Would you still want Donald if Marinelli is gone next year?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
If the Cowboys go 8-8 or worse and Garrett and the coaching staff are fired would you still want Donald this year? He has a high motor and seems to be a great fit for Marinelli's defense. Would Donald be good for other versions of the 4-3? He does not appear to be a great fit for the 3-4.

Proximo

Reaction score
You could apply the same thought process to most 1st round picks. I mean if we end up being so bad in 2014 that there's a house cleaning on the coaching staff, then there's no telling what the new staff is going to think of the previous year's draft pick(s) anyway. That's why I think it's impossible to operate under that thought process as a GM. You have to build a team for the staff that's there, since you should see and believe in their vision. Otherwise they're destined for failure anyways.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Drafting guys specific to certain schemes has been a problem for Dallas in recent years with the revolving door that is DC for the cowboys.

But in this situation the only good option is to take whoever marinelli wants and trust that whoever the player is will be a good player for years to come.

To answer the question, BPA on defense; whether that's Donald or anyone else.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Agree with Proximo, we could ask the same question for any draft prospect. Donald pretty much would fit any 4-3, as in Today's NFL i'm not sure there is a huge difference between 4 man front schemes, especially the DTs. Nearly every 4-3 team uses a 3tech who mostly shoots the gap.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
You could apply the same thought process to most 1st round picks. I mean if we end up being so bad in 2014 that there's a house cleaning on the coaching staff, then there's no telling what the new staff is going to think of the previous year's draft pick(s) anyway. That's why I think it's impossible to operate under that thought process as a GM. You have to build a team for the staff that's there, since you should see and believe in their vision. Otherwise they're destined for failure anyways.
How many coaches has JJ added to "help" JG see his vision come to fruition:confused: I'm just messing, that would be the ideal but we got a JV coach. Drafting has improved admittedly, not bc of any major "culture" change in draft logic, we made the correct choices instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Kudos to whoever had Frederick pegged though. Was so wrong about that pick. Still got jobbed on the trade down where NE got more for less in the same span. Love the players enough to not care about the how (Fred/TW).

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Yes.. would still want Donald. I feel it is going to be a long shot to get him though.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I want the best player available... Only positions off the board Rounds 1-4 are Center, RB and TE.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Agree with Proximo, we could ask the same question for any draft prospect. Donald pretty much would fit any 4-3, as in Today's NFL i'm not sure there is a huge difference between 4 man front schemes, especially the DTs. Nearly every 4-3 team uses a 3tech who mostly shoots the gap.

I don't agree with this. Donald, pretty much only fits a one gap 43 scheme. Lots of teams use two gap systems and also use the DTs to cover up the LBs, especially in a 43. He definitely doesn't fit all 43 schemes IMO.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
If we're still planning to go with the 4-3 next year (Marinelli or not), then absolutely.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't agree with this. Donald, pretty much only fits a one gap 43 scheme. Lots of teams use two gap systems and also use the DTs to cover up the LBs, especially in a 43. He definitely doesn't fit all 43 schemes IMO.

Eh maybe you're right, I don't keep up with every teams defense. That said though I would be shocked if more than a 4th of 4-3 teams used the 2 gap read and react system. Most teams play pass first anymore. I could be wrong though, its happened many times lol.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Eh maybe you're right, I don't keep up with every teams defense. That said though I would be shocked if more than a 4th of 4-3 teams used the 2 gap read and react system. Most teams play pass first anymore. I could be wrong though, its happened many times lol.

I think the better question might be, if Marnelli were not here, would you draft Donald in the 1st round if you were the Cowboys? He's a very good football player and I think he could help any team but he probably wouldn't last long if you played him in a more traditional DT position. That basically means that he's probably more limited and as such, would not be a consideration for me, as a 1st round pick. That's just my opinion thou.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

Definitely one of the reasons I was wondering if he would still be a good fit if Marinelli were to leave.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.

It's why I don't want him now. He's a scheme specific player and the scheme he's attached to I hate.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drafting guys specific to certain schemes has been a problem for Dallas in recent years with the revolving door that is DC for the cowboys.

But in this situation the only good option is to take whoever marinelli wants and trust that whoever the player is will be a good player for years to come.

To answer the question, BPA on defense; whether that's Donald or anyone else.

Don't count me among those who think the only good option is to let your defensive coordinator determine draft picks.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Donald fixation is short sighted. It's the draft for need crowd. They want it and want it now.

The problem is the Cowboys will be in another scheme in a few years max and they'll have to find a spot for a player who doesn't fit. Or let the guy walk and chalk up another 1 contract 1st rounder.

We need versatile defenders. Guys who give this team options down the road.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he is sitting there at 16 he would be the best DT and we could use a DT. Chances are if he is sitting there at 16 he might be the best defensive player available. If he is not he is not.

I don't want a team drafting in fear of what might happen with the coaches and possible scheme changes and therefore drafting lesser players due to fear.