Would You? Simmons to Cowboys

Aven8

Reaction score
I read the article like it had happened!!!lol

No way Jose

kskboys

Reaction score
Holy Larry, let's mess up our team trading for high salaried players again.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Simmons i a UFA after this year, He is making $11.4 million this year. The Cowboys would be on the hook for his salary for 11 games or $7.8 million against the CAP. But then they would have to sign him to a long term contract or eat a 2nd and 4th round pick so he can play 11 games?

I don't know the player that well, but since he is a UFA, and 2nd and 4th is too much. I would offer a 3rd and maybe a receiver like Ventell Bryant.

I am not against trading 2021 picks because it is going to be an odd year for the draft due to COVID restrictions. But I wouldn't give them away either. The Cowboys are not 1 player away from being a contender although a safety would help. With so many players out for the year they need to not trade away the future for the present.

Oh hell no .....2nd to rent a player for what 9-10 games. I might consider the 4th round pick and that's if I'm in a good mood but anything over that......NO and NO again lol

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He requires a new contract.

He is on the tag this season at 11.44M.

It would be 13.73M to Franchise him next season but a team would likely agree to a new contract before trading for him; although he can't sign a new contract this year.

Our 2021 tag is for Dak.......if we need it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If we really want to sink a mega contract into a safety just wait until next year when he can be had on the open market for free. Or better yet just draft someone.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
ESPN has the Cowboys bolstering its secondary by trading for Broncos safety Justin Simmons who’s a low-key star.

Broncos trade Justin Simmons to Cowboys
Dallas Cowboys get: S Justin Simmons
Denver Broncos get: 2021 second-round pick, 2022 fourth-round pick

Two years ago, a struggling Cowboys team turned around its season by sending a first-round pick to the Raiders for Amari Cooper. The move was widely panned, but Dallas was right: The Cowboys were a much better team with Cooper on the field, they won the NFC East and they turned around what had been a struggling Dak Prescott.

Now, it's a flailing defense that needs to be fixed. The Cowboys haven't been interested in safety Earl
Thomas, but what they need is someone who can be stout against the run and solid in coverage. Trading for Simmons would be a bold move, especially given that they just lost Prescott for the season, but Dallas has enough to win the NFC East with Andy Daltonbehind center if it can get the secondary right. Team owner Jerry Jones and the front office also have shown an interest in trading for young stars they can sign to extensions, and Simmons would presumably be open to a significant extension on the sort of long-term deal the Cowboys favor.

Broncos fans would likely want to hold out for a Jamal Adams-sized package in return for their star safety, but that's just not realistic. Adams was two years away from free agency, while Simmons is already on his first franchise tag. The Broncos weren't able to come to terms on a contract extension before the season with the Boston College product, and with Simmons set to make $13.7 million on a second franchise tag against a $175 million cap next year, things aren't going to get any easier.

If Denver loses its next two games and falls out of the playoff race at 1-5, it will have to face facts. There's no sense in having Simmons play the second half of a lost season before letting him leave in free agency. Locking in a second-round pick gets the Broncos a better pick than a third-round compensatory selection, has that pick arrive a year early and allows general manager John Elway to spend in free agency without negating that would-be compensatory pick.

For the biggest reasons ESPN points towards the Cowboys making this trade are the exact reasons they should not or would not. To start out with a lower cap next season there will be less money available to try to keep a player who already wants to be paid top money. Next, the mentioned 2nd round pick that could get a safety or other help on the defense on a rookie salary and not top dollars. Trading for a player already on a tag is seldom done because after that season is over there are chances that the player will end up walking so you give up valuable draft choice(s) just to rent a player for half or less of a season. Lastly Simmons has the same agent as Prescott, France, who has proven he doesn't negotiate, just demands for his player to get paid what he wants them to be paid.

ESPN should keep in mind that this is the NFL and not fantasy football.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He requires a new contract.

He is on the tag this season at 11.44M.

It would be 13.73M to Franchise him next season but a team would likely agree to a new contract before trading for him; although he can't sign a new contract this year.

That's the correct answer to.....

mickey_1469164507654_9667220_ver1.0.jpg

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Not gonna lie. I am tempted to hope we finish the season 5-11 get a top 10 pick, tag Dak and have 11 picks in the 2021 draft. That would be an exciting draft night. But beating the Eagles and making the playoffs would put a smile on my face as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think you've summed things up very well.

The Cowboys have enough issues with their salary cap already. And they need each and every draft pick that they have in order to improve their obvious weak areas, as well as to attempt to replace bad contracts that they would like to get out of. The draft is where teams get their much-needed cheap labor. Trading away two top picks for the privilege of then having to pay a top-of-the-market contract is the total opposite of what this team should do.
Agreed. Simmons is good but isnt Adams.

If anything, see how the draft goes, and acquire him afterward with 2022 draft currency.

The important part is they need to cease to ignore the position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. Simmons is good but isnt Adams.

I wouldn't want to be in the Seahawks position when that bill comes due. Like the teams that made those deals in the past, they will be raked over the coals and forced to reset the top of the market at the position.

If anything, see how the draft goes, and acquire him afterward with 2022 draft currency.

The important part is they need to cease to ignore the position.

I completely agree about needing to address the position, but through the draft.

fivetwos

Reaction score
ESPN has the Cowboys bolstering its secondary by trading for Broncos safety Justin Simmons who’s a low-key star.

Two years ago, a struggling Cowboys team turned around its season by sending a first-round pick to the Raiders for Amari Cooper. The move was widely panned, but Dallas was right: The Cowboys were a much better team with Cooper on the field, they won the NFC East and they turned around what had been a struggling Dak Prescott.

Now, it's a flailing defense that needs to be fixed. The Cowboys haven't been interested in safety Earl
Thomas, but what they need is someone who can be stout against the run and solid in coverage. Trading for Simmons would be a bold move, especially given that they just lost Prescott for the season, but Dallas has enough to win the NFC East with Andy Daltonbehind center if it can get the secondary right. Team owner Jerry Jones and the front office also have shown an interest in trading for young stars they can sign to extensions, and Simmons would presumably be open to a significant extension on the sort of long-term deal the Cowboys favor.

Broncos fans would likely want to hold out for a Jamal Adams-sized package in return for their star safety, but that's just not realistic. Adams was two years away from free agency, while Simmons is already on his first franchise tag. The Broncos weren't able to come to terms on a contract extension before the season with the Boston College product, and with Simmons set to make $13.7 million on a second franchise tag against a $175 million cap next year, things aren't going to get any easier.

If Denver loses its next two games and falls out of the playoff race at 1-5, it will have to face facts. There's no sense in having Simmons play the second half of a lost season before letting him leave in free agency. Locking in a second-round pick gets the Broncos a better pick than a third-round compensatory selection, has that pick arrive a year early and allows general manager John Elway to spend in free agency without negating that would-be compensatory pick.
Honestly, look at the price tag Seattle forked over for Adams.

Does anyone really see them not wanting at least ONE first for this guy?

Theres a million reasons why a 2nd and 4th is the right price tag, maybe even high, but if Denver doesnt also think so, theres no deal.

Theres the factor of them getting hit hard w media and fans if they dont get anything close to what NYJ got. They just dont do it at that point.

That all said.....Simmons IMO is the type of player Dallas needs.

Drafting a safety is a lottery ticket, and you may have to wait for him to develop.

Then again you've gotta pay Simmons right away.

This is where using 6th rounders and guys on last legs to fill a position bites you.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be in the Seahawks position when that bill comes due. Like the teams that made those deals in the past, they will be raked over the coals and forced to reset the top of the market at the position.

I completely agree about needing to address the position, but through the draft.
In the end, yes....but before round six.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I would keep all of my draft picks for next season. With the decreased salary cap and the pending franchise tag for Dak, we need to keep the picks to fill out our roster. Plus Simmons wants to get paid and has Dak’s agent.
Couldn’t have said it better myself

Proof

Reaction score
Holy Larry, let's mess up our team trading for high salaried players again.

i'm not being sarcastic, or playing gotcha. which high salaried players did we trade for that messed up our team?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I would keep all of my draft picks for next season. With the decreased salary cap and the pending franchise tag for Dak, we need to keep the picks to fill out our roster. Plus Simmons wants to get paid and has Dak’s agent.
Daks agent?

You lost me right there.

Pass.

Hello ET..

what's your rate on a half season rental?

$6 mil?

I will be right over.

Put air in the tires and check it for tread wear?

Cash?

No prob.

the_h0wey

Reaction score

I just don't think this team is 1 player away from turning things around. They need to sit back and see what Dalton looks like in his first start. Unfortunately it's not unrealistic to think we may have a pretty high first round pick this next draft.