Would You rather pay Dak $40m or spread it around on defense?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
15 points or less in 4 games last year is not elite
including the game against Philly with their "home depot" backfield.

:facepalm:
seattle had 4 losses with 17 point or less. 2 games scoring 12, 13....I guess Wilson is not elite
GB had 4 games they lost scoring less than 14...I guess Rodgers is not elite
Philly had 3 games scoring less than 12...I guess wentz is really not elite
Saints had 4 games scoring less than 14...man brees is not elite
NE had 6 games scoring less than 16...oh maaannn Brady is not Elite
Chiefs and mahomes had 2 games they scored less than 17.....and he deserves $45M a year!!! what elite....no my expectations aren't met

you really don't get football. do you?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
it does. Its a team sport. He did his part. The others did not. Mainly the defense and coaches. You and I may not like it, but the market dictates price. He's gonna get overpaid now..but later it will look like a bargain.
you have to understand and get it right...when we win, its not Dak, its never Dak, its all the other players that helped him win..when we lose, its because Dak couldn't lift the team to victory, its his lack of leadership and he sucks...

get it? got it?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't think any QB is worth the amount of money they make. I also don't think a hot dog at the stadium should run you $10 or tickets should be a mortgage payment. Unfortunately, that's the NFL today.

I also understand the salary cap. Without it, teams with large markets, would just out spend the smaller markets, thus giving them an unfair advantage. As far as being pro team, I am also. Do I think paying Dak an enormous amount of money would hurt the team in other areas? Sure. Any sane person would. Having said that... I still feel Dak is entitled to try for, and receive everything he can get.

As fans, we have the luxury of sitting back and saying, "Dak should play for less because it would help the team". The reality of the situation is, Dak owes the team nothing. They drafted him, offered him a contract, Dak fulfilled that contract, and is now looking for a new contract. Dak and his agent would be idiots if they didn't push for everything they could possibly get. I don't think Dak should take less, just so that DE, Safety, etc (whose asking for the moon also) can get signed.

Every time these players take that field, it could be their last NFL game. In fact, it could be the last time they get around under their own power. These players put their body, and future health on the line every weekend so people can be entertained, and owners can make millions and millions of dollars. Hell, posters on this site have said many times, "What have you done lately?" Owners say the same thing. Players are used up and thrown away. If I was Dak, I would be damned if I would give the Multi-Billionaire owner a break, just so he could buy another shiny new toy.

Perhaps you summed it up best in your post. {{I don't care if Dak plays for food stamps. He's not my problem. I want my team to win. I don't care who plays for us.}} Most fans feel the same way... That's why players have to get theirs when they can and ignore all the noise made by fans who could honestly care less about them.
OMG, finally someone who gets it...I guess you don't play Madden football...given most of these pundits seem to have that type of logic......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So a few problems with the “let’s use all the extra cap money from NOT signing Dak to buy all these FAs”...
1) we don’t know for sure if we have a defensive coaching staff capable of utilizing even extreme talent. We’ve certainly had abundances of talent in recent years and not scratched the surface on reaching its potential. I’m hopeful Magic Mike and the new staff will but we will see. I know that Rod and JG couldn’t have won with our 92 roster.
2) who are all these big name FAs that we want?
A) You don’t want to pay Dak but would rather get into a bidding war and pay 20m for a DB? Resign byron Jones for his 3career INTs at 16m?
B. It also takes two to tango, some top players we covet just won’t come here for one reason or another,...scheme,.fit, like where they are, don’t want to live in Dallas, contract, etc...someone like Aaron Donald just aren’t getting away from their current teams at least until they are injured or past prime....which is often when we swoop in and get them anyway. Some top players you are only going to get if you pony up draft picks PLUS a big contract extension. We did that with Amari but we didn’t have enough picks to go after Mack....wasn’t even a matter of cap or money...it was draft picks and parting with those. See Jamal Adams...
C who have we wanted that we didn’t get? Clowney? There are reasons outside of money and cap to not sign Clowney. Griffin? Maybe but we sign him and then we have a logjam at DE.
Seems like the assumption is that if we pay Dak we can’t bring in all these top FAs....we only bargain shop in FA anyway.
I find it hard to believe that Jerry won’t find a way to sign someone he really wants. The only big money we give out is to folks already on our roster anyway.

I’m not promoting that we should sign Dak whatever the cost, only that I don’t think we would or could even use the money we would save by not.
not only that, but which defensive FAs? those dak detractors are angry and don't want to pay Dak 35M but are willing to over pay for Quinn and Jones, thinking that would make us great? we had them and defense wasn't great? or they are OK with paying for over paying Clowney, because they play madden football, but the dude is so over rated.....or lets over pay griffen, because he will make this team elite.....I bet you if you ask them, lets not have Dak, and keep the money who would you sign and you will get a laugh at the list and how much they are willing to overpay.....

I think you hit the nail on the head...

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
seattle had 4 losses with 17 point or less. 2 games scoring 12, 13....I guess Wilson is not elite
GB had 4 games they lost scoring less than 14...I guess Rodgers is not elite
Philly had 3 games scoring less than 12...I guess wentz is really not elite
Saints had 4 games scoring less than 14...man brees is not elite
NE had 6 games scoring less than 16...oh maaannn Brady is not Elite
Chiefs and mahomes had 2 games they scored less than 17.....and he deserves $45M a year!!! what elite....no my expectations aren't met

Don't all those QB's you mentioned have SB rings? There resume's are a little better than Dak's. Get back to me when Dak has at least gotten to the NFC championship game. I have seen Rodgers Brees, Wilson literally drag their teams down the field to win games i saw Wentz playing without half his offense put 2 TD's on the board when our QB playing with everybody put 9 points on the board in the most important game of the season (thank god for our FG kicker) I won't even mention Brady because putting Dak into any conversation with a guy who has 6 SB's and played 9 times in the game is utterly ridiculous and anybody who watched this years SB saw Mahomes put the chiefs on his back and find a way to win the game against the 49's. The guy who doesn't belong in the conversationg with these guys is Dak

jsb357

Reaction score
seattle
GB
Philly
Saints
NE
Chiefs

seattle QB under contract
GB QB under contract
Philly QB under contract
Saints QB under contract
NE QB not resigned
Chiefs just lead his team to a SB win

Plus ALL those mentioned were IN the playoffs last year
Dak led Dallas was not.

This is Dallas, like it or not the expectations are higher.

you really don't get Dallas football do you?

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We have a new headline....

"Romo retired in 2017"

It appears some fans think just because they see Romo on CBS they may be confused that he's still playing, we would like to clear up this confusion.

Tony would also like to refute the rumor that his contract discussion with CBS stalled over the 5 year option.

But it was Garrett wasting his career isn't that correct? How many HC has Dak played under and who was the HC? People use a scape goat in protecting Romo yet Dak played under the same HC, they same system yet it is all his fault? lol ok
Yes Dak is looking for a contract and right now we hear many things many appear not to be true. In my view a deal will get done and I have no doubt within a couple of years Dak contract will be middle of the road for QB's

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You're dead right.

I can see why Dak wants a shorter contract, BUT, a longer contract allows MM flexibility to mould the defence.

The financial issues are in years 2 (2021) and possibly 3 (2022) …. that's why i'd want a 5th to spread out the financial outlay.
Dallas loves to restructure contracts and move money around. A shorter contract doesn't allow that

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don't all those QB's you mentioned have SB rings? There resume's are a little better than Dak's. Get back to me when Dak has at least gotten to the NFC championship game. I have seen Rodgers Brees, Wilson literally drag their teams down the field to win games i saw Wentz playing without half his offense put 2 TD's on the board when our QB playing with everybody put 9 points on the board in the most important game of the season (thank god for our FG kicker) I won't even mention Brady because putting Dak into any conversation with a guy who has 6 SB's and played 9 times in the game is utterly ridiculous and anybody who watched this years SB saw Mahomes put the chiefs on his back and find a way to win the game against the 49's. The guy who doesn't belong in the conversationg with these guys is Dak
now you spin the argument and trying to pigeon hole who qualifies and who doesn't?

when was the last time Brees had a superbowl appearance?

Wentz got a superbowl ring, he didn't play in it, nor the playoffs.

and are you insinuating that given he didn't win it in his first 4 years, then he is never going to win it?

how long did it take Brees to win it? or Rodgers? Wasn't Brees let go by his team and replaced by Rivers?

you are just spinning and picking very specific games to justify your agenda and opinion....Dak has had several games including the win over seattle in the playoffs, that he dragged the team to victory (as you put it)…..

so please just spin away, create even a tighter pigeon hole....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
seattle QB under contract
GB QB under contract
Philly QB under contract
Saints QB under contract
NE QB not resigned
Chiefs just lead his team to a SB win

Plus ALL those mentioned were IN the playoffs last year
Dak led Dallas was not.

This is Dallas, like it or not the expectations are higher.

you really don't get Dallas football do you?
LOL. you don't get football at all. do you?

so how do we spin this yet again, right? first the argument was he scored less than 14 in 4 games. we showed there are many QBs who don't score that many..now, its they made it to the playoffs....

so if those guys offense didn't score that many points, like less than 14 and won some games, which they did....where is the defensive culpability in all of this? and would you take any of their coaches over Garrett? what if Peyton was HC of the cowboys, you think couple of those losses would have been wins?

its so obvious you are blaming Dak for all the losses, yet credit everybody else for the wins...

you really don't get football, much less Dallas football. do you?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
now you spin the argument and trying to pigeon hole who qualifies and who doesn't?

when was the last time Brees had a superbowl appearance?

Wentz got a superbowl ring, he didn't play in it, nor the playoffs.

and are you insinuating that given he didn't win it in his first 4 years, then he is never going to win it?

how long did it take Brees to win it? or Rodgers? Wasn't Brees let go by his team and replaced by Rivers?

you are just spinning and picking very specific games to justify your agenda and opinion....Dak has had several games including the win over seattle in the playoffs, that he dragged the team to victory (as you put it)…..

so please just spin away, create even a tighter pigeon hole....

I'm not spinning a thing i just pointed out a couple of things you didn't and by the way none of those guys signed huge type mega deals that Dak wants now before they won a SB

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If you don’t have a QB, you have nothing. Until next offseason, it is too late to spend money on defense. The only way to spend money on defense is to overpay in free agency for players whose teams that know them best have already decided they are not worth what they want.

Then you also go down the path of trying to find a rookie QB who is worth a crap. That is a total crapshoot. No one is a sure thing...no one! And if you go with a cheap vet, he is only cheap if you don’t win. If you do win, you now have to pay that guy or start over again.

Fans just need to relax, stop reading what’s in the media, and wait for the inevitable.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm not spinning a thing i just pointed out a couple of things you didn't and by the way none of those guys signed huge type mega deals that Dak wants now before they won a SB
they signed huge deals, that were big at the time they were signed. cousins just signed for 33M extension. Ryan's contract was outrageous when signed, so was Stafford, so was Wilson and so will be mahomes….its the NFL QB contract carrousel....that's how it goes.....

the facts are there is a minority group of fans on this forum, who don't like dak, not for any reason other than his contract value...99% of them had no complaints and threw accolades at him the past 4 years. they argued for him being better than wents, etc...now, 35 mill and they are all angry to the point of some writing, he is not worthy of starting in this league and worst than any starter!!! if the contract demands were 31M a year, then most of this same group would be singing praises on how we got a steal for a top 10 QB....

they are unable to separate performance, value from contract dollars......I am sure you will argue that performance, value = contract dollars....

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
they signed huge deals, that were big at the time they were signed. cousins just signed for 33M extension. Ryan's contract was outrageous when signed, so was Stafford, so was Wilson and so will be mahomes….its the NFL QB contract carrousel....that's how it goes.....

the facts are there is a minority group of fans on this forum, who don't like dak, not for any reason other than his contract value...99% of them had no complaints and threw accolades at him the past 4 years. they argued for him being better than wents, etc...now, 35 mill and they are all angry to the point of some writing, he is not worthy of starting in this league and worst than any starter!!! if the contract demands were 31M a year, then most of this same group would be singing praises on how we got a steal for a top 10 QB....

they are unable to separate performance, value from contract dollars......I am sure you will argue that performance, value = contract dollars....

Ya drew brees signed a 5 year 60m deal with 8m fully guaranteed...lol
Rodgers signed a deal the year he won the SB but it was only an extension to the deal he was on which had 2 years left on it
Brady was on a rookie deal when he won his 1st SB
Wilson was on a Rookie deal when he won the SB
Wentz was on a rookie deal when he won the SB
Mahomes was on a Rookie deal when he won the SB

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368304
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...0-million-contract-extension-according-source

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ya drew brees signed a 5 year 60m deal with 8m fully guaranteed...lol
Rodgers signed a deal the year he won the SB but it was only an extension to the deal he was on which had 2 years left on it
Brady was on a rookie deal when he won his 1st SB
Wilson was on a Rookie deal when he won the SB
Wentz was on a rookie deal when he won the SB
Mahomes was on a Rookie deal when he won the SB

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368304
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...0-million-contract-extension-according-source
again, if they don't win a superbowl in their rookie contract, they don't deserver a large second contract?

and what was Brees contract relative to the cap at the time? and it still doesn't change the fact he didn't win the superbowl on rookie contract and was let go by his team.

Wentz got a ring. he didn't win the superbowl….

and sounds like you have written the end of the book on Dak's career, suggesting that he will never win a superbowl...is that right?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
again, if they don't win a superbowl in their rookie contract, they don't deserver a large second contract?

and what was Brees contract relative to the cap at the time? and it still doesn't change the fact he didn't win the superbowl on rookie contract and was let go by his team.

Wentz got a ring. he didn't win the superbowl….

and sounds like you have written the end of the book on Dak's career, suggesting that he will never win a superbowl...is that right?

Your the guy who decided to compare Dak to guys who mostly did...not me. Perhaps it's because most of the really good ones Do win it during their rookie contracts. And those who didn't usually took their teams to at least the conference championship games. Here's a few more ..Big Ben won SB during rookie contract, Eli Manning won SB during rookie contract, Dan Marino got to the SB during rookie contract, Jarrod Goff got to the SB during his rookie contract, Cam Newton got to the SB during his rookie deal. Dak is not anywhere close to any of these guys, he should have taken the deal for approx 32-33m he was offerred before last season, he is going to come to regret that. He plays on the tag this season and is gone next season, that is what i see happenning

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Your the guy who decided to compare Dak to guys who mostly did...not me. Perhaps it's because most of the really good ones Do win it during their rookie contracts. And those who didn't usually took their teams to at least the conference championship games. Here's a few more ..Big Ben won SB during rookie contract, Eli Manning won SB during rookie contract, Dan Marino got to the SB during rookie contract, Jarrod Goff got to the SB during his rookie contract, Cam Newton got to the SB during his rookie deal. Dak is not anywhere close to any of these guys, he should have taken the deal for approx 32-33m he was offerred before last season, he is going to come to regret that. He plays on the tag this season and is gone next season, that is what i see happenning

I didn't compare...I posted facts...... based on the original post (below), that had no comments about salary, salary%, superbowl wins...the only qualifying statement was he scored less than 15 points in 4 games in 2019, therefore he is not elite...so I posted all the other QBs whose teams had similar stats in 2019.....and now you have spun that into contracts, superbowl wins, comparing past stats and accomplishments, etc....

and all of those QBs have had pretty good head coaches...do you think Garrett was a good head coach that could lead teams to victory?

15 points or less in 4 games last year is not elite
including the game against Philly with their "home depot" backfield.

:facepalm:

Polkton31

Reaction score

Couple things that need to be pointed out in this post.

First, The Cowboys were one game away from the NFC Championship game when they lost to the Rams. Are you putting that lost on Dak as an individual? If you watched the game, Dak clearly outplayed Goff. The defense laid an egg. Dak didn't let Anderson rush for 123 yards and 2 TDs. Nor did he let Gurley rush for 115 and a TD.

Second, If you haven't seen Dak carry the team down the field to to help win a game, then you haven't watched all of his games.

Third, If Wentz played without half of his offense, and still scored 2 TDs, wouldn't that be more of an indictment on the Cowboys defense instead of Dak?

Lastly, I did watch this years SB, and what I saw was a defense for KC which rallied late and gave Mahomes the opportunity to lead the team to a victory. Having said that, Mahomes is a better QB than Dak. Absolutely no argument on that. But... Mahomes had a rating of 78 in the SB... Dak would be crucified for that rating, and some people would use it to say the Cowboys won in spite of his bad play. Just saying.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Couple things that need to be pointed out in this post.

First, The Cowboys were one game away from the NFC Championship game when they lost to the Rams. Are you putting that lost on Dak as an individual? If you watched the game, Dak clearly outplayed Goff. The defense laid an egg. Dak didn't let Anderson rush for 123 yards and 2 TDs. Nor did he let Gurley rush for 115 and a TD.

Second, If you haven't seen Dak carry the team down the field to to help win a game, then you haven't watched all of his games.

Third, If Wentz played without half of his offense, and still scored 2 TDs, wouldn't that be more of an indictment on the Cowboys defense instead of Dak?

Lastly, I did watch this years SB, and what I saw was a defense for KC which rallied late and gave Mahomes the opportunity to lead the team to a victory. Having said that, Mahomes is a better QB than Dak. Absolutely no argument on that. But... Mahomes had a rating of 78 in the SB... Dak would be crucified for that rating, and some people would use it to say the Cowboys won in spite of his bad play. Just saying.

I've never seen Dak carry the team...never! Be a game manager/bus driver yes (and that is not always a bad thing but it is who he is) Defense still only gave up 17 points (on the road in that game at Philly) Dak should have been able to put at least that much up or in a worst case scenario get us a couple of TD's. We must have been watching vastly different SB games because i saw Mahomes make big play after big play when he needed to in that 4th quarter to win the game, and just because the D got him the ball back doesn't mean they scored for him, it's not like they got him the ball back on the 49's goal line