Would you still want Donald if Marinelli is gone next year?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
could be but them 300 is all muscle
USATSI_7668918.jpg
Even more reason to use him inside, IMO.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
And one of those guys isn't the defensive coordinator. He's there to coach the players. Brush up on job responsibilities in the NFL if you think an assistant coach should be deciding draft picks.

This would be the single worst outcome we could have. To heck with the talent evaluators. Hey, failed coach in Detroit who didn't know these players names in December and probably won't be here in two years, who should we take?

It's up to the coaching staff to communicate to the scouting department on what kinds of players they want. It's up to the scouts to find those players. It's up to Jerry and Stephen to make it official.

I'm going to assume you're just learning the game.
Assistants absolutely should have a big hand in who gets drafted. Especially when you have an inept HC and an even worse GM. Marinelli is the only one who I would trust to draft a player for his own dline.

He's a failed coach in Detroit? Who cares? Is he being asked to be the HC here? He still has the best resume as a coach we have in dallas. I care more about what he did in Chicago as a DC. Ya know, since that's what he's doing here. Funny how you mention Detroit but failed to mention his success with the bears. I like to deal in the WHOLE truth. Not cherry picking certain events to push your agenda.

Bottom line, Jerry and rod should collaborate to select a defensive player based on the board provided by the scouts. It's his defense, he should make the call if Dallas decides to go defense in the first. Just like JG and linehan should have input on offensive draft selctions. You don't draft a guy without getting input from the position coach. That's like turning to your DC and saying "hey the scout likes that DE so we picked him, hopefully you like him; its your *** on the line." That's foolish.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Assistants absolutely should have a big hand in who gets drafted. Especially when you have an inept HC and an even worse GM. Marinelli is the only one who I would trust to draft a player for his own dline.

He's a failed coach in Detroit? Who cares? Is he being asked to be the HC here? He still has the best resume as a coach we have in dallas. I care more about what he did in Chicago as a DC. Ya know, since that's what he's doing here. Funny how you mention Detroit but failed to mention his success with the bears. I like to deal in the WHOLE truth. Not cherry picking certain events to push your agenda.

Bottom line, Jerry and rod should collaborate to select a defensive player based on the board provided by the scouts. It's his defense, he should make the call if Dallas decides to go defense in the first. Just like JG and linehan should have input on offensive draft selctions. You don't draft a guy without getting input from the position coach. That's like turning to your DC and saying "hey the scout likes that DE so we picked him, hopefully you like him; its your *** on the line." That's foolish.

This is rich.

So Rod Marinelli is a great talent evaluator. Better than the scouts, apparently.

You do realize Saint Rod doesn't know one tenth about these prospects than the scouts do, right? You do realize the scouts get paid to evaluate talent. Rod Marinelli gets paid to coach it.

Show me a war room run with heavy assistant coach input and I'll show you a poorly run, dysfunctional war room. Marinelli's voice should have been heard in the months leading up to the draft. Communicating with the scouting department on what kinds of traits he's seeking in new players. His voice should be background noise when it's time to actually make the pick. It's the scouts board. They are, by far, the most informed voices in the room. Rod can stay busy coming up with nicknames for any potential new rushmen.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is rich.

So Rod Marinelli is a great talent evaluator. Better than the scouts, apparently.

You do realize Saint Rod doesn't know one tenth about these prospects than the scouts do, right? You do realize the scouts get paid to evaluate talent. Rod Marinelli gets paid to coach it.

Show me a war room run with heavy assistant coach input and I'll show you a poorly run, dysfunctional war room. Marinelli's voice should have been heard in the months leading up to the draft. Communicating with the scouting department on what kinds of traits he's seeking in new players. His voice should be background noise when it's time to actually make the pick. It's the scouts board. They are, by far, the most informed voices in the room. Rod can stay busy coming up with nicknames for any potential new rushmen.

The input from the coaches should come before the draft. McClay with some help from the scouting staff, should have spent plenty of time reviewing players with the coaches. It's up to McClay and the scouting dept. to take all of that input and integrate it into the draft board.

An assistant coach shouldn't suddenly be a big factor on draft day. His input should already have been taken into account. That did not happen last year. Based on interviews that I've seen, my guess is that Ciscowski doesn't not have the personality/ people-skills to get everybody together. It's similar to how many highly accomplished technical people are not good managers. Hopefully, McClay has those abilities.