CFZ Would you prefer an all-in year?

Reaction score
I would rather the Cowboys strive for sustained success rather than just one year of winning it all followed by several years of stinking.
That requires a top 3 QB. We're nowhere close to that. Best you can hope for is an Eli Manning situation where your defense is great and the QB won't kill you in big games. I'm not even sure the Cowboys have that at QB....which really hurts to say.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I’d remind those Who Dat fans that it took them 43 years to win one. And they had bags over their heads for most of it. Shouldnt have to take any crap off of them.
Oh, I don't, I can also note the number of players and others in the HOF, despite being a team only 7 years longer than the Saints, the overall record of Dallas vs. New Orleans......

Not hard at all!

:muttley:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing the Cowboys go all in but not with Dak. That would kill this team. They would end up going all in and still losing before the NFC championship game and be than the team would have to just let players walk. They need to draft another QB. I thought many people on here agreed this was Daks year and if he didn't get to at least the NFC championship he needs to go.
But he can’t go under his current contract. Not sure what these fans were thinking?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

What say you? You Risky Rick or Safe Sam?

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?
I think this should be an all in year considering Daks Contract.

I'm bringing in as many RBs, Wrs, and tes as I can get in order to get competitive.

If it doesn't work we'll work back to the rookie QB deal philosophy w tons of firepower.

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
naw I rather see a total collapse, I want to see tears streaming down all the freak jones's faces.

coult44

Reaction score
I would rather Cowboys fans stop bringing up other teams and look within themselves.
Idiotic statement.

As a sports fan you compare every single thing to other teams, other players, other coaching staffs, and other FO’s. You can’t “look within” as a fan. All you can do is compare and look at the success and failures of one to another .

This isn’t psychology, it’s football.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Idiotic statement.

As a sports fan you compare every single thing to other teams, other players, other coaching staffs, and other FO’s. You can’t “look within” as a fan. All you can do is compare and look at the success and failures of one to another .

This isn’t psychology, it’s football.
it's not football it's basic business, football is an after thought, but jerry does love you. Buy some more "gear'. lmao, gear, the most stupid thing i have ever heard

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Matters not. If Jerry Jones is calling the shots, it's going to wind up failing in the end.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry's all in is very different from other GMs. He don't know how or when to do such a thing.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I wouldn't because history states it's not as easy as going all in, is it? So many teams have tried this approach and failed Build within (which we are), and fill in what is needed to take you to the promise land (this is where we have failed year after year)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That requires a top 3 QB. We're nowhere close to that. Best you can hope for is an Eli Manning situation where your defense is great and the QB won't kill you in big games. I'm not even sure the Cowboys have that at QB....which really hurts to say.
I'm not interested in your hater opinion of Dak. Never talk to me again.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing the Cowboys go all in but not with Dak. That would kill this team. They would end up going all in and still losing before the NFC championship game and be than the team would have to just let players walk. They need to draft another QB. I thought many people on here agreed this was Daks year and if he didn't get to at least the NFC championship he needs to go.
Yep as we say, this is the central element to the Dak v Anti-Dak, the fact that his fan's blame a multitude of issues.....running game, WR's, O-Line, OC, HC indicates we arent close, maybe able to pick off the weak, but even that's going to be a challenge with a strong East. If there was one issue that kept us from 'going over the top' then great go for it, however, we arent, there are so many potential holes that stop us from being a SB championship.
The 9'ers just proved that to be fair and balanced we need to add Dak's on-field composure and ability to win in face of adversity (or even in 2 minute drill when it matters) to the above list.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
I would prefer the front office not being stupid. Who says the Eagles aren't going to. E great next year too? The Rams were able to do it for multiple years, people seem to forget the fact that they were in the Superbowl twice not once... Jerry is trying to sell the lie that it is just for one year so that he doesn't look like the idiot that he is.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

What say you? You Risky Rick or Safe Sam?

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?
The thing people forget with this type of bellyaching and putting together an assembly line Super Bowl team, if only you put in the money and risk away being competitive next year.

Is that true, Across the board? After the Cowboys won their trifecta of Super Bowls in the 1990s, I remember them having an identity crisis.
They had to rebuild instead of constantly retooling, restaffing and regrouping. Then they went for the big risk players, who, if they taught you anything, it's that any star player is still really only as good as his teammates.

I say the same thing when it comes to government. No matter the system, any system is only as good as the people running it. The historically more successful teams don't do what the Rams did or the Eagles did.

Those teams merely won a Super Bowl in the past five years. But let's not forget the Eagles still haven't played the game yet, and I'm told that's why they actually hold these contests instead of predicting them.

And predicting the outcome of next season based on some recency-biased formula from last season, based off of the Rams and the Eagles, doesn't seem like the most sure-fire way to win a championship anyway. I mean, there are, theoretically, other ways to do it.
Think about cultures like the Jain, where they have Ahimsa as a prime tenet of their belief system. They take it to extremes to insects to the point of even helping the insects by allowing them to feed off of themselves. But, the goal is not to harm.

Signing the wrong free agent to bolster your team in the now, even if it sacrifices the youth and potential of the team you can make going forward, is what we did in the past that never worked out.

It's a blueprint, people will say.

A blueprint for what?

The moves the Eagles made and the moves that the Rams made were not even the same moves. They were moves that were made that were specific to that team's needs at the time.

Do you really think a free agent from last year would have put us over the top this year?

Who? And how can you prove it? Because the Eagles did it in 2018 and the Rams last year?

Personally, I don't think it would have. I believe it's more about the team you build and how that team works as extensions of each other as a team. I'll take a group who does that well any day over some rent a cop deal with the proverbial big fish NFL free agent. Maher would have still missed those kicks, injuries still happen, and we still lost 3 days of preparation, compared to the 9ers after having to travel to their house, after also traveling to the 8-9 Bucs home playoff game.

The part nobody seems to get here is that being competitive and failing at it, is part of the road to winning. I think we'd all regret going back to the days of the early 2000s.

There's a saying in life: you win some, you lose some. Same goes for the NFL, for every single team under the sun. I like the path we're on, but I also see it as unique to our team. We've got some key components to win a Super Bowl. We had a legitimate chance to get there, with the team we had.

But things happen. Like, you get 3 full days less to prepare for the game when you count it was an away game and travel time. That's a deal for a game that counts as a win or loss, no matter how many points you win by.
Our kicker, who I still think should be investigated, had a bout of amnesia during our two most crucial games forgetting all about the fact that he was a professional kicker. Pollard gets hurt when there's still plenty of time left, and Peters is out, which I think would have made Dak more comfortable.

We can blame Dak, but in reality,

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
When your only upgrades from the previous years failure is 20 year old Rookies then how do you ever expect to really improve?
Think about that for a bit... it's there. Just hasn't hit you.

And to edit the end of the message above, I was just saying, yes, Dak was the primary reason we lost. But there were other reasons, too, and preparation time for two away games when one team that hosted was 8-9, is just kinda bad luck.

That means, after the win on the road in Tampa, we had to pack up and fly back home to Texas, be off for 3 days, then pack up and fly off to the other side of the coast for an away game against a team that was really good.

I think the team this year are significantly better than last year, both NFC and AFC representatives are stronger. But we were right up there with the Eagles and 9ers. It's going to be like a one in three chance you get by them, and we just didn't this time.

We did, however, show we weren't far from being there. Getting that close didn't take a free agent, it took a cohesive team that dumped out their buckets as hard as they could for their teammates. And that's what you need.

Flock the big fish free agent theory.

Last edited:

birdwells1

Reaction score
The “go for it year” is not an either/or proposition. It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing gamble. To me, the key to getting better is to know where your needs are and to be aggressive without selling all your assets.

For example the eagles got very aggressive this last off-season with both trades and FA acquisitions. BUT- they did not do what the rams did by giving away all their draft assets. In fact, the eagles draft next year includes this:
  • Two first round picks
  • 2nd round pick
  • 3rd round pick
  • Two 7th round picks
The eagles actually have FOUR picks in the top 100 next draft. So they went from a 9-8 #7 seed playoff team in 2021 (with an early exit) to a 14-3 team with the #1 seed and a berth in the SB. In one year.

The key problems for the Cowboys front office IMO is this:
  1. They overvalue their own talent. Jerry looks at his players like a dad watching his sons play high school football. He’s proud of them! Real GMs look at their players with a wary eye, not the eye of a father. They aren’t afraid to cut or trade anyone at any time.
  2. They have to be able to accurately evaluate their team’s weaknesses. When you have a hard time admitting you made a mistake on a player, or are sentimental about a player who no longer has the same value they once had, it’s very hard to get better.
So again, this organization will repeat the same mistakes until they learn how to get more aggressive in the off-season. In fact, the most Important part of every season CAN be the off-season.
You are absolutely right! The issues is that other real GMs that have their jobs on the line don't have time for overvaluing or waiting too long to cut ties with bad players.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If you're saying we should be more like the Eagles than the 9ers or the 9ers than the Eagles, it's like splitting hairs. Both teams got their free agents. We got ours on the cheap, which could have worked, if Zeke hadn't partied his body into damnation and we had a better plan in place on the active roster for an injury to Pollard other than relying on Zeke, that's another deal.

I'll also say that, whoever made the call, whether Kellen or Dak audibled out of it, to pass at that proximity to the goal line on 2nd and 2 is really just trying to hand them the game. We all wanted to be unpredictable. But that wasn't the place for it.

McCarthy also mismanaged the time, when it really mattered.

Fixing those things, and not just having the players all coached up, for the better of the team, or their futures, or whatever you're saying you're coaching them up for, at least have examples from top to bottom at the coaching level, and be prepared yourself. You know, to get the punt team on the field, or call the timeout. That is, only if you're stupid enough to think punting gives you a better chance than going for it on 4th and 10, which is absolutely not the case.

If I'm Jerry, McCarthy is on a thin leash this season.. and anything other than another playoff win would be unacceptable. Getting there, and then losing could be cause for firing him. Or it could mean we lose again next year. That way, when we finally do win, or if we die bitter or felt cheated because the Cowboys didn't win a Super Bowl, well, then, that's all part of being a fan, as far as much as you can do is observe. Part of being a fanatic means you're fanatical about not being able to play a part other than to observe, cheer and support, getting screwed over at the time by the people who are in control.

It's like voting. For a party. Lol. It doesn't really help anything, really, you just do it so your voice can be heard. The powers that be take your agency to support them, and then sell your interests to the highest bidder.

And you'd be wise to only find joy in the entertainment, rather than making it something central to your actual identity or every fan of any team would be let down the majority of the time. Being fanatical about a hobby should be something you enjoy doing, your fandom shouldn't have too much to do with who you are or what you base your other life goals are, because at the end of the day all football really is is escapism anyway.

It's like the Golden Ticket in Willie Wonka, when you think about it.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If I'm Jerry, McCarthy is on a thin leash this season.. and anything other than another playoff win would be unacceptable
You're not Jerry. That's the thing, people keep trying to make Jerry into somebody he isn't, doesn't matter what you or anybody else would do.

Jerry will stick with Mike, and Dak, as long as possible, because he said when MM was hired, and has said again repeatedly, that Mike's "his guy".
And has said, repeatedly again, that Dak is "his guy".

Jerry is loath to admit he made a mistake more than just about anybody in the league, and to let Mike or Dak go would be just that, admitting he made a mistake.

Anybody who kept Jason Garrett as the head coach for 10 years isn't going to get Mike go after consecutive 12-win seasons....