CZ POLL Would you want Kellen Moore hired as head coach if he were to leave after the season?

Would you want Kellen Moore hired as head coach if he were to leave after the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it would be the best time to ask this question because the team is on a six gaming winning streak and satisfaction levels with McCarthy and Moore seem to be strong.

So the question is ..

If after the season, Kellen Moore receives a head coach (NFL or college) offer that he plans to accept, would you want to fire Mike McCarthy and hire Kellen Moore as the Dallas Cowboys head coach or would you keep Mike McCarthy and let Kellen Moore leave?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep MM. KM is no where close to becoming a HC right now.
You do not fire your HC after a successful season (but some have different ideas what that is) just to keep a coach in training.
Jerry tried this once and was a huge 10 year failure.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Absolutely not! Let him go learn how to be a HC somewhere else. Dallas can always hire him some years down the road if he does a good job. We already went through this with Garrett, don’t make that mistake again.

A good OC does not equate to being a good HC, it is a whole different animal.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
To be fair though, this is different in the sense that the team is doing great right now so there is no perception that Kellen Moore is trying to undermine McCarthy in any way like there was with Garrett and Phillips.
2007 was a pretty good year under Phillips. I know it makes no sense to judge it on two different people 11 years ago but, that messed me up enough to be jaded and or cautious.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is tough.

I'm not a McCarthy guy just yet, but I'm getting there.

I'm also not sold on Moore as a head coach yet, but I'm getting there.
Exactly. If I was sure Kellen could multitask that much, definitely. But that's the question. I'd be willing to give him a shot though. I think his play calling and design is more integral to our success than whatever decisions MM has been making.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I love how MM lets his coordinators coach their players and come up with their own schemes. I think he can bring in some good coordinators in the future if we lose some. He has been in the business a long time and he has a lot more connections. He does a lot more for this team then anyone here gives him credit for.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2007 was a pretty good year under Phillips. I know it makes no sense to judge it on two different people 11 years ago but, that messed me up enough to be jaded and or cautious.
Yes, but his last year was what caused Jerry to make the switch. In fact, Jerry keep constantly saying he would not fire a coach during a season before doing just that.

The Cowboys defense had declined and Jerry was always raving about Garrett, so there was more to it than a perception of Garrett undermining Phillips.

That said, I can understand what you are saying because regardless of the perception problem, there are other similarities in play.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I love how MM lets his coordinators coach their players and come up with their own schemes. I think he can bring in some good coordinators in the future if we lose some. He has been in the business a long time and he has a lot more connections. He does a lot more for this team then anyone here gives him credit for.
At the same time, Moore could hire people to do the things that would stretch him out too much.

Plankton

Reaction score
It's hard to know how much Moore knows about defense, special teams, roster coordination and being able to lead the entire locker room. And, deal with the issues that the Joneses present.

I don't think that Dallas is where any first time coach should get their start, especially with this ownership group.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Poll is super flawed what was our season like? NFCCG appearance loss , 1st round blowout loss, 2nd round close loss,???

Im saying no right now because i believe KM is still green as a coach and MM needs fair shot to finish what he started, now 2023 different answer, most likely...

Id take MM and him taking over play calling for 2022 over no MM and KM trying to do it all..

we al MM called plays most of his NFL career and includes a SV and 2 NFCCG appearances. The offense is very talented and no doubt MM could be the play caller like reid and have an OC do the other responsibility's.

still bewildering you think KM is solely responsible for game pans and the way this offense has developed since MM arrived.. MM isnt just walking around 90hrs week and not have input..MM has had positive effect on this entire team but especially the offense and KM..

Status
Not open for further replies.