Would you trade Jaylon Smith for Noah Spence right now?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LB Jaylon Smith, as we all know, is being red shirted in 2016. Although speculation is all over the place, there is no guarantee he will ever play football again. Spence, on the other hand, is second among rookie linemen with 5.5 sacks. Half a sack is still a sack, so let's give him 6 on the year. 2 of those sacks have been strip sacks that his team recovered. If he was a Cowboy, he would be two full sacks ahead of team leader Tyrone Crawford, & tied for the lead with David Irving for FFs with 3, but one ahead in strips from sacks.

Hindsight is 20/20, & I know that Spence had drug problems while at Ohio State, & had one other incident while at Eastern Kentucky. Since then, he's been clean, & all of his coaches & teammates at both schools raved about him as a person. I know Smith is/was an excellent athlete, but we sure could use a pass rushing presence like Spence on the roster right about now.
Spence: 2 starts, 5.5 sacks

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not a knock on Smith at all, but I make that trade. Spence will turn into a top end RDE. More valuable to me then a LB.

I think its close when you look soley at long term impact. I think Spence will stay clean, so I dont think he will be a suspension risk. Smith has the ability to impact all three levels of the D and has the brains and character to QB our defense. But Im still sticking with Spence's pass rushing ability. Like Smith, Spence was a top 10 quality player

Common Sense

Reaction score
Let's see...

Edge rusher > MLB.
Already a productive player > Might never take a single snap.

I'm sorry guys, but you have to be pretty dumb not to make that trade. If Spence were a Cowboy and Smith were a Buc, you'd all be laughing at how lopsided that trade would be. And you know it.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
One is winning rookie of the week, the other has a numb foot while posting cliche tweets every day.

Give me the former.

sideon

Reaction score
Does anyone really believe Noah Spence would stay clean if he was here?

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
I would in a heartbeat, a decent pass rush and continued health and focus is about all we need for a surefire SB run.....I know we damn well could get there as is with what we got, and Jaylon is probably gonna wind up legit as can be, but our lack of passrush is the only thing keeping me grounded at his point for SB expectations. Which is probably a good thing, but I just cant help but feel our D will let us down eventually and when it matters most.....but who knows, we may very well get Gregory for the playoffs whilst his appeals last into the off-season, and maybe just maybe he'll raise some hell with fresh legs and ears pinned back not worrying about the run/playcalls etc.....

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
If Spence was on this years team he would probably be their best player on D. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a knock on Smith at all, but I make that trade. Spence will turn into a top end RDE. More valuable to me then a LB.

I think its close when you look soley at long term impact. I think Spence will stay clean, so I dont think he will be a suspension risk. Smith has the ability to impact all three levels of the D and has the brains and character to QB our defense. But Im still sticking with Spence's pass rushing ability. Like Smith, Spence was a top 10 quality player
I hope Spence is not a Randy Moss.

The Cowboys didn't draft Moss because of Irvin's problems. Hopefully they didn't pass on Spence just because of Gregory's issues.

Sydla

Reaction score
I love Smith.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat right now for Spence.

The reason? One is producing on the NFL field at a position of need and one is still a question as to whether he'll even play next year.

I think anyone saying no has their silver and blue goggles on.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
No way I make that trade and it's all based on a photo of Jaylon sitting down and posing for a picture with his nieces (or "playing" as fuzzy dumplins likes to assert) without his AFO on.

Seriously though, I'm a huge Jaylon fan but whether it's Myles Jack, Spence or whomever, I'll always take the player that can produce on the field immediately over a guy that can't (and may never be able to).

haleyrules

Reaction score
This would be an excellent deal for the Cowboys. Smith may never reach his potential and Spence is exactly the tonic the defense needs heading down the road. The only problem is our trading partner is not very likely to take the offer!:(.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

I wouldn't say DE is more important then LB.

Keuchly in Carolina is their most valuable player on defense.

Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman in San Francisco

Smith is a stud and would must likely be our best pass rusher as soon as he steps on the field.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Pretty sure that we all can agree that both players were STUDS in college and both players would be an immediate upgrade to the D. All 'problems' aside, and comparing both players from just talent alone, this is one heck of a question to answer. My opinion, I keep Jaylon hands down. I was always jealous of the the Bears w/ Singletary and now I'm just as jealous of the Panthers w/ Kuechly. I've always wanted a Tom Brady captaining the D and Jaylon would be the first real opportunity of having that player since I've been a Boys fan.

Now, when you add their 'problems' into the equation, I would probably flip my answer. Spence has already 'recovered'. Only God knows if that can/will be said about Jaylon. Obviously, there's a lot of ifs, ands or buts that can be said about both guys, but I need to go with the guy that can use the word 'recover' in the past tense.

Great question OP!