CFZ Would you prefer an all-in year?

jgboys1

Reaction score
No we can win with going all in regardless of who plays under Center. Dak is no Patrick Maholmes. And he needs good players around him like every QB in the NFL minus Maholmes. This idea that Dak needs to carry the team is being blind that football is a team sport.
Agree, but we need a QB who makes plays when the competition gets tougher. That 49er game was winnable. We just needed a QB to make plays and not one that self destructed like Dak did.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
The “go for it year” is not an either/or proposition. It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing gamble. To me, the key to getting better is to know where your needs are and to be aggressive without selling all your assets.

For example the eagles got very aggressive this last off-season with both trades and FA acquisitions. BUT- they did not do what the rams did by giving away all their draft assets. In fact, the eagles draft next year includes this:
  • Two first round picks
  • 2nd round pick
  • 3rd round pick
  • Two 7th round picks
The eagles actually have FOUR picks in the top 100 next draft. So they went from a 9-8 #7 seed playoff team in 2021 (with an early exit) to a 14-3 team with the #1 seed and a berth in the SB. In one year.

The key problems for the Cowboys front office IMO is this:
  1. They overvalue their own talent. Jerry looks at his players like a dad watching his sons play high school football. He’s proud of them! Real GMs look at their players with a wary eye, not the eye of a father. They aren’t afraid to cut or trade anyone at any time.
  2. They have to be able to accurately evaluate their team’s weaknesses. When you have a hard time admitting you made a mistake on a player, or are sentimental about a player who no longer has the same value they once had, it’s very hard to get better.
So again, this organization will repeat the same mistakes until they learn how to get more aggressive in the off-season. In fact, the most Important part of every season CAN be the off-season.
The Cowboys are not the best at #2, and its leads to them doing #1.

Proof

Reaction score
The “go for it year” is not an either/or proposition. It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing gamble. To me, the key to getting better is to know where your needs are and to be aggressive without selling all your assets.

For example the eagles got very aggressive this last off-season with both trades and FA acquisitions. BUT- they did not do what the rams did by giving away all their draft assets. In fact, the eagles draft next year includes this:
  • Two first round picks
  • 2nd round pick
  • 3rd round pick
  • Two 7th round picks
The eagles actually have FOUR picks in the top 100 next draft. So they went from a 9-8 #7 seed playoff team in 2021 (with an early exit) to a 14-3 team with the #1 seed and a berth in the SB. In one year.

1. They overvalue their own talent. Jerry looks at his players like a dad watching his sons play high school football. He’s proud of them! Real GMs look at their players with a wary eye, not the eye of a father. They aren’t afraid to cut or trade anyone at any time.
  2. They have to be able to accurately evaluate their team’s weaknesses. When you have a hard time admitting you made a mistake on a player, or are sentimental about a player who no longer has the same value they once had, it’s very hard to get better.
So again, this organization will repeat the same mistakes until they learn how to get more aggressive in the off-season. In fact, the most Important part of every season CAN be the off-season.
you left out the part where they tanked. that's a crucial detail imo

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bob we have beat this to death.
We don't have a capable, competent GM.

Until we do, we are plain stuck.

Our ceiling is the divisional round of the playoffs.
And, as a long time, die hard fan, it hurts me to type that.
It’s difficult for fans to lower the Bar. But it’s already been lowered . They just aren’t willing accept it .

It’s like a problem relative or friend . You always hope they eventually turn things around but you come not to expect it.

And once you lower those expectations it’s really easier to coexist with them.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The all in year is a little bit of a myth. Denver’s FA spree lasted from 2012-2016, LA rams “screw them picks” went from 2017-current, Philadelphia has been doing variations of this for a decade, from the 2011 dream team to the 2015 Chip Kelly FA splurge to the 2016 Howie roster reset. People often don’t bring up the chiefs when they talk about this but they’re constantly bringing in premium free agents, trading draft assets. After the 2018 SB they signed a whole new offensive line and aggressively went after Tyrann Mathieu. They traded their first rounder to Seattle for Frank Clark; those moves led to their SB win in 2019. AND they continue to sustain that while making more moves along the way like another first traded for Orlando Brown, big safety replacement for Tyrann Mathieu in Justin Reid.

It’s much more of an all-in era, or window, than a single year. Extend Dak, plummet his cap number, and then Push all your chips to the table in FA, trade your picks away and the boost will probably be sustainable until 2026 or 2027.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think everyone would prefer a sustainable, competitive organization. Who wants to be roadkill for several years?

However, there are times to shove all in. I can certainly understand why the Rams did so. Not only from a roster spot but also from a fan base standpoint in a fickle market to support a gazillion $ stadium.

I don't see Philly's moves as all in. I think they have built a sustainable organization centered around the trenches. Once they saw they might have the QB and other talent to compete, sure they got more aggressive but it doesn't seem as though they have actually mortgaged the future. The still have ammunition to keep the team strong for a while. Hate to say it, but that's just good self evaluation and leveraging of assets.

If the Cowboys were in a position where I believed we had a high % chance to win it all, sure I would forgo some future seasons just to end the drought and all the despair.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I mean lets start with letting a HC pick his OC... again you said "Mike wanted Kellen" then "They dont agree so KM had to go" seems to me you tried creating a JG moment all over again....lets start with getting a HC and let him get his guys and sink or swim. Im fine with McClay picking the players as long as it matches what the HC says he needs to run his schemes. I feel lioke we get a team thats made up and schemed into the version that JJ wants not the HC he hired.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

What say you? You Risky Rick or Safe Sam?

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?
yes I do. the only issue is do I trust the GM to make all the moves.

28 years and counting. if we get there and win 1....lets say what the rams did. traded everything to get a ring and a trophy....and now they are 5-12...but they got a trophy.

Wizarus

Reaction score
This team doesn’t even need to go all in to please the fans

It needs to show some ambition and desire. That’s all. There is no ambition from the front office. That’s what pisses people off. People aren’t mad bc they want to see the team make all in moves and risk everything.

They’re mad because the front office treats us like we are idiots and sells us the same song and dance every year and does nothing to improve.

How can you blame the fans?
How can you blame the owner when fans continue to pay for this type of performance? If anything, rocking the boat could affect profits if things go poorly.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This team is great at drafting but they severely lack in talent evaluation and acquisition during free agency. I dont think they'd be risking too much to make a couple of moves that could put them over the top. They're not too far away.

Exactly, and I think that'd do a lot for morale to show that they're trying. I'd rather then use the cap space that they'd use for a lot of B-rated players at best for one or two top FAs.

Dakota

Reaction score
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?
You left out one option: or do nothing of any significance for 27 years. I'll take my chances on all in.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would never want it all in year because it doesn’t guarantee anything and the Cowboys would find a way to screw it up. Too many of our players underachieve.

cnuball21

Reaction score

It doesn’t even have to be “all in.” I’d be happy with just being active in FA to attack weaknesses.

All in to me means you go after all pro caliber players giving up multiple picks. We need to sign a WR2 and a DT and I’m happy. Maybe some OL depth.

cnuball21

Reaction score

• Two first round picks
  • 2nd round pick
  • 3rd round pick
  • Two 7th round picks

Bingo…

Cutting Zeke would be one of the beet
moves we could make this offseason. Addition by subtraction.

Think it will happen? I don’t.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jerry tried that method from 1996 to 2013.

The conservative approach started in 2014 when McClay got the top talent evaluation job and Stephen Jones took over 95% of Jerry's GM duties.

They've had very good rosters most years from 2014 to 2022 but the coaching was not good the vast majority of those years.

The Jerry/Stephen all-in for 2023 was paying Dan Quinn "Head Coach" money. Jerry's concept of HC money but probably not quite as much as McCarthy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What do all-in mean?

Is this all-in:
Free Agent WR 12M per
DT Daron Payne 18M per

tm1119

Reaction score
No I want to spend an extra $15M or so and get 3-4 good/reliable starters in free agency instead of dumpster diving. A reasonable middle ground exists in free agency