said we don’t have enough talent on D. Which of our current defensive players would start for most other teams? DLaw? LVE and Awuzie if healthy? Sean Lee if healthy? Jaylon? Aldon Smith? Honestly, not all of those guys would start for a lot of NFL teams. IMO, our drafts of defensive players since 2015 have killed us.
[/QUOTE]
All those guys you listed could start on other teams

Diggs would be a great #2 CB for most teams

But sure keep thinking the talent on the roster isn’t even good enough for middle of the road stats lol

cowboyec

Reaction score
no.
i agree with Big Mc.
maybe make some changes to the chess pieces your using...maybe "dumb it down" a little...but it's to early for wholesale changes on a new staff.
i'd bench players before i start firing coaches...especially if i believed in the big picture plan.

Sydla

Reaction score
Now? No.

If you make a change, go with Edwards who has DC experience and been around our players for months.

Shane612

Reaction score
Wade can't be any worse....lol.
Wade wouldn't want to come here.

Shane612

Reaction score

My thoughts, exactly.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Do you mean ever or right now? The reason Nolan’s defense isn’t performing well is not a shock to those who understand the importance of practice. It takes time to implement scheme changes and get players comfortable which Nolan didn’t get nearly enough of.

I always say this isn’t Madden where you just get 99 rated players and crush regardless of scheme.

So if Nolan had 3 weeks of some semblance of practice and zoom meetings in the offseason and it’s not close to enough, why would Wade Phillips work mid season?

Stop with the fantasy football ideas.

Although I'm not happy with how the defense is playing, I do think we need to see how it plays out before making a change. And even if we did make a change during the season, it would need to be someone in-house who would tweak what we're doing instead of wholesale try to change it.

Now, next season? I'm all for bringing back Phillips as DC if Nolan can't right his ship.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wade was a good DC. Players like him but you need other coaches to offset his laid back personality sometimes. But he's a 3-4 guy so if you wanna switch then yes I'd give him a dc or bring him on in some compacity

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Although I'm not happy with how the defense is playing, I do think we need to see how it plays out before making a change. And even if we did make a change during the season, it would need to be someone in-house who would tweak what we're doing instead of wholesale try to change it.

Now, next season? I'm all for bringing back Phillips as DC if Nolan can't right his ship.
If it continues to be this level of bad for 16 weeks even with current starters out who come back then yes I agree

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Lol.

Some of y'alls

What do you expect from a D that had to deal with 5 turnovers?

If my D holds the opponents to 2 TDs after those turn overs, I'm calling it good enough. You gotta put at least 15 points on the O. That would means our D is responsible for 21 and 23 points so far.

That should be more than enough to get it done given our offensive fire power

Landry felt that 24-27 should win most games. We are showing capacity even with makeshift OL to do that

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Do you mean ever or right now? The reason Nolan’s defense isn’t performing well is not a shock to those who understand the importance of practice. It takes time to implement scheme changes and get players comfortable which Nolan didn’t get nearly enough of.

I always say this isn’t Madden where you just get 99 rated players and crush regardless of scheme.

So if Nolan had 3 weeks of some semblance of practice and zoom meetings in the offseason and it’s not close to enough, why would Wade Phillips work mid season?

Stop with the fantasy football ideas.

Nolan's defense takes YEARS to work.

If it ever even does, Falcons became increasingly WORSE the 3 seasons he was LAST a DC.

Wade improves the defense his FIRST season.

He has done this EVERYWHERE he has been a DC.

EVERYWHERE.

Even if Wade not hired, Nolan must be fired.

Lousy DC. Look up his record and reasons why he is always let go.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Nolan's defense takes YEARS to work.

If it ever even does, Falcons became increasingly WORSE the 3 seasons he was LAST a DC.

Wade improves the defense his FIRST season.

He has done this EVERYWHERE he has been a DC.

EVERYWHERE.
He would need the personnel to do it. Perhaps with a full offseason DLaw could learn to do a 2 point stance. Otherwise you have no OLB, no 3-4 DEs and your MLBs are who?

Wade starts hot and then fizzles our after a few years.