CFZ Would you prefer an all-in year?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

What say you? You Risky Rick or Safe Sam?

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?

jgboys1

Reaction score
I would if we had an all in roster. This team is far from all in. If we are going to stick with Dak, he is going to need everything prefect for him. 3 very good wide receivers, a good running game, good O-line and a great defense. Too may holes to fill for sub par QB play.

foofighters

Reaction score
I want us to act like a real football organization. I don't want to hear about the paintings at the stadium or what stores are there. I want to see minimal interaction from our owner with the media. I want zero interaction with the media from Jr. The voice of the team needs to be the coach. I want our owner to act like this is a business and and to not treat players like they are his favorite sons. Just to do that. I don't care about the circus that follows the jones boys. I just want football. that's it.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course. Better than a halfway in quarter century!

JBS

Reaction score
This team doesn’t even need to go all in to please the fans

It needs to show some ambition and desire. That’s all. There is no ambition from the front office. That’s what pisses people off. People aren’t mad bc they want to see the team make all in moves and risk everything.

They’re mad because the front office treats us like we are idiots and sells us the same song and dance every year and does nothing to improve.

How can you blame the fans?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When your only upgrades from the previous years failure is 20 year old Rookies then how do you ever expect to really improve?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would if we had an all in roster. This team is far from all in. If we are going to stick with Dak, he is going to need everything prefect for him. 3 very good wide receivers, a good running game, good O-line and a great defense. Too may holes to fill for sub par QB play.

The shortcut is always the Oline but Dak’s proven even that doesn’t matter.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All in for sure.
The thing is about building through the draft for long term success. It will keep you competitive. However you will lose many players in FA as well. So you have to be very good in FA as well to maintain that core team.

You will lose some of your good draft picks. So this 10 year run does not really happen as it looks on paper.

And you must have a top QB to do it. Such as NE had with Brady. And now with Magomes in KC. Some other teams are looking to get there, such as Burrow in Cincinnati.

We have Dak. Can they build and keep a team around him for the long run. So far they have not shown they can.

go all in win a SB. Then those big contracts can go as you rebuild. But you must have a top elite QB to get there consistent.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?
Not with Dakota "WENTZ 2.0" Prescot in the backfield! That's still a recipe for disaster!!!!!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Every team should be All In all the time IMO. I’m not sure Phil took any big time risk In FA mortgaging their future like LA did ??

They built thru draft and complimented in FA. And their QB became a MVP candidate. Not many talk about the impact Hurts elevating has mattered. But we saw what Phil was when he was out.

We are fixing to find out but Hurts could be on the verge of becoming one of the top QB’s at least in NFC. How much difference does that make?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How much closer are we if Dak develops as much as Hurts has in a year?

I know it’s not all about The QB. But how much difference does it make if Dak played at a MVP level this year or in the playoffs throughout?

Even great QB need a solid supporting cast. But could we be closer than we think if our QB was at a MVP level?

And this isn’t to bash Dak. Just food for thought. Does this dysfunctional organization have the ability to build a championship caliber team without a MVP caliber QB? I’m not sure.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The “go for it year” is not an either/or proposition. It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing gamble. To me, the key to getting better is to know where your needs are and to be aggressive without selling all your assets.

For example the eagles got very aggressive this last off-season with both trades and FA acquisitions. BUT- they did not do what the rams did by giving away all their draft assets. In fact, the eagles draft next year includes this:
  • Two first round picks
  • 2nd round pick
  • 3rd round pick
  • Two 7th round picks
The eagles actually have FOUR picks in the top 100 next draft. So they went from a 9-8 #7 seed playoff team in 2021 (with an early exit) to a 14-3 team with the #1 seed and a berth in the SB. In one year.

The key problems for the Cowboys front office IMO is this:
  1. They overvalue their own talent. Jerry looks at his players like a dad watching his sons play high school football. He’s proud of them! Real GMs look at their players with a wary eye, not the eye of a father. They aren’t afraid to cut or trade anyone at any time.
  2. They have to be able to accurately evaluate their team’s weaknesses. When you have a hard time admitting you made a mistake on a player, or are sentimental about a player who no longer has the same value they once had, it’s very hard to get better.
So again, this organization will repeat the same mistakes until they learn how to get more aggressive in the off-season. In fact, the most Important part of every season CAN be the off-season.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team is great at drafting but they severely lack in talent evaluation and acquisition during free agency. I dont think they'd be risking too much to make a couple of moves that could put them over the top. They're not too far away.
They're not great at drafting.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't think this organization needs to go all in on a season, but at some point, they are going to have to take a gamble somewhere. The commitment to relevancy has gotten old, and even seeing them try to be proactive would be nice. That could be actually selling a player while their value is high. That could be going out and getting a Daron Payne in free agency.

The Cowboys have a talent level allowing them to win 8 games every year by mistake and be in a playoff hunt. They can easily pay their stars, let the middle of the pack players go for comp picks and repeat the process winning 10ish games per year and being happy with an occasional playoff win. This commitment to mediocracy has become maddening though. I'd rather the Cowboys swing and miss instead of constantly not swinging the bat though.

I look at the Rams as an All in type of deal....that team is in for a potentially brutal rebuild. I'm not sure the teams like Philly truly fit that criteria though.

Philly used a top draft pick a year ago to trade back for a plethora of riches....the Cowboys use their top 5 draft picks on running backs.

I guess you have to be careful what you wish for though because when Jerry has gone all in in the past it's typically been overpays for guys like Roy Williams.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I don't trust the architects to build that house. Unfortunately, we're probably better off with how they're doing it. It just won't get a ring.