Would you trade Dak for two 1st round picks?

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Easy enough....if someone called and offered you two 1st round picks for Dak are you taking it?

Personally I would take a 2nd and be money ahead..

And yes I know we can’t trade him because he’s not signed yet....
No! But if I was the Cowboys and I didn’t have a franchise QB and somebody offered me Dak freaking Prescott for 2 first rounders, I’d trade for him in a heartbeat!!
:flagwave:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course, but no NFL team would offer that for him.
We don't know but could have found out last season with the non-exclusive tag.

One thing I learned from the Stafford deal, there are a lot of posters here that are clueless about the value of a player to a team. "No team is going up a 1st for Stafford". Well, they were wrong.

We form opinions without the advantage of being inside the heads of the people making these assessments and decisions. We are not privy to the owner/GM/HC dynamic and I think it's different on every team. I think the Rams give their HC a lot more room.

kskboys

Reaction score
If Bears offered 2 first round picks, a 2nd round pick and Trubisky for Dak only......... yes I would take that trade, sign Trubisky to long term deal and draft defense with all the extra picks, possibly OL sprinkled in.
Why would you sign a backup QB to a long term deal?

JJHLH1

Reaction score
No.

The NFL is all about the QB, and there are only a handful in the league that are better than Dak.

We saw how the offense dropped off a cliff when he went down last year. We went from #1 by a large margin with Dak for the first 5 games and ended up #13 at the end of the year. Huge drop-off.

kskboys

Reaction score
The minimum the Texans are accepting for Watson is two number 1s, two 2s, and two defensive starters. That would be the more realistic ballpark for Prescott as his contract will be a little north of Deshaun’s whenever his deal gets done
Problem is, there are very few teams who are willing to offer that much. If this is the plan, DALL would need to jump in and get it out there that he's available.

kskboys

Reaction score
No.

The NFL is all about the QB, and there are only a handful in the league that are better than Dak.

We saw how the offense dropped off a cliff when he went down last year. We went from #1 by a large margin with Dak for the first 5 games and ended up #13 at the end of the year. Huge drop-off.
Sure, but to come to this conclusion, you'd have to talk to DAK and see what's in his head first and if a deal can be reached.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Problem is, there are very few teams who are willing to offer that much. If this is the plan, DALL would need to jump in and get it out there that he's available.

Dallas is not going to do this because Dak is not available. This thread asked if we the fans would accept two 1s for Dak.

No way. Not with the crazy trades going down right now. Dak is worth more than that— and even if I didn’t believe he was— I would damn sure oversell his value to get the most I could for him

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Not sure what good it would do if we're rolling out Garrett Gilbert.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Easy enough....if someone called and offered you two 1st round picks for Dak are you taking it?

I would trade him for a 3rd rounder just for cap reasons alone!

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Of course you would. I would fly to Dallas and drive him to the airport. We would save 40 million a year. We would not be forced to overpay. This is a simple Calculus.
We get picks and not have to pay him some ridiculous amount of money for an average QB...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes and they could be 31st the next 2 years and it's still better than overpaying any player.

starfan1

Reaction score
High picks yes I would have traded Romo for that also.

I support Dak . It wouldn’t be because I don’t think we can win with him I do.

I’m just not sure that we can build the kind of team to beat the chiefs of the world with him and zeke paid at the top of their position

so 2 first Id pull the trigger but it would need to be a high enough pick where Trevor was an option or another high rated qb and a stellar defensive player was an option for us

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
So you’d trade a proven player for the 3rd or 4th best prospect

There's risk in any NFL move, including keeping your starting QB. We don't know if Dak will come back like before from his injury. We don't know that he'll sign for a low enough amount to be able to afford to build up a defense. In short, there's risk in keeping Dak. And there's risk in getting rid of him. IMO for two first rounders, the calculated risk of moving on is a better bet than hanging onto Dak. But I don't know for 100 percent certain. No one does.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has to agree to the trade or he is not signing.

Nobody would trade for him without agreeing to a long term deal.

As far as I can tell, Jerry is the only GM dumb enough to give up draft capitol in a trade prior to a long term deal being worked out.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Of course not. No team would.