Would you trade Jaylon Smith for Noah Spence right now?

Reaction score
LB Jaylon Smith, as we all know, is being red shirted in 2016. Although speculation is all over the place, there is no guarantee he will ever play football again. Spence, on the other hand, is second among rookie linemen with 5.5 sacks. Half a sack is still a sack, so let's give him 6 on the year. 2 of those sacks have been strip sacks that his team recovered. If he was a Cowboy, he would be two full sacks ahead of team leader Tyrone Crawford, & tied for the lead with David Irving for FFs with 3, but one ahead in strips from sacks.

Hindsight is 20/20, & I know that Spence had drug problems while at Ohio State, & had one other incident while at Eastern Kentucky. Since then, he's been clean, & all of his coaches & teammates at both schools raved about him as a person. I know Smith is/was an excellent athlete, but we sure could use a pass rushing presence like Spence on the roster right about now.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Good question.

Yeah, Spence really turned his life around, in fact in college after his suspension he went on to be an honor student in the classroom.

It's always that conundrum - do like what you know or are you enamored with what could be?

I would trade Smith for Aaron Donald today. I would have to think about Spence.

VACowboy

Reaction score
LB Jaylon Smith, as we all know, is being red shirted in 2016. Although speculation is all over the place, there is no guarantee he will ever play football again. Spence, on the other hand, is second among rookie linemen with 5.5 sacks. Half a sack is still a sack, so let's give him 6 on the year. 2 of those sacks have been strip sacks that his team recovered. If he was a Cowboy, he would be two full sacks ahead of team leader Tyrone Crawford, & tied for the lead with David Irving for FFs with 3, but one ahead in strips from sacks.

Hindsight is 20/20, & I know that Spence had drug problems while at Ohio State, & had one other incident while at Eastern Kentucky. Since then, he's been clean, & all of his coaches & teammates at both schools raved about him as a person. I know Smith is/was an excellent athlete, but we sure could use a pass rushing presence like Spence on the roster right about now.

Long term, I'll take what Smith was and may be over what Spence is, but if Licht called Jerry and offered Spence for Smith today, I don't see how Jerry could say no. An edge rusher puts us really close to the tipping point.

VACowboy

Reaction score
But would he stay clean here? I have more faith in Jaylon getting healthy and playing next season than i do Noah staying clean, he's said himself that it's a battle every day.

Do you trust him for seven games this year? I think I do.

Proof

Reaction score
Wasn't it ecstasy ? Yeah I'm ok with that.

But rather than hypothesize between him and jaylon, I wish they'd have taken him and jaylon

kevm3

Reaction score
Looking at Randy Gregory and Rolondo McClain, it's no surprise they skipped over Noah Spence. For now, I'll stick with Jaylon.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Good question.

Yeah, Spence really turned his life around, in fact in college after his suspension he went on to be an honor student in the classroom.

It's always that conundrum - do like what you know or are you enamored with what could be?

I would trade two Jaylon Smith's for Aron Donald.

JBS

Reaction score
Good question.

Would you trade Gregory for Mack too?

T-RO

Reaction score
It's probably good for Noah that the cowboys didn't trade for him.

There is something about the bright lights and glitz of playing in Dallas that seems to torpedo a lot of guys with drug addiction.

I look forward to hopefully seeing Jaylon beast for us boys.

superonyx

Reaction score
Spence has 5.5 sacks on the season.
I'm not getting all that excited over a recovering drug addict with 5.5 sacks.

Wood

Reaction score

yes and it wouldn't take me more than few seconds to think about it. There is real risk that Smith never plays in NFL. Spencer is on field making plays. That would make it a lopsided trade for Dallas.

Mookie

Reaction score
Jaylon is potentially the best linebacker of the next decade. I'll stick to him thanks.

plasticman

Reaction score
Everything is working in the Cowboys favor when it comes to the 2016 draft.

Two of their picks are competing for league MVP, much less rookie of the year. Another is becoming a dominant DT in one season. Another has become an unlikely starter and has performed valiantly.

Who would dare mess with such a magical draft?