Would you hire Wade Phillips as DC?

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Do you mean ever or right now? The reason Nolan’s defense isn’t performing well is not a shock to those who understand the importance of practice. It takes time to implement scheme changes and get players comfortable which Nolan didn’t get nearly enough of.

I always say this isn’t Madden where you just get 99 rated players and crush regardless of scheme.

So if Nolan had 3 weeks of some semblance of practice and zoom meetings in the offseason and it’s not close to enough, why would Wade Phillips work mid season?

Stop with the fantasy football ideas.
You put Lawrence Taylor on this team scheme doesn’t matter

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
On the one hand, of course, he's one of the best DCs ever.

But, Mike needs to have the staff he wants, and because Phillips was here before and already had a relationship with Jerry, that could make things awkward. What we don't need ever again is this situation we had when he was HC where his coordinator was more loyal to the owner than to the HC. I don't think that would ever be a problem with Wade because he isn't like that, but still, the perception wouldn't be good.

Then fire MM too.

What is he bringing to this team? Not W's.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He would need the personnel to do it. Perhaps with a full offseason DLaw could learn to do a 2 point stance. Otherwise you have no OLB, no 3-4 DEs and your MLBs are who?

Wade starts hot and then fizzles our after a few years.

Right NOW Cowboys need to start hot.

Wade is old, Wade has history, Wade would not have an offseason to implement scheme, wade would not be in Dallas long. WHO CARES?

Wade would field a more competitive defense than Nolan immediately.

Give Wade Nolan's players and he would beat Nolan's ace up and down the field. Give Wade his own players and it would not even be a contest.

That is the disparity in their coaching acumen.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Hearing his name louder and louder ........lol

Answer is BOTH.

Wade would FIX this defense AND defense needs more talent.

Trade Tank and Jaylon if possible.

Should have kept Byron Jones instead.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Right NOW Cowboys need to start hot.

Wade is old, Wade has history, Wade would not have an offseason to implement scheme, wade would not be in Dallas long. WHO CARES?

Wade would field a more competitive defense than Nolan immediately.

Give Wade Nolan's players and he would beat Nolan's ace up and down the field. Give Wade his own players and it would not even be a contest.

That is the disparity in their coaching acumen.
Wade with these CBs currently would be a disaster. He’d put them on an island and Worley would get torched even more than he has already

In Denver he had Talib and Harris. In LA he got Ramsey.

His scheme requires great corner play. That doesn’t exist here. Diggs will be really good next year. But he’s a rookie and Worley is awful

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Wade with these CBs currently would be a disaster. He’d put them on an island and Worley would get torched even more than he has already

So you say.

Wade pass rush will prove you wrong.

And could Wade do any worse than Nolan's historically putrid defensive performances?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You're going to bring in a 3-4 DC in the middle of the season and start learning a new defense? This isn't a video game.

These guys are already confused. Let's start teaching them something new in October - I'm sure that'll fix things.

Wade's 3-4 is a 1 gap scheme, like ALL 4-3 schemes.

And Wade has coached 4-3 defenses too.

Better than Nolan has, that is for sure.

Nolan actually built his reputation on traditional 2 gap 3-4.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I'm watching 2020, are you?
I’m watching a defense with no NFL caliber starting CBs and no full time quality LBs.

Marinelli’s soft bend don’t break is really the only scheme that would work because it hides deficiencies ala 2014/2016.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You're going to bring in a 3-4 DC in the middle of the season and start learning a new defense? This isn't a video game.

These guys are already confused. Let's start teaching them something new in October - I'm sure that'll fix things.

Are you watching THIS defense???

It would be insane NOT to change.

Cowboys are looking at one of the WORST defenses in the history of NFL, not just worst in Cowboys franchise history.

Giving up 36.5 points a game is CRIMINAL.

https://www.sportscasting.com/the-d...ace-to-have-the-worst-defense-in-nfl-history/

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I’m watching a defense with no NFL caliber starting CBs and no full time quality LBs.

Marinelli’s soft bend don’t break is really the only scheme that would work because it hides deficiencies ala 2014/2016.

Personnel is on Cowboys FO and MM. So fire their faces too.

But I disagree that only Marinelli's scheme would work.

Wade has had similar talent and has made it work.

Nolan is over his head, out of his depth, bailing water on Titanic, pissing on a firestorm, fill in whatever metaphor you want.

Point is Nolan has **** the bed.

Get him the hell out so we can change the sheets.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Landry felt that 24-27 should win most games. We are showing capacity even with makeshift OL to do that

Lol. Landry. Shut it. Just because your grandkids showed you how to use the internet doesn't mean you are ready to contribute