Would you trade Jaylon Smith for Noah Spence right now?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't say DE is more important then LB.

Keuchly in Carolina is their most valuable player on defense.

Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman in San Francisco

Smith is a stud and would must likely be our best pass rusher as soon as he steps on the field.
Jaylon Smith was drafted to be a 4-3 LB, not a pass rusher.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guess you don't know about Jaylon Smith. He is a pass rusher
I know all about Jaylon Smith.

Of 4-3 type LBs, he was a very good pass rusher, but he was not drafted to be a pass rusher because 4-3 LBs are normally only used to blitz and that is a very small percentage of their snaps.

If he gets healthy, I would love to see him rush the passer, but playing LB in Marinellis' defense is not going to result in many pass rush opportunities unless Marinelli suddenly changes his style.

Seattle and Denver in the past used a 4-3 LB as a pass rusher but most teams don't. Seattle used Bruce Irvin as LB on base downs and sometimes moved him to DE in the Nickel.

Most people don't realize it, but Denver played a 4-3 with Von Miller as a 4-3 LB until the 2015 season when the brought in Wade Phillips to run the 3-4. Miller was obviously as pass rusher and often lined up at DE in the Nickel.

Summary: Yes, Jaylon Smith could have been a pass rusher for some 4-3 teams but it is unlikely in Marinelli's 4-3 defense.

Reaction score
Wasn't it ecstasy ? Yeah I'm ok with that.

But rather than hypothesize between him and jaylon, I wish they'd have taken him and jaylon
Not possible, as the Bucs took Spence at #39. Unless we would have traded back up, & that would have cost us both the Collins & Tapper picks, at least. Unless you're talking about Smith falling out of the 2nd round.

Proof

Reaction score
Not possible, as the Bucs took Spence at #39. Unless we would have traded back up, & that would have cost us both the Collins & Tapper picks, at least. Unless you're talking about Smith falling out of the 2nd round.

I'm talking about taking spence first and trading back up or jaylon falling out of the 2nd

Proof

Reaction score
If "ifs" & "buts" were candy & nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas...lol! Nice to dream, though.
Yeah no ****. That's why I said I wish. It's hypothetical. In reality I'd have take spence all day long and if jaylon was gone (all indications point to that not being the case or even close) then so be it.

Common Sense

Reaction score

It's pretty hard to make the argument that anyone else would have drafted Smith in the 2nd round.

davidA

Reaction score
LB Jaylon Smith, as we all know, is being red shirted in 2016. Although speculation is all over the place, there is no guarantee he will ever play football again. Spence, on the other hand, is second among rookie linemen with 5.5 sacks. Half a sack is still a sack, so let's give him 6 on the year. 2 of those sacks have been strip sacks that his team recovered. If he was a Cowboy, he would be two full sacks ahead of team leader Tyrone Crawford, & tied for the lead with David Irving for FFs with 3, but one ahead in strips from sacks.

Hindsight is 20/20, & I know that Spence had drug problems while at Ohio State, & had one other incident while at Eastern Kentucky. Since then, he's been clean, & all of his coaches & teammates at both schools raved about him as a person. I know Smith is/was an excellent athlete, but we sure could use a pass rushing presence like Spence on the roster right about now.
no way the upside Jaylon smith is way to high

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Would be really disappointed if they play him at MLB... He isn't stout enough for the middle. Playing him weakside would be the smartest thing they could do with his speed. Move Lee back to middle.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He hasn't taken a snap but yes he should be a MLB. That doesn't mean he can't rush the passer, go watch his film

He played strong-side and ILB for the Irish.

He had just 4.5 sacks for his career at Notre Dame. To say he is was a pass rusher is like saying Zeke Elliott was a WR at Ohio State.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
LB Jaylon Smith, as we all know, is being red shirted in 2016. Although speculation is all over the place, there is no guarantee he will ever play football again. Spence, on the other hand, is second among rookie linemen with 5.5 sacks. Half a sack is still a sack, so let's give him 6 on the year. 2 of those sacks have been strip sacks that his team recovered. If he was a Cowboy, he would be two full sacks ahead of team leader Tyrone Crawford, & tied for the lead with David Irving for FFs with 3, but one ahead in strips from sacks.

Hindsight is 20/20, & I know that Spence had drug problems while at Ohio State, & had one other incident while at Eastern Kentucky. Since then, he's been clean, & all of his coaches & teammates at both schools raved about him as a person. I know Smith is/was an excellent athlete, but we sure could use a pass rushing presence like Spence on the roster right about now.
.5 sack is .5 sack. He wouldnt even lead RDEs in Dallas with sacks. Mayowa leads Dallas with 6. In probably less than half the snaps Spence has

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Let's see...

Edge rusher > MLB.
Already a productive player > Might never take a single snap.

I'm sorry guys, but you have to be pretty dumb not to make that trade. If Spence were a Cowboy and Smith were a Buc, you'd all be laughing at how lopsided that trade would be. And you know it.

Cowboys wouldn't make that trade right now. I'll take the dumb Cowboys and their recent draft track record.