Would you still want Donald if Marinelli is gone next year?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bears coach has come out and said they dont see a move to 3-4

I think he might have qualified that with "Immediately" but, the problem with the Bears last year were two fold. One, their LBs were very inexperienced and didn't really scrape well. Too often, they stayed blocked or got caught up in trash and didn't flow to the ball carrier. They seriously need to upgrade their DT position, which they have done, and cover up their LBs. If they don't, they are going to get ran on again this year. I think they need to go to more of a Two Gap DT body type that helps them with their LBs in the run game.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think he might have qualified that with "Immediately" but, the problem with the Bears last year were two fold. One, their LBs were very inexperienced and didn't really scrape well. Too often, they stayed blocked or got caught up in trash and didn't flow to the ball carrier. They seriously need to upgrade their DT position, which they have done, and cover up their LBs. If they don't, they are going to get ran on again this year. I think they need to go to more of a Two Gap DT body type that helps them with their LBs in the run game.

Could be. But the shored up their DE in Allen and Houston. They need DTs

Im starting to read more and more about Donald to Tampa. And that makes alot of sense with Lovie there

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Im starting to read more and more about Donald to Tampa. And that makes alot of sense with Lovie there

Perhaps, but they don't need 285 lbs 1 gap DTs. They need guys who can keep their LBs free to flow to the ball I think.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yes, but I'm basically a charter member of the Aaron Donald fan club, so I'm not a good person to be asking.

Woods

Reaction score
Yes, I draft Donald. If he's not there, I look at Easley in Round 2. Maybeeeee Sutton in Round 3. But if we can't get our 3-tech early, I don't want to draft a lesser quality DT and try to plug him in a round hole.

I think it's going to take 2 Drafts, and probably a player or two in FA in 2015 on Defense, to get this defense where we need it to be.

If we can't get the 3-tech this year to rotate with Melton, let's work on WDE, Safety, LB and better depth at the 1-tech.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Perhaps, but they don't need 285 lbs 1 gap DTs. They need guys who can keep their LBs free to flow to the ball I think.
The defense they and the Cowboys run does not emphasis Size. It emphasizes speed. Gerad McCoy is 300lbs. Teaming him up with Donald would put the middle of the def in great shape. MCcoy is probably the most complete Dt in football. i think Tampa either goes with Manziel or Donald.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The defense they and the Cowboys run does not emphasis Size. It emphasizes speed. Gerad McCoy is 300lbs. Teaming him up with Donald would put the middle of the def in great shape. MCcoy is probably the most complete Dt in football. i think Tampa either goes with Manziel or Donald.

They don't run that Defensive Scheme anymore. Chicago does not run what they ran when Marinelli was there.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
They don't run that Defensive Scheme anymore. Chicago does not run what they ran when Marinelli was there.

I understand CHI has changed a little. But in the last post i was emphasizing more on Tampa.

ccb04

Reaction score

I don't know if the Bucs go Donald at #7, as they already have Gerald McCoy & also signed Clinton McDonald who might be able to play the 1 or 3 in their scheme. They also signed DE Michael Johnson. They could go with a WR like Mike Evans to replace 31 y/o Vincent Jackson in the not too distant future...and to add to a lacking WR corps.

Some have wondered if the Cowboys should/would take Donald after signing Melton. Difference is that Melton is coming off of an ACL injury & is signed to essentially a 1-year deal with a team option to extend.

Donald is still one of my favorite defensive players. Given the pass happy nature of the NFL...a guy that can shoot interior gaps in a hurry & disrupt the pocket, is an asset. He also has the athleticism to track backs & mobile QB's. That said, I also like a guy like Barr for his edge rush potential & possible scheme versatility. Given Jerry's nature, they could wind up in the 3-4 again somewhere down the road. Never know with that guy. :D

dbonham

Reaction score
Donald is a 3 down player in any scheme. If we switched to a 3-4 I'd split him between DE and OLB like Quinton Coples

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Don't count me among those who think the only good option is to let your defensive coordinator determine draft picks.

Marinelli knows what he wants out of his dlineman. That's his expertise. Did you see the defense Dallas trotted out there last year?

Why would you not let your DC have input on defensive draft picks?

Guess you're satisfied with Jerry making the calls on draft day.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli knows what he wants out of his dlineman. That's his expertise. Did you see the defense Dallas trotted out there last year?

Why would you not let your DC have input on defensive draft picks?

Guess you're satisfied with Jerry making the calls on draft day.

No. I'm satisfied with scouts finding the talent, not a defensive coordinator. He can communicate to the scouts what kinds of players he wants.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Donald is a 3 down player in any scheme. If we switched to a 3-4 I'd split him between DE and OLB like Quinton Coples

That is laughable. Donald would be a trainwreck as an OLB in a 3-4. Not much better as a DE in that scheme.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
No. I'm satisfied with scouts finding the talent, not a defensive coordinator. He can communicate to the scouts what kinds of players he wants.
Scouts don't draft players. They provide information to the guys that do.
Scouts just put together the draft board and try to find late round steals. It's up to the higher ups to make the final call, especially in the first round.
Marinelli knows what he wants better than any scout Dallas has. Marinelli should have his pick at 18.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scouts don't draft players. They provide information to the guys that do.

And one of those guys isn't the defensive coordinator. He's there to coach the players. Brush up on job responsibilities in the NFL if you think an assistant coach should be deciding draft picks.

Scouts just put together the draft board and try to find late round steals. It's up to the higher ups to make the final call, especially in the first round.
Marinelli knows what he wants better than any scout Dallas has. Marinelli should have his pick at 18.

This would be the single worst outcome we could have. To heck with the talent evaluators. Hey, failed coach in Detroit who didn't know these players names in December and probably won't be here in two years, who should we take?

It's up to the coaching staff to communicate to the scouting department on what kinds of players they want. It's up to the scouts to find those players. It's up to Jerry and Stephen to make it official.

I'm going to assume you're just learning the game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Houston might get significant time at DT, especially in the nickel. He is 6-3, 300.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And one of those guys isn't the defensive coordinator. He's there to coach the players. Brush up on job responsibilities in the NFL if you think an assistant coach should be deciding draft picks.

This would be the single worst outcome we could have. To heck with the talent evaluators. Hey, failed coach in Detroit who didn't know these players names in December and probably won't be here in two years, who should we take?

It's up to the coaching staff to communicate to the scouting department on what kinds of players they want. It's up to the scouts to find those players. It's up to Jerry and Stephen to make it official.

I'm going to assume you're just learning the game.
McClay should be spending a lot of time reviewing the players with the coaching staff. That didn't happen last year with Ciscowski and the coaching staff.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Houston might get significant time at DT, especially in the nickel. He is 6-3, 300.

could be but them 300 is all muscle
USATSI_7668918.jpg