Would you tag and trade DLaw for two 1st round picks?

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
No.

He is the best player on this team. Who knows how long it would be before they're able to replace him.

I disagree. I don’t think he’s the best player on the team and I think the deal would be a no-brainer. Maybe Lawrence is worth 2x 1st round picks in a vacuum, but not while being paid 20+ million a year. There’s a lot of risk giving a guy that kind of money. Most teams end up regretting big, non-QB deals.

We could sign ET with that money. Give me ET on a 3 year deal and 2x 1st round picks over Lawrence on a 5 year deal. Every time.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
The most overvalued maybe, every year rbs get replaced as if they didn't exist, he wasn't anything to special this year I'm sorry.

His position has nothing to do with his talent level. And to say he wasn’t special this year is crazy to me. Considering the volume, 2018 was a special season for Zeke.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I disagree. I don’t think he’s the best player on the team and I think the deal would be a no-brainer. Maybe Lawrence is worth 2x 1st round picks in a vacuum, but not while being paid 20+ million a year. There’s a lot of risk giving a guy that kind of money. Most teams end up regretting big, non-QB deals.

We could sign ET with that money. Give me ET on a 3 year deal and 2x 1st round picks over Lawrence on a 5 year deal. Every time.
I can understand the logic

But you're going to use those picks hoping to get a player of Lawrence's caliber. It's the same as what the Raiders just did...trade Mack and now draft a DE in the first round. If the Cowboys were in a rebuild, I'd be fine with that, but this is a playoff team that's trying to win right now. Losing Lawrence would be a major setback.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I can understand the logic

But you're going to use those picks hoping to get a player of Lawrence's caliber. It's the same as what the Raiders just did...trade Mack and now draft a DE in the first round. If the Cowboys were in a rebuild, I'd be fine with that, but this is a playoff team that's trying to win right now. Losing Lawrence would be a major setback.

I understand your logic as well. No doubt that Lawrence would be a major loss. I’ll even grant that (freaking) Earl Thomas couldn’t offset that loss; even if he gets back to his pre-injury form.I just think you make the deal despite that. The value is too much for me to pass up.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I understand your logic as well. No doubt that Lawrence would be a major loss. I’ll even grant that (freaking) Earl Thomas couldn’t offset that loss; even if he gets back to his pre-injury form.I just think you make the deal despite that. The value is too much for me to pass up.
Earl Thomas is a complimentary piece to a pass rush, he wouldn't be a replacement for DLaw.

Really, you want ET and DLaw. There's not much sense in having one without the other.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is a complimentary piece to a pass rush, he wouldn't be a replacement for DLaw.

Really, you want ET and DLaw. There's not much sense in having one without the other.

Unfortunately, we won’t have both. That money will go towards keeping our own guys.

Would you rather have ET and two 1sts or Lawrence?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we won’t have both. That money will go towards keeping our own guys.

Would you rather have ET and two 1sts or Lawrence?
We could sign Lawrence and ET - might take a little bit of cap gymnastics, but it's not impossible. I absolutely would lol.

That's tough to answer, because I think you can sign both and don't see a scenario where it makes sense to have ET but not DLaw. But I think, on this team right now, I'd keep Lawrence. It's just very difficult to find players who are as disruptive as he is. He's getting slept on because his sack total wasn't great this year, but I'm not sure there are more than 5 DEs better than DLaw.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The Boys only real leverage here is to use the franchise tag yet once again, but that is both expensive (it would be about $20.6 million for a second consecutive tag) and would risk alienating Dlaw, who took the first year with good grace.

But there is always a risk he could go all Le’Veon Bell and hold out. Jerry can go big to get a deal done before Dlaw hits the market, or he can risk someone making him an offer and starting a bidding war.

Let's hope he's a happy camper in that locker room and doesn't walk.

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
You do not do it at a position that takes time to develop. IF it was Zeke sure, RBs can step in day one and contribute. I would not do it with WR, QB, DE because the guy you draft to replace him would take 2-3 years to develop and you HOPE he is at that level.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Yes, all day, every day and twice on Sundays.

The Cowboys would get the two 1st round picks AND the cap space they would have used on DLaw.

Tell me how those picks are going to work out for the Raiders for Mack ?

The only time it would be worth it, is if the picks would be guaranteed to be in the top 10 for 2 years, otherwise, you end up like the Raiders giving up an elite rusher for picks in the mid 20's.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell me how those picks are going to work out for the Raiders for Mack ?

The only time it would be worth it, is if the picks would be guaranteed to be in the top 10 for 2 years, otherwise, you end up like the Raiders giving up an elite rusher for picks in the mid 20's.

The Raiders can still sign a mega-contract free agent AND they get the picks.

Choose 1 in this hypothetical where Calais is a 2018 free agent instead of 2017 free agent:

Option A:
Calais Campbell (4 years, 60M, 15M per)
1st in 2019
1st in 2020

Option B:
Khalil Mack (6 years, 141M, 23.5M per)

Even if you add 20% for Campbell to compare for 2018 instead of when he was actually a free agent (2017), it is still a huge amount of resources to upgrade from Campbell to Mack.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
The Raiders can still sign a mega-contract free agent AND they get the picks.

Choose 1 in this hypothetical where Calais is a 2018 free agent instead of 2017 free agent:

Option A:
Calais Campbell (4 years, 60M, 15M per)
1st in 2019
1st in 2020

Option B:
Khalil Mack (6 years, 141M, 23.5M per)

Even if you add 20% for Campbell to compare for 2018 instead of when he was actually a free agent (2017), it is still a huge amount of resources to upgrade from Campbell to Mack.

You take Mack, Campbell will be 33 by the time the 2019 season starts, Mack will be 28, and has more years left in him.

Those picks that you think are worth much will be at 24 in 19, and say 23 in 2020, they sign a DT who maybe produces 1-2 more years, and they hope they hit on the draft.

Meanwhile Mack produces year on year for the next 5-7 years (which will put him at the same age as Campbell)

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
The list of DL taken with picks from 20-32 since 2013

2018 Tavern Bryan
2017 Charles Harris, Takk McKinley, Taco
2016 Kenny Clarke, Rob Nkemdiche, Vernon Butler
2015 Shane Rey, Mal Brown
2014 Dee Ford, Dom Easely
2013 Floyd Shariff, Datone Jones, Sylvester Williams.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You take Mack, Campbell will be 33 by the time the 2019 season starts, Mack will be 28, and has more years left in him.

Those picks that you think are worth much will be at 24 in 19, and say 23 in 2020, they sign a DT who maybe produces 1-2 more years, and they hope they hit on the draft.

Meanwhile Mack produces year on year for the next 5-7 years (which will put him at the same age as Campbell)

Campbell is a DE.

Campbell was 30 when signed. Since then:

If Campbell is gone after 3 years, they still the 23.5M per that they are not paying Mack to sign another free agent.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Campbell is a DE.

Campbell was 30 when signed. Since then:

If Campbell is gone after 3 years, they still the 23.5M per that they are not paying Mack to sign another free agent.

WAS, is now 32, again you overlook the fact that the picks you acquired not netting you much in the draft, you take the younger option.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WAS, is now 32, again you overlook the fact that the picks you acquired not netting you much in the draft, you take the younger option.

It was a hypothetical scenario based on when Jax signed Campbell as a free agent. He was 30 then.

Neither Mack or Campbell are free agents this year to compare with DLaw and even if they were, we would not know the contract details yet; therefore, I used the hypothetical example.

How are 1st round picks "not netting you much in the draft" ?

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
It was a hypothetical scenario based on when Jax signed Campbell as a free agent. He was 30 then.

Neither Mack or Campbell are free agents this year to compare with DLaw and even if they were, we would not know the contract details yet; therefore, I used the hypothetical example.

How are 1st round picks "not netting you much in the draft" ?

I used Mack as an e.g. of the Raiders giving up an elite edge rusher for 2-1sts, and the Bears 2019 pick is is at 24, and its more than likely the 2020 pick will also be there or thereabouts. 2 1sts round picks for Mack is only worth it, if they are top 5-10 where you can land a blue chipper, but as they are not.