CFZ Would you prefer an all-in year?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I want us to act like a real football organization. I don't want to hear about the paintings at the stadium or what stores are there. I want to see minimal interaction from our owner with the media. I want zero interaction with the media from Jr. The voice of the team needs to be the coach. I want our owner to act like this is a business and and to not treat players like they are his favorite sons. Just to do that. I don't care about the circus that follows the jones boys. I just want football. that's it.
:clap::clap::clap:

John813

Reaction score
All in. Don't need to go full stupid and Herschel Walker picks for players and sign every big FA.
But, it would be nice for the FO to accurately evaluate talent, from outside teams and their own team and not view your own with rose colored glasses.
That stupid "only so much pie to go around" comment failed miserably by Stephen as almost everyone they re-signed aged like Milk and their stubbornness not to re-sign Dak in his 4th year cost them 10mil AAV.
They blew their load on Jaylon Smith who had one good year, who was going to be a RFA and paid him top money only to see him go hollywood and regress.
Zeke went bad faster than milk left out in the sun. They didn't want to re-sign Murray after running him ragged for one 1 but caved to Zeke after running him hard for 3 years.
Due to C19 and a shot, they dumped Cooper and replaced him the same way they did Bryant, with a 3rd round WR pick and a JAG at receiver.

They have this stupid mentality that every year could be their year, but they do nothing but hope and pray that the draft returns instant results and players progress during the offseason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't trust the architects to build that house. Unfortunately, we're probably better off with how they're doing it. It just won't get a ring.
That’s kinda how I see it. I think with these Bozo’s running then show we are very fortunate to be a playoff team.

Going for broke could mean for 4 5 win teams.

If we really want to go for broke I’d recommend trying to find the next Elite or MVP type QB. While Dak is enough to build around I can’t help but think one of these Elite QB’s could at least take these Bozo’s a little further.

Look what they were able to build around Romo and Prescott. Imagine they had a Mahomes or Rodgers. Or Herbert or Burrows. Just for example . I think we ultimately will need for these Bozo’s to sniff the glory.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want us to act like a real football organization. I don't want to hear about the paintings at the stadium or what stores are there. I want to see minimal interaction from our owner with the media. I want zero interaction with the media from Jr. The voice of the team needs to be the coach. I want our owner to act like this is a business and and to not treat players like they are his favorite sons. Just to do that. I don't care about the circus that follows the jones boys. I just want football. that's it.
Bravo. Imagine a Cowboys year without having to see or hear JJ or SJ. They could still own the team but they shut up and let the experts run football operation. Just have (like you said) “a real football organization”.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Theyre bad at the 2nd round for some reason but normally they hit on their picks.
Oddly it’s where they like to take risks.

For whatever reason, they believe this is the best place to get the best bang for their investment.

It’s mind boggling. They would be far better off taking a sure, safe contributor here. Just take the BPA or the OL from the big 10, or DT from the SEC.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

What say you? You Risky Rick or Safe Sam?

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?
Just speaking for myself, YES, I would go all in anytime I could.
I much prefer a SB win than 28 years of not even making the NFCCG.
Thing is, I don't trust our GM to manage the all in seasons, but that's a different story

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

What say you? You Risky Rick or Safe Sam?

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?
You don’t need to go all in to build a championship team. You just need somebody with a plan who knows what they’re doing. The Eagles didn’t go all in. They made a move on draft day to trade for and sign AJ Brown. They made a move to draft Devonta Smith. They made a move to draft Jordan Davis. They made a move to acquire another 1st round draft pick. This is not mortgaging the future. They have a plan and execute it. They target somebody and get them while still managing to stockpile draft picks to use for their next target in coming years. The Cowboys set their draft board and wait to see who is left when they pick. It’s the same strategy every year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I would if we had an all in roster. This team is far from all in. If we are going to stick with Dak, he is going to need everything prefect for him. 3 very good wide receivers, a good running game, good O-line and a great defense. Too may holes to fill for sub par QB play.

No we can win with going all in regardless of who plays under Center. Dak is no Patrick Maholmes. And he needs good players around him like every QB in the NFL minus Maholmes. This idea that Dak needs to carry the team is being blind that football is a team sport.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I personally would love it, because it's a different approach. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

All that being said, Jethro and his hillbilly son would find some way to screw it up. So you're almost better off keeping it status quo.

Aven8

Reaction score
Philly didn’t go all in. They traded players that weren’t good enough and got picks while the iron was hot. They had three #1’s last season and traded one to Tenny for AJ. It was a steal for them. They actually remind me of the early 90’s Cowboys with the Walker trade. Lost to Detroit in 91’ and than SB next season. Cocky HC etc. Always trying to improve. Disgusting.

To the OP going all in doesn’t need to be buy buy buy….but they need to get creative to get some Vet players that are really good. They love keeping draft picks but they need to trade a few if it gets you some good players. We need another WR bad. I would say thanks for your service to TP and Zeke as well.

Sydla

Reaction score
They don't have to go all in.

Just don't be ********* stupid in FA like they typically are. Don't ignore clear needs that a few can be filled in FA, even with mid-level guys, instead of telling your fanbase they'll fix it in the draft.

Place more importance on positions that many in the league value - DT for one. Stop overvaluing positions that teams show don't necessarily have a great reward relative to investment - the RB position, for example.

Just be smart. Not doofi like the two Jones have been.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The “go for it year” is not an either/or proposition. It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing gamble. To me, the key to getting better is to know where your needs are and to be aggressive without selling all your assets.

For example the eagles got very aggressive this last off-season with both trades and FA acquisitions. BUT- they did not do what the rams did by giving away all their draft assets. In fact, the eagles draft next year includes this:
  • Two first round picks
  • 2nd round pick
  • 3rd round pick
  • Two 7th round picks
The eagles actually have FOUR picks in the top 100 next draft. So they went from a 9-8 #7 seed playoff team in 2021 (with an early exit) to a 14-3 team with the #1 seed and a berth in the SB. In one year.

The key problems for the Cowboys front office IMO is this:
  1. They overvalue their own talent. Jerry looks at his players like a dad watching his sons play high school football. He’s proud of them! Real GMs look at their players with a wary eye, not the eye of a father. They aren’t afraid to cut or trade anyone at any time.
  2. They have to be able to accurately evaluate their team’s weaknesses. When you have a hard time admitting you made a mistake on a player, or are sentimental about a player who no longer has the same value they once had, it’s very hard to get better.
So again, this organization will repeat the same mistakes until they learn how to get more aggressive in the off-season. In fact, the most Important part of every season CAN be the off-season.
Bob we have beat this to death.
We don't have a capable, competent GM.

Until we do, we are plain stuck.

Our ceiling is the divisional round of the playoffs.
And, as a long time, die hard fan, it hurts me to type that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t at ALL want a Rams situation, especially with these two being in charge of it all…

But I also don’t want to go 12 years without a major free agent acquisition. Think about that.

You’d have to be the greatest drafters in the history of the league for the current plan to work, and they run around with smirks and chuckles as if it’s a proven winning plan.

Teams are worse than us, then they pass us by, then get worse again, etc…..all while we try to stay relevant over the same period. So, while we seem to be able to assemble decent teams that can contend, there’s always a revolving door of teams that are better at a given time.

Speaking of the Rams….who would bet the kids college fund that they don’t tear it down, rebuild it from scratch, and pass us by before Jerry gets to stand up in front of the world and rip the trophy away from the HC?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The qb isn’t going anywhere, the management isn’t going anywhere….may as well go in right now and try to get this team over the hump. Maybe it doesn’t work- how’s that any different than what we’ve been doing for nearly 30 years? At least in that situation we can say we went for it

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Oddly it’s where they like to take risks.

For whatever reason, they believe this is the best place to get the best bang for their investment.

It’s mind boggling. They would be far better off taking a sure, safe contributor here. Just take the BPA or the OL from the big 10, or DT from the SEC.
I agree. If you look at who was available when we picked you'd get depressed.

Proof

Reaction score
I would if we had an all in roster. This team is far from all in. If we are going to stick with Dak, he is going to need everything prefect for him. 3 very good wide receivers, a good running game, good O-line and a great defense. Too may holes to fill for sub par QB play.
we really needed one other reliable pass catcher this year. I'm not a dak defender (anymore) but this is getting ridiculous.

in any event I'd definitely prefer to go all in. at least try, if it fails, i'd rather suck and retool with premium draft capital (like every other team) than remain in limbo forever