Would you take a 1 for Dak and a 4

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. I'd rather get draft picks than let him walk and get nothing. The smart teams know well in advance and have a plan........but nobody confuses Dallas with one those teams.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It surely seems likely that Jerry will be obliged to cater to Dak's demands for more than he's comfortable with. Unfortunately, he made the mistake of failing to make generous offers in the past and it's coming back to haunt him in the here and now. Whether Jerry elects to stand by him in future negotiations seems somewhat doubtful, although it's hard to predict what Jerry might be inclined to do. I wouldn't be surprised if some team antes up with a 1st round pick and a 4th rounder also, in the future. Maybe some team finding a way to get the best out of him could work out for the best.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It surely seems likely that Jerry will be obliged to cater to Dak's demands for more than he's comfortable with. Unfortunately, he mad the mistake of failing to make generous offers in the past and it's coming back to haunt him in the here and now. Whether he elects to stand by him in future negotiations seems somewhat doubtful, although it's tough to predict what Jerry might be inclined to do. I wouldn't be surprised if some team antes up with a 1st round pick and a 4th rounder also, in the future. Maybe a team finding a way to get the best out of him would work out better.
Dak’s only “demand” is to become a free agent. The rest of the league, like every NFL fan, is aware of the situation Jerry is in with Dak’s contract. There will be no trade involving Dak Prescott.

Adreme

Reaction score
If Dak had a burning desire to remain with the Cowboys he would have agreed to a deal by now. He’s already made the decision. He’s decided no extension.
If Christ Jones had a desire to be with the Chiefs he would have had an extension by this point last year... oh wait. If Bosa had a desire to be with the 49ers he would have an extension by this point last year... oh wait. Teams and agents negotiate and they take time.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak’s only “demand” is to become a free agent. The rest of the league, like every NFL fan, is aware of the situation Jerry is in with Dak’s contract. There will be no trade involving Dak Prescott.
You must be aware of something going on in the background that I'm not. Dak isn't demanding to be free that I know of, although, he's let it be known that he's not averse to being sent packing if that's in Jerry's wish list. Whether that occurs or not is doubtful, imho. Jerry and Stephen will most likely relent in due time to make Dak far richer than he is now. This FO will do all they can to keep their "bird's nest on the ground" fully intact in 2024.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
No matter how talented the team the pick may be a first round in the 30’s would you take a teams one for Dak and you have to throw in a fourth rounder . So Dallas gets a one and the other team gets Dak and Dallas 4th round .
As presently built not sure this current model will ever win a SB.

As a franchise you go into 2024 with probably a Rush / Lance duo and with the record possibly worst then lately you have two # 1 picks in 25 to jump start a revival with an eye towards drafting a new QB .
Yes good idea, but jerrys mind doesnt work like that, and dak would have to approve any trade.

Also teams would not give a 1 for dak, it would be stupid to do that.wait till he hits FA.
To give up a 1 and pay dak 60 mil + is going to make it so only a couple of teams would want him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You must be aware of something going on in the background that I'm not. Dak isn't demanding to be free that I know of, although, he's let it be known that he's not averse to being sent packing if that's in Jerry's wish list. Whether that occurs or not is doubtful, imho. Jerry and Stephen will most likely relent in due time to make Dak far richer than he is now. This FO will do all they can to keep their "bird's nest on the ground" fully intact in 2024.
yes jerry is a caveman, and he will cave, but at a time of his choosing, for max media results.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
When he and his agent demanded and received a no trade clause in his current deal that certainly indicated Dak desired to be a free agent if his salary demands were not met in a subsequent contract. Obviously those demands have not been met. He’s less than 30 weeks away from free agency. If Jerry is making suggestions on a deal to Dak that are below whatever Dak has indicated he wants, he’s gone. Unlike CeeDee, Dak can and will walk away. CeeDee and his agent have to ”negotiate“. Dak and his agent, don’t. Everyone knows it.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I never understood this argument. A team would trade for him in order to guarantee they get him instead of entering a bidding war. This is with the assumption He signs a new contract as part of the trade
You just posted the/my Initial thesis. I tried to give some arguments further down in my post.

Yes your point is a good one. But i do think bidding wars are more of a myth or are way too overrated.

Of course when you have more buyers with a great need the price will go up. But the prices for a player are never openly handled. As a gm you never really know who is also interessed. You will have you information from the players side, that they have other teams who are interessted. That is a big factor.
So there is essentially no "open" market. Its more about gambling and who is the best liar (Poker player).

Then still salaries are bound to the cap. Teams will not overspent.

The myth of hitting the open market Is also used (thats especially the case with us) when players negotiate their new contrant at the end of their old one. We usually overpay for those players also because of that. So a player does not need to hit open market to use such effects.

Also in Prescotts case i already wrote the guy is not interessted in a long term contract. Would you give up a lot for guy who is willing to give you security for only 2 or 3 years?

Then also in Prescotts case: the guy wants to get the most money possible. So the difference between trading for him and then giving him a new Contract or getting him through the open market may be very marginal. Would you give up a first rounder to secure the right to negotiate a new Contract that could be in the end only 2-3 mils less then the one via open market? I would not.

Last edited:

J-man

Reaction score
Some of you guys need to wake up to the reality of Dak Prescott. You may not like him, you may think he can't win the big games, you may think he chokes in the spot light. But the vast majority of NFL players, coaches and executives do not agree with your assessment. In their eyes, he's the 16th best player in all of football and is considered a top 5 QB in this league.

How many top 5 NFL QB's get traded? How many get traded for anything less than multiple 1?
I am not a huge Dak lover, I do see some flaws to his game at times. But about 95% of the time I also see a very good QB who can win a lot games, be the face of the franchise and make $ for the team and the NFL. If you don't think that matters and has tremendous value to owners in todays NFL, than you're just wrong.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
When he and his agent demanded and received a no trade clause in his current deal that certainly indicated Dak desired to be a free agent if his salary demands were not met in a subsequent contract. Obviously those demands have not been met. He’s less than 30 weeks away from free agency. If Jerry is making suggestions on a deal to Dak that are below whatever Dak has indicated he wants, he’s gone. Unlike CeeDee, Dak can and will walk away. CeeDee and his agent have to ”negotiate“. Dak and his agent, don’t. Everyone knows it.
Everyone also knows that Jerry and Stephen really don't want to allow Dak to look elsewhere for his glory this year. Jerry is stubbornly trying to avoid what he knows would be a humiliating end to the FO's attempt to escape from a situation that he, himself created with his clumsy handling of the inept negotiations with everyone he deals with. Dak and his agent have long been known to be in control of the situation that the Dallas FO finds itself in. Jerry, in all of his stubbornness, routinely caves in to the inevitable and awards the fortunes that he eventually presents. It's all too predictable.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You don’t like a thread don’t answer . Simple , your so long winded no one reads your posts anyway they skim it like algae and move on .
Too bad I will answer because you don't like my response it gives me some satisfaction that you're answering and reading my responses but I think it's a ridiculously unnecessary post because he has a no trade clause and no franchise tag clause he has all the leverage and the trades not happening I can't say this enough you're way late if it was gonna happen it would have happened around March it's not happening now and we have no control over him at all the team cannot do anything with him and they're going into 2024 knowing he's the quarterback after that we don't know and he won't be traded he'll decide whether he wants to come back here that's why it's ridiculous I call it different words but I'd get benched..

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Everyone also knows that Jerry and Stephen really don't want to allow Dak to look elsewhere for his glory this year. Jerry is stubbornly trying to avoid what he knows would be a humiliating end to the FO's attempt to escape from a situation that he, himself created with his clumsy handling of the inept negotiations with everyone he deals with. Dak and his agent have long been known to be in control of the situation that the Dallas FO finds itself in. Jerry, in all of his stubbornness, routinely caves in to the inevitable and awards the fortunes that he eventually presents. It's all too predictable.
I think Jerry Jones has got himself too far out on the plank on the Dak Situation. He’s going to be just as humiliated if he caves and pays Dak north of $55 million. He may as well direct player compensation elsewhere.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Jerry Jones has got himself too far out on the plank on the Dak Situation. He’s going to be just as humiliated if he caves and pays Dak north of $55 million. He may as well direct player compensation elsewhere.
It promises to be interesting as to what becomes of that situation. I'm somewhat unsure if Jerry cares what people think of him, since he's made a jackass of himself so many times without really blinking, nor showing any real measure of embarrassment. His ego oftentimes makes it seem as if there's an invisible barrier that prevents him from the embarrassment that most folks find unbearable. We'll soon learn how this thing ends up.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Too bad I will answer because you don't like my response it gives me some satisfaction that you're answering and reading my responses but I think it's a ridiculously unnecessary post because he has a no trade clause and no franchise tag clause he has all the leverage and the trades not happening I can't say this enough you're way late if it was gonna happen it would have happened around March it's not happening now and we have no control over him at all the team cannot do anything with him and they're going into 2024 knowing he's the quarterback after that we don't know and he won't be traded he'll decide whether he wants to come back here that's why it's ridiculous I call it different words but I'd get benched..

Didn’t read one word . Good bye

RonWashington

Reaction score
Yes good idea, but jerrys mind doesnt work like that, and dak would have to approve any trade.

Also teams would not give a 1 for dak, it would be stupid to do that.wait till he hits FA.
To give up a 1 and pay dak 60 mil + is going to make it so only a couple of teams would want him.

The team trading for him would have to get a negotiated agreement on multi yrs in order to trade a one