Would you tag and trade DLaw for two 1st round picks?

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
Any day of the year. If someone offered 2 first we better offer a 5th back to get it done lololol

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If Dallas let Tank hit the market he would likely break the record amounts in the contracts of Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack, because guys of this caliber don’t ever see bidding wars.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
So I'm not necessarily advocating throwing so many resources at one time at one position group, but just consider the below and tell me if you still think the costs outweighs the benefits of trading DLaw for 2 1sts.

1) Trade DLaw for 2019 and 2020 1st round picks
2) Sign a quality guy that is cheaper than DLaw will be, like maybe Frank Clark, Trey Flowers, Grady Jarrett.
3) Draft DL with the 1st and 2nd round pick in 2019
4) Draft DL with both 1sts in 2020

Time required
13 months

Benefits
Defensive line receives one productive veteran, 3 first round picks, 1 second round pick in just one season. Only one person is not on a rookie deal, and that person has a cheaper deal than DLaw.

Costs
You lose DLaw, a 2nd round pick in case anyone forgot.

I'd make the trade for a 1st and a 2nd.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
So I'm not necessarily advocating throwing so many resources at one time at one position group, but just consider the below and tell me if you still think the costs outweighs the benefits of trading DLaw for 2 1sts.

1) Trade DLaw for 2019 and 2020 1st round picks
2) Sign a quality guy that is cheaper than DLaw will be, like maybe Frank Clark, Trey Flowers, Grady Jarrett.
3) Draft DL with the 1st and 2nd round pick in 2019
4) Draft DL with both 1sts in 2020

Time required
13 months

Benefits
Defensive line receives one productive veteran, 3 first round picks, 1 second round pick in just one season. Only one person is not on a rookie deal, and that person has a cheaper deal than DLaw.

Costs
You lose DLaw, a 2nd round pick in case anyone forgot.

I'd make the trade for a 1st and a 2nd.

Just googling a handful of the top DL free agents, places like over the cap, spotrac, and PFF are projecting Jarrett, Clark, and Flowers around 16-17.5M/YR, Clark being the most expensive.

Who knows how those projections compare to reality in the coming months but the same people often put DLaw around 20-22M/YR. That's a savings of 3 - 6M and you're still getting a guy that you can build around for a few years.

I used to be all in on resigning DLaw but now that the market for 2019 is shaping up, I'm much more hesitant. If a lucrative trade offer comes along to sweeten the deal, forget about it, goodbye DLaw.